Us

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Us

Post by peter »

This Jordan Peele directed horror/thriller carrys on in the same vein as Get Out, and establishes the director as something a bit special in a market pretty crowded with workaday painting by numbers practitioners.

Taking a family vacation to the beach resort of Santa Cruz, the scene of an earlier traumatic incident for the mother of the two children.......

(I've forgotten the damn family name and I can't start new tabs on my device for some reason, without loosing my existing post, so if this sounds a bit weird :roll: )

......, the (insert name here) family find things gradually descending into first deep uneasyness and then outright terror as they are besieged in their holiday-home by a family of red jumpsuited doppelgangers (for themselves) whose behaviour is unnerving to put it mildly.

As the film progresses and the conflict mounts, it becomes apparent that the situation has deep connectionswith the earlier traumatic incident experienced by the mother, and one of the doppelgangers, more coherently vocal than the rest (though only marginally so) was present at this time and is driving the events we are seeing in result of it. The film is somewhat difficult to pull together and as Peele has observed that nothing in the film is present without purpose (and I believe him, this is clearly very deeply thought out) it certainly begs, and is worth a second viewing. This difficulty in no way reduces the satisfaction of the quirky twist at the end - or of the movie as a whole; one is left with a good feeling of wanting to tie up the loose ends while still having got enough of the gist to be satisfied.

Of the deeper allegorical meaning - and I'm sure that there is one there, I can't really comment. I need to see and think about the film for a good while longer yet, before I'm ready for that conversation - but in all, I had a fine time with this film.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “Flicks”