Cobra Kai

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Cobra Kai

Post by Rigel »

I heard about this back when it debuted on Youtube and thought, "Well that's a dumb idea for a show." And, it is... But it's an incredibly well written dumb idea :D

If you haven't run across it yet, the basic premise is that it follows the lives of the characters from The Karate Kid thirty years later. Daniel is now a car salesman who trades on his high-school trophies in his advertising ("We're chopping prices! We kick the competition!"). Johnny is a handyman who loses his job and decides to re-open the Cobra Kai karate dojo. The series is mostly divided into two separate threads, with one focusing on these two adults who should be friends but can't get over their high-school rivalry, and the other focusing on the teenagers they both begin to teach (Johnny in an attempt at earning money first, but then later to better both his own life and the lives of the kids he teaches; Daniel in an attempt to show up Johnny and continue their rivalry).

There's lots of melodrama. High school relationship stuff like who kissed who. Questions of loyalty, like when Johnny's own son decides to train with Daniel instead. The competing schools facing each other in the All Valley Karate Tournament. There's also the original cast of Ralph Macchio, William Zabka, and others.

But most importantly, it's just very well written. The characters are believable as middle-aged men who are still fixated on high school, and the kids are never so zany as to defy belief (This is not Saved By the Bell). Characters show real growth and change.

If you've been giving this one a pass I'd strongly recommend you check out an episode or two. The first two seasons are on Netflix now, and the third season should release sometime in 2021 (filming completed last year, but the pandemic pushed everything back).
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Actually, it is a pretty good show and I am glad they are making it.

Daniel is not able to think that people could possibly change and Johnny is actually trying to repair the train wreck he made of his life.

Kreese....okay, Kreese has not changed at all.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I can't believe this has been made. I can't believe the original cast is back. I can't believe how I can't stop watching it. :lol:

It's cheesy, at first. But I love how they have reinterpreted something from our childhood from the perspective of the "bad guy." It actually makes the Karate Kid look like a jerk. Sort of.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

https://youtu.be/rMsLvLshZBQ

Patton Oswalt's Johnny Lawrence Story.

Language alert.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

We enjoyed the 1st Season. I agree with Zar that is interesting to see the story from Johnny's perspective, and while that actor may not be the best in the world, the character is great and it's been fun to watch his progression.

Daniel does appear to be a jerk at first, but as the show progresses the story is told from both of their perspectives, which is great.

Second season isn't as good as the first. It's painful at time to see these actors who really aren't trained in karate try to pull of fight scenes.

We're looking forward to season 3.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Truthfully, neither Johnny nor Daniel should be teaching anyone karate becasue they are not teaching them how not to use it. Random real-world fights happens from time to time but anyone purposefully picking fights like characters like Tory or Hawk do would get them banned from almost every legitimate dojo in existence.

Suspension of disbelief aside, there is no school in existence which would have allowed the climax of Season 2. Also--attempted murder on Robbie's part? All those people filming thing as they transpire at the end of season 2 would prove in a court that "self defense" did not occur.

Season 1 was for the adults who remember the movies. Season 2 is for the teenagers.

On a different tangent...suspension of disbelief not possible here--Johnny was installing TVs and other electronic equipment in people's homes and yet was that oblivious to modern smart tech and barely knew anything about the Internet? I call bullshit.

I thought it was a joke when he verbalized a URL as "www period cobrakai period com" but I have actually heard users at this job give me their IP addresses that way--172 period 20 period number period number.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Return to “TV Shows”