Gay SciFi/Fantasy?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

FaTeke
Stonedownor

Gay SciFi/Fantasy?

Post by FaTeke »

Anyone know any science fiction or fantasy books that have gay characters?

I read a fantasy series a while back where the main character was gay, it wasn't the best I've ever read ( I can't even remember the series ) but it was still interesting.

Just curious.

Take care,
Matthew
"So shines a good deed in a weary world."
Willy Wonka
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Hmmm . . . I know that in the fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire that one character,
Spoiler
Loras
, is gay. It doesn't say for sure but there are strong hints, and there's also the fact that he was a member of the Rainbow Guard and was called the "Knight of Flowers". Maybe that's my imagination running wild, but, heh, it's a funny thought.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

There's a certian character in Mordant's Need who may have preformed an evil, violent act that, un42nately, may fall somewhere at the edge of those parameters...the same thing might, just might be true at a certian part of the Neverness SF series...
fall far and well Pilots!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Foul - wrt aSoIaF, it's almost certain Renly and Loras were gay lovers. Xaro Xhoan Doxas has his palace full of half-dressed young boys, and Doran Martell supposedly goes both ways. None are particularly important characters, however.

In the Sword of Truth series, there's a soldier who likes young boys (but that's just an excuse for Goodkind to punish him in a certain way later), and there's a pair of lesbian lovers.

In 'the Curse of Chalion' and 'Paladin of Souls', there are minor references to homosexuality, but no characters met in the books that are (a pair of lovers talked about a few times, both dead before timeline of stories).

That's all the ones I know of.
Of course, all of them are fairly minor and unimportant...
Last edited by I'm Murrin on Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The only author that comes to mind as being a specifically gay-oriented SF writer is Samuel Delaney.

In Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun there is a female invading army, the Triviguanti, that have a very poor opinion of men, straight sex being only for procreation.
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

I read several of Mercedes Lackey's books when I was younger. Most of them are set in the same universe, at various points in the history of the world. There was one trilogy about a Mage named Vanyel, and his lover, Stefan, who were openly gay. And while not the point of the story obviously, they did deal with some discrimination issues. :( The books are called Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, and Magic's Price. And while they are mostly directed at a younger audience, they were fun at the time. 8)
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Marion Zimmer Bradley has many gay characters in her Darkover series, both male and female.
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale is the only sci-fi book I've read with a main (at least prominent) lesbian character. The only other sci-fi/fantasy authors I'm familiar with, who include gay characters in their novels, are Samuel Delaney and Thomas Disch.

Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I just read a story the other day in Legends II by a Diana Galbadon (hope I spelled that right) with a gay hero named Lord John Grey. He is an officer in the British miltary circa 1750's. He is a likeable and honorable man, who believes in science rather than the supernatural. The introduction said that she has either written, or is in the process of writing some novels with him as the main character.
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

Melanie Rawn's The Ruins of Ambrai has two gay men as (main) characters, though she has so many characters in her book that it's hard to name any as main.

Towards the end of Ruins you are introduced to a lesbian character as well, though she's not a main character.

Ms. Rawn is very free about sexuality in these books, and they're all the more interesting because they're set in a female dominant culture!

However the third book isn't due out for another 18 mos. to five years... :cry:

Enjoy, these books are incredible.

-BtC
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Ricardo Pinto's fantasy trilogy-in-progress, THE CHOSEN and THE STANDING DEAD, is gay-oriented. Pinto is an extremely talented writer. But you might curse me if I recommended him (I would <g>), because he has created such a horrible society.

Better to turn to Mary Renault, THE PERSIAN BOY and THE LAST OF THE WINE (not sure about that second title). Rewarding gay romances are at the center of both books. Renault is regarded with admiration, even awe, by most writers in that field.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

birdandbear wrote:I read several of Mercedes Lackey's books when I was younger.
I read Storm Rising (or most of it) quite recently, and several of the prominent characters are gay - An'desha and Firesong are a constantly bickering gay couple, and Silverfox "comforts" Firesong when An'desha ditches him.
___
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ___ »

Me own comic book show me friend Jim Wilson dying of AIDS. Me think it be a very sad and powerful story. Me miss friend Jim. Me think it be issue 420.
When the man with a 45 meets the man with a rifle, you said the man with a pistol is a dead man. Let's see if it's true.
FaTeke
Stonedownor

Post by FaTeke »

danlo wrote:There's a certian character in Mordant's Need who may have preformed an evil, violent act that, un42nately, may fall somewhere at the edge of those parameters...the same thing might, just might be true at a certian part of the Neverness SF series...
Really? Gosh, its been a while since I read those, who are you referring to and what act?

Take care,
Matthew
Willy Wonka
FaTeke
Stonedownor

Post by FaTeke »

Wow, I'm delighted and surprised at the response to this thread. I was wondering if my question would be welcomed or scorned.

Let me recap the suggestions so far:

A Song of Ice and Fire (George RR Martin?)
I've heard a lot about this book, its part of a series right? I should probably read it.

Mordants Need: danlo, can you expand on this? Who are you referring to and what did they do?

Curse of Chalion (what author?)
Paladin of Souls

Books by Samual Delaney (any specific books you'd recommend?)

Book of the Long Sun (Author?)

Mercedes Lackey: Magics Pawn; Magics Price; Storm Rising (any more recommendations from Ms. Lackey?)

Marion Zimmer Bradley - Darkover series I've read some other MZB books and loved them I'll have to check this series out.

Margaret Atwood: Handmaids Tale

Thomas Disch: any recommendations from this author?

Diana Galbadon: Legends II

Melanie Rawn: Ruins of Anbrai

Ricardo Pinto: The Chosen; The Standing Dead

Mary Renault: the Persian Boy; The Last of the Wine

Very cool everyone thanks for the suggestions I appreciate it.
But from what I'm reading here it sounds like almost exclusively Fantasy stuff. Any SciFi out there?

Take care,
Matthew
Willy Wonka
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Curse of Chalion and Palladin of Souls are written by Lois McMaster Bujold. She also wrote a science fiction book called Ethan of Athos that is set partially on a planet inhabited only by gay men (they reproduce by high tech means) -- the planet and society of Athos is shown in a sympathetic light...
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Orson Scott Card's SONGMASTER was just mentioned on another thread. That's sci fi w/ important gay characters.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

FaTeke wrote:any more recommendations from Ms. Lackey?
I think "recommendation" is a little strong :P I found Storm Rising quite dry and consequently difficult to read. Easier than LOTR though ;)

Oh, and Book of the Long Sun is Gene Wolfe.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Many years ago, I read Delany's Troubles on Triton

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/ ... ce&s=books

Fit's what your looking for, I believe.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Well, (beware Mordant's Need spoiler)
Spoiler
Master Gilbur and what he may or may not have done with Nyle