Pictures of Revelstone

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Eric

Pictures of Revelstone

Post by Eric »

The one problem I had in the books was being able to visually picture some of the locales, like Revelstone and Kevin's Watch. If anyone knows of a place/book I can find pictures of them I'd be eternally grateful.

I'm rereading Lord Foul's Bane and I still cannot get a good visual on Revelstone and it's nagging at me. Thanks in advance.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I've never been able to visualize such things in any books I've ever read. I just can't do it, and usually don't even bother looking at the maps, because it doesn't much help me. And going by the reaction of the First and Pitchwife, I guess this is a great loss on my part.

However - the above post is not me. :LOLS:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

:?:
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Really? One of the reasons I hate going to movies made from books is that the film director's vision is never the same as mine.

It's a shame I'm a lousy artist, 'cause I know exactly what Revelstone looks like.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Re: Pictures of Revelstone

Post by dlbpharmd »

Eric wrote:The one problem I had in the books was being able to visually picture some of the locales, like Revelstone and Kevin's Watch. If anyone knows of a place/book I can find pictures of them I'd be eternally grateful.

I'm rereading Lord Foul's Bane and I still cannot get a good visual on Revelstone and it's nagging at me. Thanks in advance.
You need to find a copy of The Atlas of The Land, by Karen Fonstad. It's been out of print for several years but I'm sure you can find a copy on ebay. I bought mine on ebay some months ago for around $12, including shipping.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

MM, the reason Fist is saying it is not him is because his real name is Eric. :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Thanks, Duchess, I forgot. :oops:
Mystikan
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mystikan »

I've created a picture of what I think Revelstone looks like and sent it to Jay over at the KW site, but if you don't want to wait until it's published (hopefully it will be), here's a smaller preview:

I wasn't sure if the Giants actually preserved the natural rock formations when they built it or if they completely resculpted the rock face to form angular surfaces. I assumed they formed angular surfaces and thus made Revelstone look like a sort of angular, churchy castle. I'm not 100% on this picture, so if any of you have any ideas you want to contribute, please feel free to offer suggestions! If so, I'll have another crack at doing Revelstone using your ideas... so Cail especially, if you don't think film directors' visions match your own, here's your chance to have some artistic input on a pic of Revelstone! :D

Actually, this might be an interesting project... how close can I get to what you guys imagine Revelstone to look like!? :)
The only difference between light and dark is the ability to tell the difference.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

mmm..., no
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Stone and Sea! I like it. I'm seeing chess pieces here and there but I like it. A good vision as any.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

No, I see Revelstone as being much more natural - carved into the rock, preserving its natural beauty, rather intensifying it.

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

That's how I picture it, too. But when I went to the book, there was all that talk about ornament.
The wall was intricately labored -- lines and coigned and serried with regular and irregular groups of windows, balconies, buttresses -- orieled and parapeted -- wrought in a prolific and seemingly spontaneous multitude of details which appeared to be on the verge of crystallizing into a pattern. But light flashed and danced on the polished cliff face, and the wealth of variation in the work overwhelmed Covenant's senses...
It still pleases me to think of it as roughly worked rock, adapted as little as possible from the reality of the mountain.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

amanibhavam wrote:No, I see Revelstone as being much more natural - carved into the rock, preserving its natural beauty, rather intensifying it.
I think so too. :)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Now I've got to get my Revelstone renderings up. As long as I can learn to edit and cut down photos so I can get my dragon painting and Mordant's Need Map up first. :-|
fall far and well Pilots!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Where's the Mordants Need map?! I want it! I'm hungry! And we hvae run out of pies...
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

OK, OK I'll load the stupid Wal-Mart edit-primer in the next two days and see if I can figure it out. As Bob said when Weebl's spaceship destroyed the pie factory, "MY LIFE HAS NO MEANING!" 8O :D
fall far and well Pilots!
Mystikan
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mystikan »

Danlo: If you want some pointers on editing photos, I'll be happy to to help you out. Are you using Photoshop? And what type of editing do you need to do?

Amanibhavam, Darth Revan, Joy: I actually agree that Revelstone was probably intended to look more natural than I made it look, which was why I said I was not 100% on this pic. Question is, how natural - what sort of mix of artificiality and naturality are we talking here? Noting Joy's quote from LFB, it is obvious the Giants had considerably revamped the natural cliff face. I've had visualisations ranging from the very natural Caves of Elephanta in India, which look quite primitive, to the angular Camelot-like image above. Actually, the city of Edom (the place used as the last resting place of the Grail in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) is probably a reasonable approximation... I'll try a few things out in this area.

I might point out that I use Terragen and World-Machine to do the natural landscape, and Cinema4D to do the structure. Integrating the two is difficult and I'm still experimenting with ways of doing this. Revelstone represents a great challenge in that the building should appear to be part of the landscape, built INTO the cliff face, not just composited on top of it.

BTW, if anyone is interested in having a go at doing places in the Land with Terragen, it's available for free download here. It's easy to learn, intuitive and fun. You can also use World-Machine to easily generate natural looking landscapes (with erosion, river valleys etc) - you can get that (also free) here. You don't need to be an artist to use them either, so have a look and a play, and show us what you come out with! :)
The only difference between light and dark is the ability to tell the difference.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Hey Mystikan! Thank you for sharing the links to Terragen & World-Machine. I've downloaded them and have generated a few landscapes with terragen. Very cool stuff. I'm a CAD draftsman by trade but I dabble in different art forms. I have a few as yet unused bits of software that might assist me in generating buildings and flora. I have a pretty clear idea as to what I think Revelstone looks like and if I can get up to speed on this software I may be able to contribute something. I think what you've created so far is pretty cool. :D
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

You should look at Genesis II. Very impressive stuff, and free, too. www.geomantics.com

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

amanibhavam wrote:You should look at Genesis II. Very impressive stuff, and free, too. www.geomantics.com
I gave Genesis a try, amanibhavam. You are right very cool and I like the price. :D I have a friend who uses a program called Bryce that is incredible for these things. I understand that it is very expensive though. :-(
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”