Ouija boards

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Ouija boards

Post by Revan »

Have you ever had a go of one? I have not, sadly. :( If you have.... can you describe your experience? What stories have you heard about them? And if you haven't had a go of one... would you ever consider having a go if you got the chance?
Sheol
Giantfriend

Post by Sheol »

my sister had a board a wile ago and ew would contact people on the "other sidde" as she would say, we had a few creepy experiences with it. a bunch of us went out to a local grave yard and my cousin asked a ghost to prove that he existed but noting happened so we went to leave. none of the cars would start for a wile but then they did and whenwe got back to my cousins placce the key wouldnt fit so we had to go in a window, when we turned on the lights they popped and that was about it. when my sister got married her husband demanded that she acceped god so she, my other sister and i had a bon fire and she found her board and threw it in. just second later when she was looking at her magazine she said "should i get my hair cut and she put the magazine in. a gout of fire burst twards her and singed all the hair on her head. it was one of those creepy coincidences 8O. my other sisters friend had one and when it kept coming back after she threw it in the garbage she threw it in her fire place and all of the letters turned to blood. :evil: i got some other cool ghost stories, gust ask if you want to here them
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Be careful what doors you open...
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

I've never tried one, they creep me out, but I'm just a wuss like that. Besides, anyone I did it with would probably just move the thing around themsleves.

Pie and Cake
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I don't put much stock in the supernatural aspects of something made in Parker Brothers' Plant #5 in Akron, OH. Or wherever. But we tried it when I was a kid. Nothing happened. :(
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I only played with a Ouija board once, and the day after I got a 104 degree fever and was out of school for a week.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I have no belief what so ever in Ouija Boards. As far as I know there is no evidence for their ability to contact the dead. No offense to people who have posted in 'support' of them, but I think the belief in Ouija boards comes more from a bias in thinking than any real life experience. What I mean is that when you use them, and I have in the past, you get brought into a way of thinking; you think, believe or not, that you are contacting the realm of the spirits or some evil presence. This undoubtedly causes you to come into a frame of mind where you will interpret things differently. So when Lord Foul comments on his fever the day after, I am of the opinion that perhaps he was biased into thinking so BECAUSE of using the board. Many people expect creepy things to happen, so we are in that frame of mind to pick up on anything odd that happens quite regularly, and if not regularly, to make a causal assumption that use of the ouija board causes strange things. Say I use a ouija board tonight. The next day I kick my toe - was that because of the board use? Or perhaps it was an odd event. It is not unusual for the human mind to make funny connections simply bacause we are primed for that sort of thought.

When I used it it told me I was soon to be married. That hasn't happened, but immediately after the candle did a 'strange' thing. Statistically, odd things happen. So we believe that it was a ghost when in fact it was just a unique occurrence.

Further, that different frame of mind will also tend to remember odd things and chuck odd ordinary things, so the night is 'loaded' with creepy events. We will probably distort the truth as well, so that an event will be blown out of proportion or we will simply hear something or see something when it didn't occur; the mind plays funny tricks like that.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

I've "played" with a variation of one many times but haven't done so for almost 15 years. I believe they certainly do have something behind them that isn't of this world.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Ur-Vile wrote:So when Lord Foul comments on his fever the day after, I am of the opinion that perhaps he was biased into thinking so BECAUSE of using the board.
I don't believe in Ouija boards myself. I was just saying it like one would over a campfire, to stir up scary thoughts. Boo! And such. But I really did get a fever. At the time I was a lot younger, and, at the time, I attributed it to dabbling with the Ouija board.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Ur-Vile wrote:I have no belief what so ever in Ouija Boards. As far as I know there is no evidence for their ability to contact the dead. No offense to people who have posted in 'support' of them, but I think the belief in Ouija boards comes more from a bias in thinking than any real life experience. What I mean is that when you use them, and I have in the past, you get brought into a way of thinking; you think, believe or not, that you are contacting the realm of the spirits or some evil presence. This undoubtedly causes you to come into a frame of mind where you will interpret things differently. So when Lord Foul comments on his fever the day after, I am of the opinion that perhaps he was biased into thinking so BECAUSE of using the board. Many people expect creepy things to happen, so we are in that frame of mind to pick up on anything odd that happens quite regularly, and if not regularly, to make a causal assumption that use of the ouija board causes strange things. Say I use a ouija board tonight. The next day I kick my toe - was that because of the board use? Or perhaps it was an odd event. It is not unusual for the human mind to make funny connections simply bacause we are primed for that sort of thought.

When I used it it told me I was soon to be married. That hasn't happened, but immediately after the candle did a 'strange' thing. Statistically, odd things happen. So we believe that it was a ghost when in fact it was just a unique occurrence.

Further, that different frame of mind will also tend to remember odd things and chuck odd ordinary things, so the night is 'loaded' with creepy events. We will probably distort the truth as well, so that an event will be blown out of proportion or we will simply hear something or see something when it didn't occur; the mind plays funny tricks like that.
Quite so. Granny Weatherwax calls it headology 8) In brief...Granny Weatherwax...Discworld witch...cursing people is all about making the noises so when their dog dies, they attribute it to you. Same thing here. As you say, Ur-Vile...today I've got a git of a toothache - perhaps if I'd been using a ouija board last night I would think it's a supernatural toothache.

On the other hand, I keep an open mind about the supernatural. So, in summary: meh ;)
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

I am a Ouija board. Hah! I had you all fooled; all this time you thought I was a person. I bet you're all feeling really silly right about now. And you should be too; I mean, confusin a Ouija board with a person... tut tut tut.
Edinburghemma
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edinburghemma »

I am certainly up for giving it a go. Shall we do it at the legendary upcoming mystical UK Elohimfest?
The reality is in this head. Mine. I'm the projector at the planetarium, all the closed little universe visible in the circle of that stage is coming out of my mouth, eyes, and sometimes other orifices also.
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

I beleive we should. I may be of some use there afterall.
Edinburghemma
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edinburghemma »

But of course you shall be of use, that and table dancing in a tutu. We must organise or be damned.
The reality is in this head. Mine. I'm the projector at the planetarium, all the closed little universe visible in the circle of that stage is coming out of my mouth, eyes, and sometimes other orifices also.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Fist and Faith wrote:I don't put much stock in the supernatural aspects of something made in Parker Brothers' Plant #5 in Akron, OH. Or wherever. But we tried it when I was a kid. Nothing happened. :(
It isn't Parker Brothers. "You are the supernatural." (To paraphrase Mhoram.) I've seen some people who have had excellent results from it. But I had the same experience as you when I tried it. Nothing happened.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

My parents used it at many a party and said many strange things happened. They were very drunk at the time--what they really needed were the right drugs! :haha:
fall far and well Pilots!
Sheol
Giantfriend

Post by Sheol »

i am not all to sure i believe it to but it is fun. all the things that happen might just be coincedence but it is still cool
My right hand is lightning and my left is thunder.
My eyes are flame.
My heart is ashes.
Look upon me and tremble.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Lord Foul wrote:
Ur-Vile wrote:So when Lord Foul comments on his fever the day after, I am of the opinion that perhaps he was biased into thinking so BECAUSE of using the board.
I don't believe in Ouija boards myself. I was just saying it like one would over a campfire, to stir up scary thoughts. Boo! And such. But I really did get a fever. At the time I was a lot younger, and, at the time, I attributed it to dabbling with the Ouija board.
Or it might have been the fact the you were out in the open and just caught a cold that way.... :P
Edinburghemma
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edinburghemma »

Apparently you should only use plain boards and attach letters written on pieces of paper to them. Something to do with getting rid of bad spirits quickly, I think.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I was thinking of playing it.. but friends and Sarah say to not mess with that stuff... They are either cowards, or very wise... :?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”