Who Are The Good People?

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Hearthcoal
Lord

Who Are The Good People?

Post by Hearthcoal »

In TCoTC, Donaldson takes TC and the reader to "The Land", a realm populated with gracious, noble people uniting to fight valiantly against a dread foe. On one level the story is "good" vs. "evil".

In The Gap the reader is taken to a universe filled with unsavory characters who are threatened by aliens that seem even worse.

Where are the "good" people, and why should this universe be saved from the aliens?

To View Archive: Who Are The Good People?
DirectorDios
<i>Elohim</i>

Re: Who are the Good People"

Post by DirectorDios »

I read the archive of responses to this question and was quite miffed that no one seems to have gotten the point! - With very few if ANY exceptions there ARE NO GOOD PEOPLE in The Gap Series! Morn killed her family, Dios had a world of past guilt, Angus...well nuf' said there, Nick was just a complete scum, everyone on Captains Fancy was an illegal with a record of horrendous acts, everyone on the Council with the possible exception of Sixten was compromised, Min was known as Dios's executioner...make of that title what you will - It goes on and on and on - It's like Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven" there really are no "Good Guys" It's just like real life! How many people on this planet could you name as pure, blameless and guiltless good guys? Very, very few I think. So the PROPER answer to the question posed in this thread is. There aren't any. So There! :x
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Yeah, what DirectorDios said!
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
pitchwife
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by pitchwife »

I thought Vector comes close to earning that title.
-pitch
We are who we are - and what we are not, we will never become
DirectorDios
<i>Elohim</i>

Re: I thought Vector comes close to earning that title

Post by DirectorDios »

NO Vector does not come close to earning the title of "one of the good guys....If you recall, in a meeting on board Captains Fancy, when discussing the fact that Davies was to be sold to the Amnioni, Vector makes the statement, "We've done worse." - He doesn't go into specific details, but I think that takes him out of the running for, "good guy" IMHO

Sorry Pitch! :?
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

In timeline of the Gap Series, Mikka, Sib, Vector, Liete, Malda Verone and the others come across as good people, but it's likely that they've committed some atrocities in the past.

I'd say that the only truly 'good' people in the series are:

Davies,

Ciro (too young to be blamed for anything that Captain's Fancy might have previously done, in my opinion),

Min Donner, Dolph Ubikwe, Koina Hannish (all maneuvered into their positions precisely because Dios knew they were untouchable)
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Davies I'm not so sure about ... he seems to be a bit too whingey ... I mean even his Mum had gone through hell and high water and protected him a bit, but no, that's harsh, he had a tough time.

But he's just got a bad attitude, perhaps that's because he's a result of the circumstances. I dunno, I just felt like I wished he sold off ... to serve him right for thinking he had a right to as much angst as everybody else.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

the good people? they got leprosy and died... TC would say :-D

me never liked Davies, I do not know why
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Remember Davies was "force grown" small wonder he assimilates every1 else's angst...his brain had 2 catch up w/EVERYTHING else--fakin' it till he was makin' it, so 2 speak...and then there was that strange, "ozmosis", thing he went thru w/his mom...freaky! 8O
fall far and well Pilots!
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I'm rereading Forbidden Knowledge and I must tell I am almost sorry for Nick, you know, how he was chetaed on Enablement, finding out that the kid was not his at all... Morn was not 100% pure, either, I must say
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

No I always felt sorry for Nick at enablement .. and Morn used Nick .. in a not so in your face way .. not unlike Angus used her

.. yeah and I felt bad for Nick when he found out she didnt give a rats about him either!!

I dont think SRD wrote Morn to be his victim character .. he made her as grey as the other characters .. so human .. with shades of good and not so good!

I never really liked Davies much either .. and even though Angus was forced to make some redemptive effort .. I never entirely forgave him for his treatment of Morn in the Real Story.

And to be completely honest .. even Morn got on my nerves toward the end ..

haha .. they all suck!! .. :P :P :P :wink: :lol: lol
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Yep they were all scum, no denying.

Nick did get a lot of garbage happen to him, but he more than paid it back.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The good people are those that see their guilt and seek redemption - so Morn, Angus (yes, Angus), Warden. In comparison, evil may be those that cannot recognise their guilt nor seek redemption: so, Nick, the Amnion, Holt. These sorts are driven by some need.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

The good people are those that try and do their best for others. So Mikka, Ciro, Warden, Angus (Towards the end, he was a good character), Davis, Koina, Min, Dolph etc
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

and not Morn, Darth? :?
fall far and well Pilots!
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I wonder if SRD was trying to make a point about human nature with the Gap. That no one is truly good or evil, just differing shades of grey.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

danlo wrote:and not Morn, Darth? :?
Who?! ;)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I don't think the Gap series really needs good people - that defeats the whole concept of the books; it's all about redemption. If Morn, Vector or Warden were 'good' that would mean they had no sins. The Gap series explores how the people 'atone' for their actions - how it drives them.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

good point...if your characters are "good" people, they're also stagnant as characters and generally uninteresting.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

A good point also UrLord 8)

Return to “The Gap Series”