Earthsea Mini-series

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Earthsea Mini-series

Post by [Syl] »

I haven't read the books, but since I know there are some fans here...
www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2 ... 16.00.film

And if this can be done, why not...
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I hope this is more of a reality than the reputed Amber mini-series, also on Sci-Fi...(never happened to my knowledge :()
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

And don't forget to visit your friendly, neighborhood Le Guin forum: pub189.ezboard.com/fahirashangarfrm37 :mrgreen:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

woooooo hoooooooo!!! great news! I was wondering if this was still in the works. Danny Glover as Ogion?? COOL!!! Not sure about the guy they have playing Ged, tho. Hope he can pull it off...

LOTR has opened the door again it seems, huh? Earthsea, Narnia and now The Hobbit all being filmed... Just hope they all do the books justice. :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Dang! I know I'll watch it anyway, but Shawn Ashmore? Yuk he doesn't look a thing like Ged. He was ok as Bobby in Xmen but they could have made a better choice? Then again there aren't that many talented young male actors out there are there?
fall far and well Pilots!
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

No, there aren't. Anyway, will Xanth be next? Pern? Ender's Game? Foundation? This is a great time to be a kid again.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

humina humina

Kristin Kreuk??? ALL possible errors are forgiven!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Glover as Ogion? Interesting... Ashmore as Ged? 8O Hmmm... :? Kristin as Tenar? 8) ;)
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Looks like this is still happening.....I saw commercials for it while watching the Farscape movie tonight. December 13th I think it said.....looked pretty cool. Now I'll just have to read the books in the next couple of months.... :D
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Well, The Mists of Avalon miniseries this guy did was really just kind of awful. Of course, the book was somewhat flawed, too (don't flame me, I just think the whining got repetitive after awhile! Story was ok!)
Anyway, I don't know if I trust him with Earthsea....Danny Glover and Isabella Rossellini are both lovely, though...

Hmm.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

I've been hearing about this project for a few years and was looking forward to it very much. But the promos bear precious little resemblence to the stories I read, although the cast seems okay.

Except...well...doesn't anyone remember that Ged is black? The main, civilized people of the Archipelicho are explicitly stated as being very dark, while the warlike barbarians of Kargad are pale with straw-colored hair.

*sigh* :?
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

www.scifi.com/earthsea/

This is the official site. Be warned tho, it has alot of java script so it may load really slow for those on dialup.

It looks like it will be good. I'm kind of disappointed that they are stopping it at the end of Atuan and not going on to the Farthest Shore, which is where the most breath taking scenes with Orm Ember take place. It also leaves out Lebannen. :(
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Zahir wrote:Except...well...doesn't anyone remember that Ged is black?
Ged isn't black. Estarriol and the other people of the East Reach are black, the people of the central Archipelago are kind of olive/Mediterranean. The Kargs are Scandinavian.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Ged has a good tan! 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Gotta point out that Ursula K. LeGuin says he is black. She outta know.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

She's lying
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

I'm still watching the promos, and frankly what I see little resembles the books I read.
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Here is what Ms. LeGuin had to say in her official website ( www.ursulakleguin.com ):
"Miss Le Guin was not involved in the development of the material or the making of the film, but we've been very, very honest to the books," explains director Rob Lieberman. "We've tried to capture all the levels of spiritualism, emotional content and metaphorical messages. Throughout the whole piece, I saw it as having a great duality of spirituality versus paganism and wizardry, male and female duality. The final moments of the film culminate in the union of all that and represent two different belief systems in this world, and that's what Ursula intended to make a statement about. The only thing that saves this Earthsea universe is the union of those two beliefs."
--Sci Fi Magazine, December 2004

I've tried very hard to keep from saying anything at all about this production, being well aware that movies must differ in many ways from the books they're based on, and feeling that I really had no business talking about it, since I was not included in planning it and was given no part in discussions or decisions.

That makes it particularly galling of the director to put words in my mouth.

Mr Lieberman has every right to say what his intentions were in making the film he directed, called "Earthsea." He has no right at all to state what I intended in writing the Earthsea books.

Had "Miss Le Guin" been honestly asked to be involved in the planning of the film, she might have discussed with the film-makers what the books are about.

When I tried to suggest the unwisdom of making radical changes to characters, events, and relationships which have been familiar to hundreds of thousands of readers all over the world for over thirty years, I was sent a copy of the script and informed that production was already under way.

So, for the record: there is no statement in the books, nor did I ever intend to make a statement, about "the union of two belief systems." There's nothing at all about the "duality of spirituality and paganism," whatever that means, either.

Earlier in the article, Robert Halmi is quoted as saying that Earthsea "has people who believe and people who do not believe." I can only admire Mr Halmi's imagination, but I wish he'd left mine alone.

In the books, the wizardry of the Archipelago and the ritualism of the Kargs are opposed and united, like the yang and yin. The rejoining of the broken arm-ring is a symbol of the restoration of an unresting, active balance, offering a risky chance of peace.

This has absolutely nothing to do with "people who believe and people who do not believe." That terrible division into Believers and Unbelievers (itself a matter not of reason but of belief) is one which bedevils Christianity and Islam and drives their wars.

But the wizards of Earthsea would look on such wars as madness, and the dragons of Earthsea would laugh at them and fly away...

Toto, something tells me Earthsea isn't Iraq.

I wonder if the people who made the film of The Lord of the Rings had ended it with Frodo putting on the Ring and ruling happily ever after, and then claimed that that was what Tolkien "intended..." would people think they'd been "very, very honest to the books"?

Ursula K. Le Guin
13 November 2004
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Wow...hmmmm

I had my doubts about this too. But I will watch it anyway.
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Sigh, well Part 1 wasn't much to my liking. For one thing, they got Ged's name backwards. His true name is Ged and his use name is Sparrowhawk, not the other way around. Kossil in league with the Karag king to KILL Thar?? WHAT?!?!?! Thar CHOOSING the next priestess??? And I was appalled to see Roke invaded and the Archmage murdered by the Karag king and that WHELP Jasper. Good grief. And the Nameless Ones?? Don't even get me started on that!! :rant: :x
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”