Bush, the "Holy Emperor"

Archive From The 'Tank
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Bush, the "Holy Emperor"

Post by Lord Mhoram »

The influence of Bush's faith on his presidency becomes more and more evident as he claims that his chosen judge's shall follow the "Law of God." This borders on unconsitutional. 8O How do you feel about the way Bush's faith has influenced his decision making and his presidency in general?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I think there's nothing wrong with a man's faith leading him, but Bush tries too hard to be seen putting it out in front of him. On one hand it's offensive to me because I don't follow those beliefs, but on the other it's offensive to me because it doesn't feel genuine.

It's like the gay marriage issue. Does anybody agree with the President on this one? Sure, most people are probably against gay "marriage," but who thinks it's the federal government's right to say so? Aren't conservatives supposed to be against this kind of thing (not that too many people really remember the true definition of conservative and liberal)? But Bush would change the Constitution over a moral issue... it boggles my mind.

In my opinion, Bush has nothing else to bring to the table on this next election. No Osama, nobody seems to care about Hussein with Iraq the way it is right now, the economy in the dumps. He only has the moral card to play, so he's playing it for all he's got.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Who do you think will get in?
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Reminds me of the joke about the "Holy Roman Empire": it was neither Holy, nor Roman, nor was it an Empire.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

So you feel that Bush's faith is insincere, Syl? You don't have to agree with his faith and the way it influences him...yet, I feel that it's really genuine.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Caer Sylvanus wrote:In my opinion, Bush has nothing else to bring to the table on this next election. No Osama, nobody seems to care about Hussein with Iraq the way it is right now, the economy in the dumps. He only has the moral card to play, so he's playing it for all he's got.
Please correct me if I'm wrong Syl, but in Nz it often appears that moral issues are almost always the most important in a presidential campaign. Is this true, or is it merely that our media focuses only on the moral issues and neglects everything else?

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I'm no expert. I've never even voted for a winning candidate. It's hard for me to say what an election's really about. Most of the time, for most of the people, it's the lesser of two evils, I think. People vote for whomever they think will "watch out for my interests." For some, it's as easy as picking which guy has the moral stance that's more fitting with theirs. For others, they want to vote by who will make the smallest dent in their paycheck.

I think the actual debate on issues are always left up to the people who don't plan on voting anyway. ;)
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I think that that is a problem in many places Syl. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

The only reason Bush got elected was Cheney's influence with the National Christian Coallition. As far as either being pious-that's a joke, as far as both-Cheney in particular-being "Crusaders" that's too obvious...
fall far and well Pilots!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Re: Bush, the "Holy Emperor"

Post by Revan »

Lord Mhoram wrote:How do you feel about the way Bush's faith has influenced his decision making and his presidency in general?
It hasn't, Bush doesn't really make decisions, he's nothing but a puppet.
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Re: Bush, the "Holy Emperor"

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

Lord Mhoram wrote:The influence of Bush's faith on his presidency becomes more and more evident as he claims that his chosen judge's shall follow the "Law of God." This borders on unconsitutional. 8O How do you feel about the way Bush's faith has influenced his decision making and his presidency in general?
Hmm, This is an interesting question. I think that his faith has very much to do with the way he runs his campaign and the country. He is one of the most outspoken president's about his faith in God and his beliefs. His faith influences everything from the way censhorship laws are made to his stance on Abortion.

I am not a fan of Bush, having been raised in Texas, and had him as my Governor, well let's say that I have seen first hand the results of his power in office and I was not pleased.

Bush feels that his faith is guiding him to do the right thing, and well I guess thats a personal decision that only he can make. What is considered right and moral and just in his eyes may not be the same in another. The next president may or may not have as much faith as our current president does, and the next president will make his own decisions based on his own personal faith.

Don't nkow if I made any outstanding remarks but thats how I feel. Cheers.
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

The seperation of Church and State is the keystone upon which western democracy rests. I don't begrudge Bush his personal faith but he shouldn't push policy based upon faith alone.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Is it really a surprise that Bush is like this? Look at what his daddy said in an interview some years ago:

"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God."
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I've heard there's been some difficulty proving the validity of that quote.
-George Steiner
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Ah. I got the quote from a site like this one: www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.htm
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Danlo your assumption that the piety of Bush is a joke is, IMO, absolutely false. I'm not saying I agree with Bush's near-crossing of the seperation of church and state, but I do believe that Bush's belief that he is in fact a crusader for God's Justice is genuine.

And as far as your comment goes Revan, I'm not gonna touch that because I have found it impossible to discuss American politics with you. :wink:
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Sorry Mhory-actually I could care less about his piety-let's just put it this way: me and G.W. are not really the best of friends. (violence is not God's justice, IMHO)
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I know you and I don't see eye-to-eye (ahh too many i's!!!) when it comes to Bush, Danlo, but I greatly respect you and your opinions so don't apologize for expressing them!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:D
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Lord Foul wrote:Ah. I got the quote from a site like this one: www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.htm
We all believe in some form of higher power (even the aethiests beleive in some form of higher thought). My problem with Bush is not the presence or power of his faith, but the unilateral means by which he uses it in promulgation of policies that have consequences that his fundamentalism doesn't anticipate.

I hate to stoop to cliche, but he is almost Raver-like in his single minded quest to proove he is God's annointed one (he is a documented fundamentalist Christian...a beleiver in the "end of days", my friends). He is leading the world into the mother of all caamora.

My quoate says it all...
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage

Return to “Coercri”