The Chronicles books on tape

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

nawyard
Servant of the Land

The Chronicles books on tape

Post by nawyard »

I would LOVE to see all six books put onto audiotape. Of course, I would love to see movies made of the series, and I have my ideas about the cast - Russell Crowe for Covenant (Harrison Ford used to be my pick, but he's getting a little long in the tooth), ....but getting back to an unabridged audiotape set, I'd like to submit the question: who would be the best voice to narrate the books??
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Sir Anthony Hopkins
fall far and well Pilots!
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Sean Connery.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It's gotta be read by the man himself. Sometimes authors don't make the best readers, but so much can be picked up from inflection, so much that only he would know.

As far as casting Covenant... Crowe would be good (a beautiful mind comes to... mind), but I'd like to see Edward Norton. I think he could really pull of the physical and emotional gauntness.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Well, Hopkins about 25-30 years ago or so was Donaldson's pick for who he wanted to play Covenant. But, I dunno, if I had to choose today I'd at least pick someone who's in his thirties. Oh! The audiotape...well, Donaldson, of course, because someone mentioned how he'd pick up stuffs others would never have dreamt of. Plus I'd just like to see him saying "Hellfire!"
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
nawyard
Servant of the Land

Post by nawyard »

.... and bloody damnation!
e-mail address: nawyard@yahoo.com
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

How about Chris Cooper, I mean, to play TC?

Post by Guest »

How 'bout Sean Connery to read the books:

"She came out of the shtore jusht in tshime to shee her youngh shon playing on the shidewalkh djhirecthly in the pasht of the gray, gaunt man who shtrode down the chenter of the walk like a mechanical derelicht."
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I think the novelty would have long worn off before Covenant got to Kevin's Watch. Kelsey Gramar (sp?), maybe would be cool, tho i think it'd take me a while to stop thinking Sideshow Bob was reading to me.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Kelsey Grammar or Patrick Stewart ... they both sound identical!

Post by Guest »

hmm... for me it would definitely be a video tape of Jim Carey, not only reading the books aloud, but adding his own touch to each of the characters...

wouldn't it be... well... i'll let you imagine... :twisted:
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Don't get me wrong, I like Jim Carey... but I think the odds of that project making me want to tear my hair out are about 65/35. 65 says it's like his performance as The Riddler. 35 says it's like Andy Kaufman.
-George Steiner

Post by Guest »

... hence my little devil smiley...
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I think TCTC would be ideal as a speaking book, although you'd need a lot of tape!

Definetely Ed Norton as Covenant. He's obviously a bit young, but as this is audio, that doesnt' matter one bit. I imagined Covenant's voice to have a fairly pronounced whiney quality, and I think Norton could capture this very well.

Babylon 5's Claudia Christian might make a good Linden. I thought that Linden's 'flat' tone would be not unlike Ivanova's when she was upset/angry.

John Hurt would be excellent as Bannor. It'd be a challenge to make the Haruchai sound different though. The giant's could be problematic, especially The First, as I can't think of any booming female actors off-hand. I know an economics lecturer who'd be ideal though. I can't imagine anyone but Brian Blessed voicing Foamfollower though. Also I think Paul Darrow's (Avon from Blake's 7 if any of you are old enough to remember) wispy voice would be ideal for Mhoram.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

:lol: @ the Sean Connery quote reading TCTC!! :lol: Id love to hear that!

Post by Guest »

Now, it could be Ozzy:

"'...they shouted Covenant's call in the roynish tongue of the Waynhim.' Huh? What the f*** does roynish mean... I mean, f***, can't this guy f***ing use words I can f***ing understand? F*** this roynish stuff, sh**! How much of this f***ing stuff I still have to f***ing read? Whot?! No f***ing way man! Can't you guys give me a f***ing Reading's Dijest f***ing version? D*** f*** sh***!"
Satansheart
Stonedownor

Radio play.

Post by Satansheart »

I have a cd with the whole of LOTR on in MP3 format, it was done by the BBC I believe like a radio play, it sounds pretty good considering. Now that's definately do-able for TCTC.
What?
Without warning, her words hit him in the face like ice water.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Man, I listened to that LOTR cd set on the way to Georgia last week. I thought it stunk. I don't want a radio play; I want a reading.

I believe there is a very good actuall reading out there, though.
-George Steiner
Satansheart
Stonedownor

Cd of LOTR

Post by Satansheart »

Well, if you listened to an american one then I'm not surprised it stank! I think the spoken word books are carp and you're better off reading it yourself!
What?
Without warning, her words hit him in the face like ice water.
Findail The Appointed
Servant of the Land

Post by Findail The Appointed »

I'd much rather have it as an e-book
that I can put on my laptop and my Palm...
How many people in this forum now?
If we each take a couple chapters.....
"Let those who sail the Sea bow down;
Let those who walk bow low:
For there is neither peace nor dream
Where the Appointed go.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”