For Those Who Have Read Song of Susannah . . .

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

For Those Who Have Read Song of Susannah . . .

Post by Roland of Gilead »

because it's going to be nothing but spoilers. So Beware and read no further if you haven't read the book!!!

I loved it. I loved the way Susannah-Mia's pregnancy was handled. It really cleverly tied together incidents from the other novels. I loved the multiple personalites in Susannah's mind - I don't think any other author has ever done such a superb job with such a difficult form of writing, and not kill the pace of his story.

I loved the ambush of Eddie and Roland. I'm an unapologetic bloodthirsty action fan, and I won't deny I was hoping for one last good gunfight before the dry twist ruins Roland's abilities forever. This scene delivered in spades.

I loved the many surprise revelations. Even something as little as Oy is staying, Oy is going, was suspense-laden. Time and again, it looked like a beloved character was going to bite the dust - it was edge-of-the-seat for sure.

My only big negative - I'm still on the fence regarding introducing King himself as a character. King did a find job portraying himself honestly and three-dimensional, but either it's like the movie version of the Wizard of Oz, and it's all a dream, which I absolutely loathe . . . or King experienced Roland and company in his mind and now sees them for real . . . and therefore, why do we even need King in the story in the first place? Except to satisfy the colossal hubris and ego of the author? So I find it confusing and probably just plain unnecessary. ane the low point of an otherwise brilliant tale.

Now a question - does anyone know if Co Op City is really in Brooklyn or the Bronx? Was King trying to come up with a cliver method of correcting a mistake in previously identifying Eddie's home or not? I'm not familiar enough with New York to know myself.

The writer's journal at the end was wild, wasn't it? I had never realized that King was run down on the nineteenth - no wonder he makes number 19 such a significant symbol in the novels. Do you it's mostly accurate? Did Tabitha repeatedly warn him not to walk on that road? And did so many of these entries really occur on the nineteenth of the various months?

One tactical blunder - I think King's death at the hands of the reckless driver would have been more shocking, had King not foreshadowed it during Susannah's dream sequence in the southern jail. I was therefore expecting it, and it was not the chilling revelation it could have been.

All in all, a wonderful book, the best I've read this year, beating out Perdido Street Station. But I'm still hoping Dark Tower VII is even better, and perhaps 800 pages long, to tie everything together and get in Jack, the kid from Insomnia and Ted Brautigan.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Song of Susannah

Post by A Gunslinger »

I loved it. I loved the way Susannah-Mia's pregnancy was handled. It really cleverly tied together incidents from the other novels. I loved the multiple personalites in Susannah's mind - I don't think any other author has ever done such a superb job with such a difficult form of writing, and not kill the pace of his story.

Me too! The control room was a great vehicle by which to manage MIA, but also the shared khef between Susie and Eddie. Also, I especially liked how Jake is shown to be more dangerous and more of a gunslinger than ever. I expect he will run into his Mother or Father before the end of book 7, perhaps may kill one of them (a la Roland in DT4). My favorite part of the book is where Eddie farces himself NOT to kill Tower.

I loved the ambush of Eddie and Roland. I'm an unapologetic bloodthirsty action fan, and I won't deny I was hoping for one last good gunfight before the dry twist ruins Roland's abilities forever. This scene delivered in spades.

Verrrry reminiscent of DT2. In fact, have you noticed that our ka-tet is isolated in the order by which they were pulled from Flagg's deck in DT1? Eddie is again with Roland as he was at the beginning of the series, and Jake and Susie are in situations very similar to THEIR first encounters with their fate. Susie has returned to a multiple personality type story, and Jake is back in NYC. Ka. Brilliantly applied, and not pointed out by the author who trusts us to notice!! Great fight!!

I loved the many surprise revelations. Even something as little as Oy is staying, Oy is going, was suspense-laden. Time and again, it looked like a beloved character was going to bite the dust - it was edge-of-the-seat for sure.

I was choking up when Oy was getting left behind. Whew! Suprises? How about :

a) the revelation of the connection between the kingdom of garaland (Eyes of the Dragon) and Mid-world? Loved it.

b) That Eddie is Cuthbert's ka-twin (twinner?). Something we have long suspected...this does not bode well for Eddie.

My only big negative - I'm still on the fence regarding introducing King himself as a character. King did a find job portraying himself honestly and three-dimensional, but either it's like the movie version of the Wizard of Oz, and it's all a dream, which I absolutely loathe . . . or King experienced Roland and company in his mind and now sees them for real . . . and therefore, why do we even need King in the story in the first place? Except to satisfy the colossal hubris and ego of the author? So I find it confusing and probably just plain unnecessary. ane the low point of an otherwise brilliant tale.

King is needed as a character to advance the story in a meaningful and contextually logical manner. Eddie saw that King was the KEY (recall that Eddie is ka's key-maker...his touch or gift , if you will). King gave them the answer they needed to move ahead much more quickly toward the Tower. Because of him, they moved ahead 3 spaces.

Now a question - does anyone know if Co Op City is really in Brooklyn or the Bronx? Was King trying to come up with a cliver method of correcting a mistake in previously identifying Eddie's home or not? I'm not familiar enough with New York to know myself.

Me neither. You might be right though!

The writer's journal at the end was wild, wasn't it? I had never realized that King was run down on the nineteenth - no wonder he makes number 19 such a significant symbol in the novels. Do you it's mostly accurate? Did Tabitha repeatedly warn him not to walk on that road? And did so many of these entries really occur on the nineteenth of the various months?

The journal was cool, and as close to an autobiography that we will likely see!

One tactical blunder - I think King's death at the hands of the reckless driver would have been more shocking, had King not foreshadowed it during Susannah's dream sequence in the southern jail. I was therefore expecting it, and it was not the chilling revelation it could have been.

All in all, a wonderful book, the best I've read this year, beating out Perdido Street Station. But I'm still hoping Dark Tower VII is even better, and perhaps 800 pages long, to tie everything together and get in Jack, the kid from Insomnia and Ted Brautigan.

Agreed. King has tons of loose ends to tie in. JACK is a character I care a lot for, and DEMAND he aid the ka-tet. He is truly a Gunslinger. The kid from insomnia is a definite need too, though Brautigan may not be needed, we KNOW his story. That he exists may be enough. There are loose ends in this book too!

Like, what was the deal with the old guy that helped them at the end? Eddie seemed to have a tickle of suspicion about him, then considered in no further. If he were Flagg, you'd think Roland or Eddie would have seen through it. I recall a passage where the old guy was going to look up a prison guard friend? Who the hell? Maybe he is the kid from Insomnia?

Also the lady in the beginning of the book. She may still have a role to play.

Don't be too wrried about page 149, where Eddie thinks to ask Roland something, but would "never get the chance for death would come between them" which implies one of them will soon die. My opinion (hope) is that this means Susannah will die in childbirth, or by the hand of Mordred (ulp!) and that Eddie will blame Roland or himself and never get around to asking the question. Thoughts?

I am loking very forward to the next book. Jake is going to kick the ass of everyone in the Dixie Pig... Callahan might die there, but I am positive (a la DT4) that even though he is just a kid, he will easily mop up the harriers and low men in the Pig. In all, my 3rd favorite DT book, just behind DT4, and DT2.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Gunslinger, thanks for the long reply. I didn't notice the connection to Eyes of the Dragon. Please enlighten me.

Also, I'm not sure who you meant with the old man helping Eddie and Roland. I remember an old street preacher helping Jake and Callahan. Do you mean John Cullum, the guy with the boathouse? I didn't consider him old.

As for the ominous "death coming between them" line, I'd like to think you're right, but I don't. I think it means either Eddie or Roland is toast. I just hope the death is significant and a heroic sacrifice.

Jake and Callahan should triumph in the Dixie Pig, but what this means for Susannah and Mia and Mr. Sayre and baby Mordred, I haven't a clue. I could see the ramifications of that going a hundred different ways.

As for bringing in characters from other novels, well, one could argue that Jack's story won't be told until the final volume of the collaborative novels with Straub . . . and you could be right about Brautigan's story already being told - he's a Breaker with a talent for escape, but he was caught yet again and forced to help in breaking the Beam that fell at the beginning of Song of Susannah.

But certainly we MUST have the kid from Insomnia. Otherwise, what was the point of Ralph and Cora saving him in the first place?

I see your point regarding King's inclusion of himself in the story - that was King's explanation within the tale, but to me, it smacks of a big-time ego and a lot of playing with the perceptions of his constant readers, because he knows at this point, he can pretty much get away with anything - we're hanging on his every word.

I'm not saying it was a total bummer. I'm just not sure I really liked it. It was the low point in a brilliant installment. When I get involved in a fantasy, I like to think that somehow, somewhere, this world I've become immersed in and grown to love actually exists. And when an author intrudes like this, my suspension of disbelief is given a real test.

For instance, what would the average Chronicles fan think if we learned within the story that Donaldson was some doctor that had treated Covenant for delusions in the past? Or that Donaldson himself was a mental patient babbling about a leper in a mythical land that he swore was real?

To me, what King has done is like gangster Balazar's house of cards. One wrong card, one miscue, and the whole shebang comes tumbling down. Sort of like how easy it is to screw up with time travel paradoxes.

So for me, as good as Song of Susannah it, it's suffers for this glitch. If I had to rate the series, and it's difficult - every volume is better than ninety percent of the rest of epic fantasy - I'd rank them as follows:

IV, III, V, II, VI and I.

The biggest question that I would still like to have answered in Dark Tower VII - WHAT HAPPENED TO ROLAND'S FATHER? I'd like a nice flashback tale regarding the details of this, but I don't know if that can be included in the final volume - there is just so much still left unresolved and probably the most we can hope for is 800 pages.

Oh, and what about the walking waters of Dorne story? I think that was the name, when Susannah is reflecting on how Roland had told the others a little of his past, like the Little Sisters of Eluria and the walking waters. Little Sisters I know about, but not the other one. Is that a tale we might see someday in another collection - or is King just messing with us again?

Is it September 21st yet? :wink:
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Gunslinger, thanks for the long reply. I didn't notice the connection to Eyes of the Dragon. Please enlighten me.

Page 197, Tower asks Roland about Alaric slaaying a dragon, to which Roland replies that the last dragon was killed by a king who was later murdered...a direct mention of Eyes of the dragon. Recall that the king there was killed, and ruled in a land where dragons lived still.

Also, I'm not sure who you meant with the old man helping Eddie and Roland. I remember an old street preacher helping Jake and Callahan. Do you mean John Cullum, the guy with the boathouse? I didn't consider him old.

Cullum, yes. For some reason i thought him older ...mid to late fifties...what do you make of him?

As for the ominous "death coming between them" line, I'd like to think you're right, but I don't. I think it means either Eddie or Roland is toast. I just hope the death is significant and a heroic sacrifice.

I think Eddie is us. I can't imagine he'd not live to see the Tower!

Jake and Callahan should triumph in the Dixie Pig, but what this means for Susannah and Mia and Mr. Sayre and baby Mordred, I haven't a clue. I could see the ramifications of that going a hundred different ways.

As for bringing in characters from other novels, well, one could argue that Jack's story won't be told until the final volume of the collaborative novels with Straub . . . and you could be right about Brautigan's story already being told - he's a Breaker with a talent for escape, but he was caught yet again and forced to help in breaking the Beam that fell at the beginning of Song of Susannah.

But certainly we MUST have the kid from Insomnia. Otherwise, what was the point of Ralph and Cora saving him in the first place?

VERRY True, Roland. Might he be the Prison guard that Cullum speaks of? Who the hell knows.

I see your point regarding King's inclusion of himself in the story - that was King's explanation within the tale, but to me, it smacks of a big-time ego and a lot of playing with the perceptions of his constant readers, because he knows at this point, he can pretty much get away with anything - we're hanging on his every word.

I think that King's presence also drives home the idea that the Tower goes through ALL worlds...even ours!! I applaud the guts it took to even attempt it!

I'm not saying it was a total bummer. I'm just not sure I really liked it. It was the low point in a brilliant installment. When I get involved in a fantasy, I like to think that somehow, somewhere, this world I've become immersed in and grown to love actually exists. And when an author intrudes like this, my suspension of disbelief is given a real test.

See my above statement Roland...this only ENFORCES the belief, not a proof against! I feel it brings us all closer to the Tower. I'll admit it.... I look occasionally at the clouds above for the presence of the beams...do you?

For instance, what would the average Chronicles fan think if we learned within the story that Donaldson was some doctor that had treated Covenant for delusions in the past? Or that Donaldson himself was a mental patient babbling about a leper in a mythical land that he swore was real?

Donaldson is an author, not a doctor, nor does TC's story involve the layering of multiple universes in the same way the tower books do. I do see your point, but in this case, I reject it (respectfully, if it please ya)

The biggest question that I would still like to have answered in Dark Tower VII - WHAT HAPPENED TO ROLAND'S FATHER? I'd like a nice flashback tale regarding the details of this, but I don't know if that can be included in the final volume - there is just so much still left unresolved and probably the most we can hope for is 800 pages.

I agree...also what the final details are about the horn of Gilead and how Cuthbert and Roland gunned down Alain.

Is it September 21st yet?

NO!!! DAMMIT! :x :x :x

ImageImage

Post by Guest »

Gunslinger, I'm fifty myself . . . which is no doubt why I don't consider John Cullum old. :P

Thanks for the reference to Eyes of the Dragon. I haven't read that one since 1987 - most of the details have faded away.

I see your point regarding King writing himself into the story. I'm trying to accept it myself. I may yet come around to your viewpoint. 8) I'll admit King does an excellent job of attempting it, anyway. He doesn't make himself out to be a paragon of virtue, that's for sure. :lol:
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

The guest was me, Roland of Gilead. My computer at work got updated overnight, and screwed up a lot of my on-line forums. I think I'm back under my username now.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Long days and pleasant nights Roland!

ImageImage
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Hile folken!! Wow! this was completely different than I thought it would be. I just finished it last night, and have to say I have mixed emotions about it. My biggest...ummm...how do I say it...problem (tho that isn't quite the word I want) with it was King in the story. Yet, now that I think about it, and after re-reading the journal part of the book, I've come to the conclusion that maybe King is just a "conduit" (as he put it) for Roland. Roland wants his tale told, so he is channeling it to King. King being the twin of the rose and all. Somehow making him Gan??? Such confusion :?

Another gripe I have is that it was just too short... Susannah and Mia's story was played out very well, but I felt as though there wasn't enough of Roland, Eddie, Jake and Callahan. I'm sure they will all come together in book 7 at Fedic. But, it seemed like King was just pushing his way thru this part of the story, then got tired of it and wanted to end it. This seemed more like one of those "filler chapters" that get you from one event to another...instead of a whole volume in what I consider one of the greatest fantasy sagas I've ever read. Each book, so far, was an epic in itself...this one seemed to fall short of that for me... am I being too picky???

btw...if King kills himself off in 1999, how did he write books 5, 6 and 7??? hmmmmmmmm :P
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Furls Fire wrote:Hile folken!! Wow! this was completely different than I thought it would be. I just finished it last night, and have to say I have mixed emotions about it. My biggest...ummm...how do I say it...problem (tho that isn't quite the word I want) with it was King in the story. Yet, now that I think about it, and after re-reading the journal part of the book, I've come to the conclusion that maybe King is just a "conduit" (as he put it) for Roland. Roland wants his tale told, so he is channeling it to King. King being the twin of the rose and all. Somehow making him Gan??? Such confusion :?
Ithought this was a good, unique device, Furls...making it all too clear that the Tower is part of our world too...!

Another gripe I have is that it was just too short... Susannah and Mia's story was played out very well, but I felt as though there wasn't enough of Roland, Eddie, Jake and Callahan. I'm sure they will all come together in book 7 at Fedic. But, it seemed like King was just pushing his way thru this part of the story, then got tired of it and wanted to end it. This seemed more like one of those "filler chapters" that get you from one event to another...instead of a whole volume in what I consider one of the greatest fantasy sagas I've ever read. Each book, so far, was an epic in itself...this one seemed to fall short of that for me... am I being too picky???[/quote]

This book gave us some compelling linkages and answers, but is mostly a setup for the final...this book is a rising cresendo. I think that John Cullum is going to Bring Ted Brautigan or some other character that we are familiar with (the kid from Insomnia?) to aid Eddie and Roland. Wait!!! I just thought of something.... Mordred will be a player here? If Jake is sucessful (as I am sure he will be), Mordred will be remove from the the power of the Low Men. Maybe somehow HE is the man Collum brings ot the aid of Roland and Eddie. Anyway, this was all rising action.

Other Q's: where is Flagg? Where is the kid from insomnia? Where is Jack Sawyer? WHose death is foreshadowed on page 149 (I think Susannah)?

btw...if King kills himself off in 1999, how did he write books 5, 6 and 7??? hmmmmmmmm :P
we must live on a lower level of the tower?...a different King is writing them still...the non-Gan. Is Gan God?

ImageImage
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Furls Fire wrote:Hile folken!! Wow! this was completely different than I thought it would be. I just finished it last night, and have to say I have mixed emotions about it. My biggest...ummm...how do I say it...problem (tho that isn't quite the word I want) with it was King in the story. Yet, now that I think about it, and after re-reading the journal part of the book, I've come to the conclusion that maybe King is just a "conduit" (as he put it) for Roland. Roland wants his tale told, so he is channeling it to King. King being the twin of the rose and all. Somehow making him Gan??? Such confusion :?
Ithought this was a good, unique device, Furls...making it all too clear that the Tower is part of our world too...!

Another gripe I have is that it was just too short... Susannah and Mia's story was played out very well, but I felt as though there wasn't enough of Roland, Eddie, Jake and Callahan. I'm sure they will all come together in book 7 at Fedic. But, it seemed like King was just pushing his way thru this part of the story, then got tired of it and wanted to end it. This seemed more like one of those "filler chapters" that get you from one event to another...instead of a whole volume in what I consider one of the greatest fantasy sagas I've ever read. Each book, so far, was an epic in itself...this one seemed to fall short of that for me... am I being too picky???[/quote]

This book gave us some compelling linkages and answers, but is mostly a setup for the final...this book is a rising cresendo. I think that John Cullum is going to Bring Ted Brautigan or some other character that we are familiar with (the kid from Insomnia?) to aid Eddie and Roland. Wait!!! I just thought of something.... Mordred will be a player here? If Jake is sucessful (as I am sure he will be), Mordred will be remove from the the power of the Low Men. Maybe somehow HE is the man Collum brings ot the aid of Roland and Eddie. Anyway, this was all rising action.

Other Q's: where is Flagg? Where is the kid from insomnia? Where is Jack Sawyer? WHose death is foreshadowed on page 149 (I think Susannah)?

we must live on a lower level of the tower?...a different King is writing them still...the non-Gan. Is Gan God?

ImageImage
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Gunslinger, I just completed my Dark Tower display.

I picked a shelf from one of my bookcases in my bookroom, and "artfully" arranged the books on it, including the Concordance. Then I went to one of these dollar shops and picked up a plastic rose, a glass ball and a turtle and put them in front of the books. My piece de resistance is a framed illustration of Roland, which I printed off Michael Whelan's website a couple of years ago. It isn't from Volume 1; don't know if it will be in Volume VII.

Anyway, the whole thing looks quite nice, may it do ya fine.

And my incredible streak as Geek of the Week remains unbroken. :wink:
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Roland of Gilead wrote:Gunslinger, I just completed my Dark Tower display.

I picked a shelf from one of my bookcases in my bookroom, and "artfully" arranged the books on it, including the Concordance. Then I went to one of these dollar shops and picked up a plastic rose, a glass ball and a turtle and put them in front of the books. My piece de resistance is a framed illustration of Roland, which I printed off Michael Whelan's website a couple of years ago. It isn't from Volume 1; don't know if it will be in Volume VII.

Anyway, the whole thing looks quite nice, may it do ya fine.

And my incredible streak as Geek of the Week remains unbroken. :wink:
I may one-up you in the geek department when I ask you..."Please send a picture of your artsy display!"? Please do, and it will.

ImageImage
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Gunslinger, I'm a book and movie geek, but not a computer geek. I don't know how to do photos on-line. :oops:

You'll have to let your imagination envision it for you.
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

I think the difference between SRD putting himself into the chronicles and SK putting himself into the DT is that the entire DT series has been about stories (and thus their writers). I didnt like King's presence either, but it makes sense because we hear all about Charile and his author, The Wiz of Oz, and even The Stand and Salem's Lot.

He spends lots of time incorporating outside stories because he's trying to make a point about magic and imagination- that writing is a kind of magic, and thats why different stories that normally appear on "different levels" of the tower are all running together as their individual magicks are disappearing. If these stories can directly influence the fate of the tower (via Roland et al) then their author is critical to the story.
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
Usagi
Stonedownor

Post by Usagi »

Am I the only person who just knew he would write himself in since the Wastelands?
It didn't bother me at all and I didn't even take note that it was him.
Old Darth
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Old Darth »

Don't be too wrried about page 149, where Eddie thinks to ask Roland something, but would "never get the chance for death would come between them" which implies one of them will soon die.
That line really popped out at me too. King loves to foreshadow. This time he was deliciously vague. Who will die - Eddie, Roland, Susannah etc? One can interpret it many ways.

I had no problem with King in the story. His self description was honest and humorous. Eddie's beliefs about that Reality being the True One, at least in regards to King, must be incorrect. Without King to be the conduit in that Reality - the story should stop. One must assume that another King has been able to pick up the story or that the Quest is of a greater reality or many other possibilities.

In any event, the setup for DT7 has been expertly handled.
Every man is my superior, in that, I may learn from him.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Usagi wrote:Am I the only person who just knew he would write himself in since the Wastelands?
It didn't bother me at all and I didn't even take note that it was him.
Nope. It did not occur to me at all!

ImageImage
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Usaqi, what happened in the Waste Lands that led you to believe King would write himself into the series?

Are you clairvoyant? :P
Usagi
Stonedownor

Post by Usagi »

Roland of Gilead wrote:Usaqi, what happened in the Waste Lands that led you to believe King would write himself into the series?

Are you clairvoyant? :P
The fact that all his stories were starting to show up in the Dark Tower series. Though I thought he would be the guy at the top of the tower just typing on a typerwriter til the end of time, creating the universe or some such.

I did win the bet with my friend that he'd be in the books, even if I thought the wrong place ^_^
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Usaqi wrote:

"Though I thought he would be the guy at the top of the tower just typing on a typewriter till the end of time, creating the universe or some such."

If King had written it that way, I hope he would have had the decency to have Roland draw his revolver and riddle the damned writer full of holes. :x

Return to “Stephen King Forum”