2nd Chron. Loose Ends>Last Chron? (RUNES SPOILER WARNING)

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

2nd Chron. Loose Ends>Last Chron? (RUNES SPOILER WARNING)

Post by Krilly »

Alright, so Mr. D mentioned that he had the 3rd and final Chronicles in mind as he was writing the 2nd. Because of this, he consciously created loose ends and foreshadowing for his next 4 books just as he had for the first two Chronicles.

As you know, the destruction of the Staff among other more subtle things forshadowed the events that would start the 2nd three books. This topic is intended to delve into the 2nd Chronicle and see what could possibly hint at how the final story could come about.

Some ideas to break the ice...

How will Foul manipulate Time? Did something happen prior that would cause this to happen? (think breaking the Staff and the Law of Death)

Did half-awakening the Worm create a chain reaction of severe consequence?

How will the Elohim react to their prophecy of the Sun-Sage being fullfilled? Does the great "Fire" mentioned far in the north play a part in this?

Remember that Joan also has a white gold ring and since it seems Roger, working under Foul, has kidnapped her... there are probably now TWO triggers of wild magic thrown into the mix here.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

How will Foul manipulate Time? Did something happen prior that would cause this to happen? (think breaking the Staff and the Law of Death)
I'm not sure how the breaking of the Law of Death would allow LF to manipulate Time. However, with the new Staff of Law in place, LF will be unable to use the Earthpower to revive himself, as he did between the 1st and 2nd Chronicles. So what source of power might be available to him this time? Perhaps time itself?
Did half-awakening the Worm create a chain reaction of severe consequence?
This is an interesting thought - will have to ponder for a while.
Does the great "Fire" mentioned far in the north play a part in this?
I think that this story will have some part in the Last Chronicles - why else would it be so briefly mentioned by Findail?
...there are probably now TWO triggers of wild magic thrown into the mix here.
Exactly - and won't that be interesting to see?
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

From what Donaldson was saying at dinner, if I am remembering correctly, LF is more of a behind the scenes manipulator rather than an actor in Runes. Sounds like some of the trouble is being caused by other powers of the Land's earth...we will have to wait and see...
Love as thou wilt.

Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

I'm not sure how the breaking of the Law of Death would allow LF to manipulate Time. However, with the new Staff of Law in place, LF will be unable to use the Earthpower to revive himself, as he did between the 1st and 2nd Chronicles. So what source of power might be available to him this time? Perhaps time itself?
Actually when I mentioned the Staff and the Law of Death, I meant think about what things (such os those, which were forshadowers of the 2nd Chron) might eventually lead to the final threat to the Land. They were just a similar example, not neccesarily the actual cause as they were before.
Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

From what Donaldson was saying at dinner, if I am remembering correctly, LF is more of a behind the scenes manipulator rather than an actor in Runes. Sounds like some of the trouble is being caused by other powers of the Land's earth...we will have to wait and see...
Ya we will have to wait of coure... :cry: :cry:

Because who would ever have guessed or forsaw the whole Na-Mhoram thing? I can't wait to see what new threat plagues the Land this time around.
Gart
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Gart »

I wonder if Foul's assault on time is a hold-over of his brief use of Covenant's ring? The Sunbane was a corruption of Earthpower and Law caused by Foul's proximity; maybe Foul's use of the wild magic has similarly affected the Arch of Time (so Many Capital Letters! :D ).

Alternatively, maybe the use of envenomed wild magic is at the bottom of it? You have to give LF credit, that'd be one hell of a "plan B"!

Other powers...hmm, could they be pre-Foul Ravers? Or the Croyel? Or maybe brand new troublemakers?

As for Joan and her ring...if ever someone had been made a tool of Despite, it's her. So how effective can she be, without the necesssary freedom?
...but in the morning, I will be sober
mhorgel
Servant of the Land

Post by mhorgel »

MAJOR SPOILER WARNING!

I have read Runes, and I believe that he did leave loose ends and do some foreshadowing in the first 2 Chronicles.
Spoiler
Here's a hint...Only wild magic can manipulate time.
Mark
Last edited by mhorgel on Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

The last post needs a spoiler warning!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Yes, it does! :x Several people will be quite angry, and I myself am not too pleased :-x
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

*sigh* had to happen eventually.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I just scrolled to the bottom of this thread with my eyes closed, heeding Syl's warning. Whoever posts spoilers about Runes before it’s even out needs their . . . family board, heh. ;)
mhorgel
Servant of the Land

Post by mhorgel »

Sorry;

The thread title had "spoilers" in it...What is the protocol re potential spoilers? I thought if the header had "spoilers" in it, I would be safe.

Mark
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Mark - apology accepted. Thank you.

To me this thread was speculation about what was in the 2nd Chronicles that might have been a loose end that could have lead to the Final Chronicles. For instance Krilly speculated that the partial awakening of the Worm may have something to do with the Final Chronicles. Speculation, indeed, and fun to do - but may not have anything to do with the Last Chronicles.

The comment you made was definitely spoiler material. Thank you for covering it up.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

mhorgel wrote:Sorry;

The thread title had "spoilers" in it...What is the protocol re potential spoilers? I thought if the header had "spoilers" in it, I would be safe.

Mark
If the topic says "spoilers" it basically means it contains details of the existing Chronicles that some way not wish to read, bearing in mind I know of at least two members who haven't finished the Chronicles yet. Some joined us through the Gap series, or the Man Who books, and have never read Covenant. So if you are posting spoilers for the Last Chronicles, I would recommend making that specifically clear.

No hard feelings, Mhorgel, you weren't to know. I may have overreacted slightly :roll:
Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

Oh dear, I feel somewhat responsible for what happened.

Was it a really nasty spoiler? I'm so tempted to look... can't... resist... !

But I apologize, I forgot that some people (lucky devils :x ) have already gotten the Runes and have read it. To those people, keep that info to yourselves unless requested through a private message.
Last edited by Krilly on Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

This is precisely why started "The ARC" thread. Pleaaaaaaaase keep these things off the Watch!!
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Krilly wrote:Oh dear, I feel somewhat responsible for what happened.

Was it a really nasty spoiler? I'm so tempted to look... can't... resist... !

But I apologize, I forgot that some people (lucky devils :x ) have already gotten the Runes and have read it. To those people, keep that info to yourselves unless requested through a private message.

In fairness the "spoiler" isn't much of one at all. Who here hasn't thought that it was so?

Insofar as speculation of the LAnd's Ill...

I think Roger is a Raver. Joan has always been a symbol for the health of the Land and the Raver (I think Mhoram's Old Rival) is attempting to gain control of the WG for to free LF or perhaps TC from the Arch? Could TC be the (reluctant?)villian this time? I'd hate that...but I think I might love it too!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I disagree, Gunslinger. I've not read anything so far to convince me that Roger is possessed. So far as I can see, he has simply become the way he has because of his past, what happened to his family. I think he's simply lost his mind. His mother's condition has driven him to despair, until Foul was able to manipulate him, to convince him that what he then does is what is best for himself and Joan.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Murrin wrote:I disagree, Gunslinger. I've not read anything so far to convince me that Roger is possessed. So far as I can see, he has simply become the way he has because of his past, what happened to his family. I think he's simply lost his mind. His mother's condition has driven him to despair, until Foul was able to manipulate him, to convince him that what he then does is what is best for himself and Joan.
The reason I think that he is a Raver is that the na-Mhoram Gibbon from the second chronicles acted in much the same way that Roger is acting NOW...a sort of measured chaos and disdain. It would not be shocking that through his mother's white gold, his despair attracted a raver... and allowed the breach between worlds to be bridged.

ImageImage
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Of course I amonly guesing...which is what this thread is all about, right?

ImageImage

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”