Ravers

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Ravers

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Ok. I assume the Ravers are men. If what I assume is correct, then why are there no female Ravers?

Your opinions?
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

because SRD didn't bother to write any?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

I don't think its safe to say the Ravers were born as men. They are described as "brothers" and "of one birth" but that doesn't really eliminate much. Methinks SRD left it deliberately mysterious, partially in an effort to make (and keep) them more frightening.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Take a look at this older thread about Ravers for some insight....

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=166
fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

re

Post by fightingmyinstincts »

They didn't have bodies of their own, so they prob don't have a sex of their own either...
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
Gilden
Servant of the Land

Ravers

Post by Gilden »

The Ravers are indeed men, and I think that there are no female ravers because SRD felt that men would be more frightening and better suit his needs. As a compliment to all females, I think that females would not fit such a menacing role, one that required bloodthirstiness and hatred.
"Joy is in the ears that hear, not in the mouth that speaks."
-Saltheart Foamfollower
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Good point Gilden. Yes, I guess females might not be able to be as bloodthirsty and life-hating. :?

(I think I'll make some female ravers in the story I'm writing. :wink: )
Sevothtarte
Giantfriend
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Post by Sevothtarte »

Well ... aren't all the villains in TCTC male? True, in general the female characteres are just as messed up as the males, but all the really evil roles are played by men. Foul, the Ravers, Kasreyn, Vain (in a way) ...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Hey, I've had some ex's that could give the Ravers a run for their money. i think cruelty comes easily to some women, it just has a different way of expressing itself than with men.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

I think the books make it pretty clear the Ravers are not men, that they were born before humans came to the Land. The Colossus was created specifically to protect against them. (I think it was in The Illearth War)
Gilden
Servant of the Land

Too Far??

Post by Gilden »

Don't read too far into the book's description. Just their pure mannerisms tell us that the Ravers are indeed male. The way they talk and act just cannot be female. It's too...can't think of a word right now, but they sure as hell did not act in the least bit feminine. Their pure rage and hatred is not something you see in any female, even ex-girlfriends, lol. :D
"Joy is in the ears that hear, not in the mouth that speaks."
-Saltheart Foamfollower
Sevothtarte
Giantfriend
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Post by Sevothtarte »

Well, there's always the fact that they aren't just called the "three brothers" by others, but also refer to each other as "brother(s)".
Sylvanus wrote:Hey, I've had some ex's that could give the Ravers a run for their money. i think cruelty comes easily to some women, it just has a different way of expressing itself than with men.
switches into sexist-pseudo-philosophical mode

Women normally only get cruel to men when given reason, but don't need a reason to be cruel to other women.

Men don't make a difference, but don't get as cruel as women.

switches back and starts searching for the emergency exit before the women catch up with him
pitchwife
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by pitchwife »

Speaking of cruelty, I've heard an interesting presentation about bullying at my kids school. Bullying is kind of a cruelty isn't it? Anyway, it was thought that bullying is mainly a problem with boys, but it turns out that it is also a problem among girls. With boys it usually manifests as physical harassment, whereas with girls it's emotional abuse.

-pitch
We are who we are - and what we are not, we will never become
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

There are a lot of parents in our area who send their boys to private boys schools because of the problems (I wouldn't say "abuse", but I'm sure the kids would describe it that way) from the girls in their grade. They're so much more mature, and physically larger at this stage (around 7th grade). And they can be pretty mean when given the chance (and let's face it - we guys never really grow up. it's in our nature to go in search of confrontation. heh heh)
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I saw this poem a while back and felt it's a good example of female cruelty.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

For the record, I do think the Ravers are quite obvioiusly male. Apart from the fact they are referred to as "brothers" there is something masculine about them. Females (human ones, anyway) have the potential for actually growing life within them. Totally awesome cruelty in women requires some stiffling of that potential, while in men methinks its a corruption of the effort to "do" something.

JMHO
MokshaTuriyaSamadhi Raver

Post by MokshaTuriyaSamadhi Raver »

Wow, welcome to the land of reverse misogyny. I think anyway you look at it the gender of the Ravers is irrelevant and immaterial. As far as I can recall there are no direct indicators either way as to their gender. The statement that they are brothers means little to me because it is commonly used for people of similiar perspecitves (brothers-in-arms) and various religious movements. What they are now goes beyond mere gender. For all intents and purposes they are what they are whenever they are in possession of a vehicle. And I struggle in priniciple applying human concepts to non-human objects (Anthromorphism).

As for females not being capable of 'true' evil, that sentiment makes me cry. :lol:

If they weren't so then why don't we just eliminate all women from serial killer lists, exempt them from all crimes and just lift their dainty little feet onto a shining pedestal above unworthy, infidel men. :twisted:

*MTSR who likes to overreact to anything and everything*
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Yes MTSR, you do seem to overreact a rather lot.
Sevothtarte
Giantfriend

Post by Sevothtarte »

MokshaTuriyaSamadhi Raver wrote:The statement that they are brothers means little to me because it is commonly used for people of similiar perspecitves (brothers-in-arms) and various religious movements.
True - but the same is true for sister, but still they use brother.
As for females not being capable of 'true' evil, that sentiment makes me cry. :lol:
They are of course able to be just as truly evil as men, but ...
If they weren't so then why don't we just eliminate all women from serial killer lists, exempt them from all crimes
... take a look at how many serial killers are male, or which gender commits most crimes.
robo
Ramen

Post by robo »

... take a look at how many serial killers are male, or which gender commits most crimes

nah, women commit 10 times the number of crimes. Thing is that no one expects them so they get away with it ALL the time.:)

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”