Buffy Vs Angel

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Which Show Do You Like More

Buffy
27%
Angel
36%
Like Them Both The Same
36%

Total votes: 11

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Buffy Vs Angel

Post by Revan »

Which show do you like better? They are very different in many ways... me, personally, cannot decide... I think I like them the same... but for different reasons. Because they are both different, they give you different things which you can respond to... So I like them both, but for different reasons.

Which do you like more? And why?
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

It's hard to say....I went with "like them both the same," but as you said, there are different qualities about each show.....

Buffy is, in general, a more upbeat show, (with a few notable exceptions) it's usually more fun to watch for me. The wit, the humor, and the chemistry of the original cast has always been a real pleasure to watch.....love those Scoobies!! And Buffy saves the world a lot, which is always fun. ;)

Angel on the other hand, is better equipped to deal with some larger issues that I always find fascinating.....things like the nature of Evil (and Good), the nature of heroism, the road to redemption....and what exactly constitutes "humanity." Of course, Buffy touches on several of these issues as well, but I think Angel is able to deal with them more fully, because of it's darker aspect.

And Angel has a couple of my favorite quotes:

Night. Kate and Angel are sitting side by side outside in the garden court of the Hyperion.
Kate: "I feel like such an idiot."
Angel: "A lot of that going around."
Kate: "I just couldn't... - My whole life has been about being a cop. If I'm not part of the force it's like nothing I do means anything."
Angel, still looking pretty beat up: "It doesn't."
Kate: "Doesn't what?"
Angel: "Mean anything. In the greater scheme or the big picture, nothing we do matters. There's no grand plan, no big win."
Kate: "You seem kind of chipper about that."
Angel: "Well, I guess I kinda - worked it out. If there is no great glorious end to all this, if - nothing we do matters, - then all that matters is what we do. 'cause that's all there is. What we do, now, today. - I fought for so long. For redemption, for a reward - finally just to beat the other guy, but... I never got it."
Kate: "And now you do?"
Angel: "Not all of it. All I wanna do is help. I wanna help because - I don't think people should suffer, as they do. Because, if there is no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness - is the greatest thing in the world."
Kate: "Yikes. It sounds like you had an epiphany."
Angel: "I keep saying that. But nobody's listening."

*italics mine*

And: It doesn’t matter where we come from, what we’ve done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be. - Angel

Hmmm.....guess it sounds like I'm coming out in favor of Angel after all.....but I'm really not. In terms of pure affection, it really is a coin toss. :D ;)
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

bird!!!!!! That's my favorite moment from Angel!!!!! After he was taken in the elevator to Hell by that dead guy, and the doors opened up right where they started!!! NICE JOB, BABE!!!!! :D :D :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

LOL! It gets me every time....I was watching that episode with Colin the other day, and upon seeing it again......he just NAILS it, so much better than I ever could. There is no Home Office......it's all right here. All the potential for evil, and good, and everything in between is present in every one of us......and the only things that could ever make a difference are the choices we make every day, not just the big ones, (or maybe what I mean is not so much the big ones) but all the minutiae......the detritus of everyday living......it's not the huge lifechanging choices that matter so much, but the tiny lifeshaping ones......we're all human, and we're all going to make mistakes....thousands of them, no doubt....but every time we do what's right, no matter how small it may seem, the light gets a little brighter....and every time we let it slide (just this time) the darkness gets a little deeper.

I have (even still, when I've missed so many chances with him) hanging on my wall a note I wrote to myself when my son was smaller:

For every thing we do in this life, there is a certain number of times we will do that particular thing.
A certain number of blinks, sneezes, songs, smiles.
Only that number, and no more.
So think about this:
How many more times in his life will he ask
Will you play with me?

if - nothing we do matters, - then all that matters is what we do. 'cause that's all there is. What we do, now, today.

EVERYTHING matters.

I had a little epiphany of my own several months back, and woke up and wrote several pages in a notebook at four in the morning trying to capture it before it went away......it dealt with pretty much this same idea, as well as some others....maybe I'll post it in the HoG if I can find it....

Oh crud! :oops: Sorry, kind of got off an a tangent there..... :highjacked: :shifty: :mrgreen:
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

birdandbear wrote:It's hard to say....I went with "like them both the same," but as you said, there are different qualities about each show.....

Buffy is, in general, a more upbeat show, (with a few notable exceptions) it's usually more fun to watch for me. The wit, the humor, and the chemistry of the original cast has always been a real pleasure to watch.....love those Scoobies!! And Buffy saves the world a lot, which is always fun. ;)

Angel on the other hand, is better equipped to deal with some larger issues that I always find fascinating.....things like the nature of Evil (and Good), the nature of heroism, the road to redemption....and what exactly constitutes "humanity." Of course, Buffy touches on several of these issues as well, but I think Angel is able to deal with them more fully, because of it's darker aspect.

And Angel has a couple of my favorite quotes:

Night. Kate and Angel are sitting side by side outside in the garden court of the Hyperion.
Kate: "I feel like such an idiot."
Angel: "A lot of that going around."
Kate: "I just couldn't... - My whole life has been about being a cop. If I'm not part of the force it's like nothing I do means anything."
Angel, still looking pretty beat up: "It doesn't."
Kate: "Doesn't what?"
Angel: "Mean anything. In the greater scheme or the big picture, nothing we do matters. There's no grand plan, no big win."
Kate: "You seem kind of chipper about that."
Angel: "Well, I guess I kinda - worked it out. If there is no great glorious end to all this, if - nothing we do matters, - then all that matters is what we do. 'cause that's all there is. What we do, now, today. - I fought for so long. For redemption, for a reward - finally just to beat the other guy, but... I never got it."
Kate: "And now you do?"
Angel: "Not all of it. All I wanna do is help. I wanna help because - I don't think people should suffer, as they do. Because, if there is no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness - is the greatest thing in the world."
Kate: "Yikes. It sounds like you had an epiphany."
Angel: "I keep saying that. But nobody's listening."

*italics mine*

And: It doesn’t matter where we come from, what we’ve done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be. - Angel

Hmmm.....guess it sounds like I'm coming out in favor of Angel after all.....but I'm really not. In terms of pure affection, it really is a coin toss. :D ;)
Great post Bird 8)

I agree, that moment was excellent on Angel. :D
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Buffy and Angel

Post by taraswizard »

OK, well I voted for both as equal. Cause me being all wishy-washy guy like, hard to make up mind. But as some already know, I was an Angel watcher and fan before I was a Buffy watcher and fan. Ever since Not fade away was shown in May 2004, I can hardly even think about it with out tearing up a little. (And yes when Chosen was shown I was like sad because Buffy was over, but... So not only am I wishy-washy guy but I'm stupid sappy guy, too.)
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

birdandbear wrote:I had a little epiphany of my own several months back, and woke up and wrote several pages in a notebook at four in the morning trying to capture it before it went away......it dealt with pretty much this same idea, as well as some others....maybe I'll post it in the HoG if I can find it....
I hope so!!!!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I preferred the darker content of Angel (even if C4 did insist on cutting it to ribbons. They actually managed to fit one episode into a half hour slot!), but it went kind of sucky after season 3. I think the boy who plays Conor is a complete miscast. We're supposed to believe that this floppy haired, wet-behind-the-ears-looking nancy boy is Angels superhuman son who was raised in hell?
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I voted for Angel. Like nav, I prefer the darkness of Angel, but at times it can be hit and miss. I haven't seen beyond Angel's epiphany, midway through season 2.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Do you want me to lend you the dvds?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Thanks, but it'd probably take me about a year to watch them.
ENDLESS SUMMER
Servant of the Land

BUFFY???

Post by ENDLESS SUMMER »

I don't care for either, I've tried. :oops:
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

Thats nuthin to be embarrassed about, I cant stand them either. 8)
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

I went with Angel...for Doyle, Wesley, and because I like Cordelia a lot better when she's in Angel. If Xander were in it, I would consider it perfect *grin* It would be nice if Spike were in it more often in the first couple seasons, but I love it anyway...the "wee little puppet man" Angel is amazing ;)
"A choice made freely is stronger than one compelled"
- Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa

Return to “TV Shows”