A fellow reader again....

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Serpreme

A fellow reader again....

Post by Serpreme »

I'm about on page 75 on the second book of the second chronicles and i'm starting to dislike this .... Is all lost? Has he lost his power? Is he now impotent? These rollercoasters of characters are really starting to become annoying....i mean i can think of atleast 4 or so times in the 2nd chronciles where they are good as dead and they come back...is it just me or is that kind repeative?
Serpreme

Post by Serpreme »

Having read the What do you want in the third series i dont think i'm going to finnish the books....i like what i have. Thomas had power..control...he was healed for the most part. Now he is "Dead". His the reason i read the books. Knowng he dies make this pointless for me...or does it?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

In the foreword to Gilden-Fire, Donaldson says, "I have little sympathy for anyone who considers the fate of the Unhomed, the fidelity of the Bloodguard, and the valor of the Lords to be of secondary importance." I have to agree. I can't imagine not being interested in the books only because Covenant's personal fate is not to my liking.

But hey, we all march to a different drum, and all that. You feel how you feel, and you act on those feelings. If you can bear to stop reading at this point, you may as well. If the glories of the 1st Chronicles and The Wounded Land weren't so awesome for you that you can't bear the thought of not knowing the glories that are sure to follow, then you have your answer. But I am numb at the thought. :(
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Nonononononono. It's hard, but keep reading. It's worth it. To be completely honest, I'm a bigger fan of the 1st chrons than I am the second, but I'd still take the second chrons over just about any other series out there.

Trust me, once you get halfway through The One Tree (or perhaps even by the end of Wounded Land) you won't want to stop.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Gilden
Servant of the Land

Keep Truckin'

Post by Gilden »

I didn't like the idea either. At first. All SRD is doing is building up. ALL good authors do. It seems hopeless for our heroes, and then...

Just keep reading. I'm sure you'll like the ending as much as I did. You can't stop just because Covenant seems powerless. That's just lame. It's like reading the first chronicles, and stopping because Foamfollower's gone.
"Joy is in the ears that hear, not in the mouth that speaks."
-Saltheart Foamfollower
Serpreme

Post by Serpreme »

I dont think anyone would have made it to the second chronicles if we care much about his health. But it comes to a point when you've read what,5 books about him. Struggleing...then just to have him DIE. He deserves to atleast rest in the real world....
How can you even suggest that i care about his health so much to ditch the book?
His health is of little importance....its how the ideas keep getting rehashed.
Also All good authors do it..but after awhile the author is neither good nor is the story intresting becouse you know its coming.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Struggleing...then just to have him DIE. He deserves to atleast rest in the real world....
Like Clint Eastwood said in Unforgiven, "It's not about ‘deserves’." :roll: Oh--anyway, it's your choice to dump Covenant and Co., and I can understand that. But...the books, like all good books, take you on a sort of journey--give you some kind of an experience. Why make mistakes using trial and error when we can read books and learn about the mistakes of the past? *Jumps off his pulpit* Anyway, um, where was I? Oh yeah...

Look, Covenant is not your atypical "white knight comes riding in" story. The author pulls no strings, no Deus Ex Machinas (“The Eagles are coming! The Eagles are coming!”), and there's the reality that people DIE in the book. Sure, everyone wants Covenant to live. They want him to go back to earth after all he's done. Yeah...and I want a big, SPOTLESS-CLEAN house, a red Ferrari, a white picket fence, two sitcom-perfect kids, a dog that knows to do all his tricks--and DON’T even get me started on the wife!! :wink:
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Personally, while I care deeply for the characters in all the books--I want them to all live long, healthy lives wrapped in the love of friends and family, achieving that which gives value to their lives with great success--what's most compelling is how they struggle in the name of essentials.

The point is not that Thomas Covenant dies--of course he'll die. So will you. And me. Everybody dies. One day the world itself will end. The point is what he does with the time he has.

In the end, it is less important how long Covenant lives than what he achieves. Likewise, Linden may have lost her Love, but she also has learned to love at all, and be loved. For her in particular that is a fantastic achievement. Cable Seadreamer and indeed all the Giants saved the world. The Haruchai learned humility and proved their worth (to themselves most of all). Most of all, they in the end were true and if the price was heartbreaking, that's because the prize was so valuable.

Anyway that's how I see it.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Hearthcoal
Lord

It seems...

Post by Hearthcoal »

...a bit simplistic to sum TC up with "...then he dies."

Did he die?

- Hearthcoal

BTW - Supreme, what in the world were you doing reading threads about the Third Chronicles? You gotta stay away from SPOILERS, child.

Reading a great work, especially when you are reading it for the very first time, is, as was said earlier, a journey.

Each pilgrim should make his own journey...read the books and discover where they take you. (Right now it seems that you are focused on where KW posts are taking you and not on SRD through TC.)
Serpreme

Post by Serpreme »

Umm i didnt know that the third chroncile would reveal 2nd chronicle spoilers.....who knew? o well i knew he'd die *sigh*

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”