Warhammer

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Warhammer

Post by Nathan »

I was reading through the Civfanatics forums today and happened across this little gem:

"They have this "Games and Toys" store in my town, run by Gimli the dwarf and frequented by many fat kids believing they are related to vampire hobbits. Perhaps that is why their mothers seem so eager to drop them off there for hours each day. Always sprawled out on the table is a giant three-dimensional map upon which, if I am not mistaken, said obeseties play Warhammer. It is a strange and magical place, where superfluous social customs like speech and not drinking mountain dew are almost entirely abandoned. A place where wealth is measured by the possession of painted metal figurines and illustrated playing cards, and where dominant males flaunt their power over subordinates by assimilating their trinkets. It is a place I have rarely frequented, but if I can have giant stone 'canines' attack halberd-wielding mummies in the sanctity of my own home, I may have to check it out."

I laughed for ages after reading that, and thought it would be unfair to leave others without knowledge of it.
Credit goes to Bungus for this.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

That's a bit harsh.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Oh lighten up Lore-el-lie! Here, have a drink! :cheers:
fall far and well Pilots!
Queeaqueg Darkmoon
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Queeaqueg Darkmoon »

Warhammer sucks!

I used to play it when i was 11 years old. Then I found Command & Conquer, this is could build and destroy and many troops as i want and i did not have to spend money (apart £40 on the game). Even that game got boring.

Warhammer is lame, they get broken, you build them wrong and it costs too much money. People who play warhammer, go outside and do something interesting like skating or football. but not with stupid little plastic models which are meant to have magic powers or shoot each other.
We are the invisible hand which holds the world. We strike with the power of a sword but with the agile and stealth of a snake.
UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

Ah, yes, skating and football. Truly these are the only two interesting activities that one is allowed to partake in. Otherwise, well...it's stupid.

I'll reserve my own opinions of skating and football as well as the people who take part in them for another day, I think...
Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I like the ideas and concepts in Warhammer, especially 40K, but I've never actually gone to the extent of trying it. I used to occasionally buy White Dwarf, just to read about the fun stuff. Maybe I should start doing that again.

Funny post, Nathan! :LOLS:
Queeaqueg Darkmoon
<i>Elohim</i>

No don't, waste of money. Either buy a war game like C&C or Warhammer. Or do something far better.
We are the invisible hand which holds the world. We strike with the power of a sword but with the agile and stealth of a snake.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Queeaqueg wrote:Warhammer sucks!

I used to play it when i was 11 years old. Then I found Command & Conquer, this is could build and destroy and many troops as i want and i did not have to spend money (apart £40 on the game). Even that game got boring.

Warhammer is lame, they get broken, you build them wrong and it costs too much money. People who play warhammer, go outside and do something interesting like skating or football. but not with stupid little plastic models which are meant to have magic powers or shoot each other.
For alot of these kids it's a community they can belong to. It can be an extremely rewarding hobby as it encourages artistic skills.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Queeaqueg wrote:No don't, waste of money. Either buy a war game like C&C or Warhammer. Or do something far better.
Did you just tell me not to bother with Warhammer, but instead to buy Warhammer? That was silly.

Anyway, there's room for all tastes (within reason) here.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The thing is, what I disagree with is that it's okay to knock a hobby that some see as a waste of time yet to expect not to be criticised for one's own interests. Now forgive me for what I am about to say, watchers. There are many people, and I have encountered them myself, that would say posting on a forum is a waste of time. Indeed, some people say reading fantasy and sci-fi is a waste of time. I, of course, disagree.
Queequeg I know about you through Hier, and you yourself could be criticised on the same grounds.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

I think people should stop playing sport and visiting forums where you don't know the author and play with Orks.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

You know, you're right! :o
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I'm pretty thick-skinned, but yeah the quote kind of irked me. I've heard crap like that far too many times to find it amusing. Bungus can go **** himself.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I'm pretty sure it was meant as a joke.
I know I took it as one.

I used to collect Warhammer myself, but the Games Workshop in Southend has closed down so i can't any more. My Dark Elves will just have to live peacefully I suppose.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Oh I knew it was a joke, as well. It's just that it seemed a bit cruel. But no one is blaming you.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Squeeasquig might ;)
Queeaqueg Darkmoon
<i>Elohim</i>

Warhammer the PC game.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

CovenantJr wrote:Squeeasquig might ;)
Who knows what that mysterious and odd being would find offensive? We both know he loves orks, yet that is all that he has revealed.
Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

I like orks
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Queeaqueg wrote:Warhammer the PC game.
Dawn of War is actually a very good game.

I can't disagree with you more though Queeaqueg, playing an RTS at home on your computer might have a similar tactical element as Warhammer games but there is no (or virtually no, if you're playing online) social interaction involved. Warhammer provides a common ground for kids who are probably geeks and likely are loners too. Sure, it costs more than an RTS, but there's something to be said for customising and painting minatures and creating the army you want to create (although one of the reasons I stopped was because the minatures were becoming too standardised, making it harder to have a unique set of models).

I played Games Workshop games until I went to university, and I'm glad I did. My group of friends all got into it at about the same time, and I'm fairly sure we would have drifted apart a lot sooner if we hadn't. Sure, it isn't cool (even back then, I remember thinking that it wasn't something I wanted to be doing in my thirties) but at least it is actual social interaction, and therefore is a healthier activity than living your life through the internet.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”