Canberra bushfires

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Canberra bushfires

Post by Landwaster »

Those not in Australia may not have heard much about it, but a bunch of bushfires are raging all over the country here, with the most threatening having hit Canberra (nations capital, approx 300,000 people) a couple of nights ago.

4 people have died, many more needing medical attention, 30,00 people were evacuated and HEAPS of houses lost. there was also some looting, which sometimes makes me wish that disasters like this could at least be a little more selective :-x

Skyweir is from that district, so I'm just putting this up to see how she's doing. Wishes are with you and all your family/accomplices up there in Canberra.

I haven't yet had a chance to look around the board and see if there's anything already mentioned, but I'm off to do that now.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

If thoughts and wishes are worth anything, mine are with all of you. It seems so odd to be so immersed in TCTC again (since I found this site), with images of all that power racing through my head, and then feeling so helpless when something like this happens.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

As u know I already put that blurb up in Announcements! Christ I am so damm worried about Sky and family!!! I rememember chatting w/Sky on IM about 3 months ago and Sky was going on about how beautiful the bush was (although very dry) and all the trails and wilderness areas the family hiked and enjoyed SO much! Let us pray that the Givens are safe and sound! :? Un42natley their Land is quite "wounded" at the moment... :cry:
fall far and well Pilots!
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Yeah I found your post after I put this up.

I've been trying to find out whether Sky's suburb was one of those affected.
Sevothtarte
Giantfriend
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Post by Sevothtarte »

Let's just take no news as good news for now ... There are a lot of reasons why they won't be able to log in here right now, or have more important things to deal with than an online forum. But that wouldn't mean they're in serious trouble, so let's not worry too much.

They're in our thoughts and they will be all right.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Ok I recently found out that Sky's suburb wasn't hit, thought suburbs not far away from it were. Hence its a pretty good bet that her power is affected.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Thank God! And thank you Landwaster, for the reassuring news! I hate the thought of anyone being hurt or losing their home, but I've been very worried about Lord Sky & family. I'm glad all is probably OK with them!
Love as thou wilt.

danlo
Lord

GOOD NEWS, 4 NOW!!!

Post by danlo »

Sky just reached us @ Ahira's Hangar, but can't get to the Watch:
well I'm sorry I havent responded to danlo's thread or been here in a while .. as you know we have been under siege here in Canberra .. the city is battling an enormous fire front kilometers long .. and here in North Belconnen [Nth West Canberra]on 3 fronts .. the same large front that encircles the whole of Canberra and 2 other smaller fronts.

We had fires here across the road on Saturday and Sunday .. and we had 3 properties to protect .. so we have been flat out!

I had hoped it was over Sunday night/Monday .. but its not! We have been put on alert today again .. and we are prepared for evacuation if needed.

The streets are smoke filled .. ventolin manufacturers must be making a killing .. :wink: :wink:

I am freaked .. I am worried for the kids .. I couldnt give a rats about the house .. even though we fight to preserve it .. and I couldnt give a rats about our personal property .. [apart from my new computer]

We now have a van and a sedan .. so there is no reason for me to leave the comp behind simply to add fuel to the already voracious fires! And thats what I am trying to convince my partner :wink: anyhoo ..

We are packing bags .. but just wanted to sign in and say .. bye maybe for a while ..

They are anticipating 65-80km winds today .. so if it comes, its gonna come in fast ..

From my dining room window we have seen the fires in the valley below .. and yes danlo .. when the fire hits eucaplypts .. there have been some spectacular explosions ..

Friends of ours live in Duffy the worst hit suburb of Canberra ..

they only lost their pergola .. no biggy .. but in excess of 400 homes have been lost and so far 4 deaths and 100's of injured ..

I have always loved living here .. its one place where even though you may live in suburbia you are surrounded by exquisite bushlands .. I wouldnt trade that for a fire-free concrete jungle .. and when this all blows over .. and we actually get to see the extent of the devastation .. its gonna be a time for mourning ..

The loss of the native flora and fauna and the devastation of everything we love burned to cinder ..

This is the worst bush-fire in the history of Canberra .. and some are saying it surpasses the Ash Wednesday fires in extremity. Victoria and NSW and soon WA are all been subject to these bushfires .. though not as extreme as experienced in the ACT now .. and they are made only more virulent by the drought and hot weather and winds we have had this summer ..

Any way .. I gotta go .. just wanted to check-in and say I may be away for a while .. depending on if I can swing keeping the comp and all ..

.. or .. umm :wink: :wink: this may be my last transmission :wink: :wink: :wink:

over and out .. roger [the] dodger! :wink: :wink:

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing
fall far and well Pilots!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”