Did you miss Covenant?

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

hamako
<i>Elohim</i>

Did you miss Covenant?

Post by hamako »

I was asking myself is Runes any the worse off for not having TC in it, and I can honestly say ( I think) that I am that chuffed to be reading about the Land again, it didn't really bother me. I think there's a lot of parallels between Linden's character & TC, especially in her struggle over how and when to use the ring.

When I heard that Linden was to be the main protagonist in the Last Chronicles, I was a bit disappointed, but now I'm way into RotE, I think it's no big deal.
He came dancing across the water...what a killer...
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I missed Covenant at every turn.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I certainly missed Covenant.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Re: Did you miss Covenant?

Post by I'm Murrin »

hamako wrote:When I heard that Linden was to be the main protagonist in the Last Chronicles
That has never actually been said. In Runes, definately. But SRD has hinted (and more than hinted) about other possibilities - as he said, it's not called the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant for nothing.
But I did miss him a little in Runes, though Linden is a good enough character to make up for his absence.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

I missed him, sure, but I know that he'll be back, so I'm patiently waiting. I also like Linden as a character, so wasn't as horribly bothered as others.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

I missed "Hellfire and Bloody Damnation!!!"
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
TincupCPG
Woodhelvennin

re..

Post by TincupCPG »

Did I miss Covenant? Since I really don't like Avery, the answer would be YES!! However, just becuase the last line in the book is such a shocker we shouldn't forget that Covenant is dead. Now, we have almost dozens of possibilities to consider here: Has Covenant been resurrected from the Dead? If so, by Whom? For what purpose? It cannot be Foul as that would make Covenant his tool and therefore useless to him. However, since Avery has his White Gold ring maybe Foul resurrected him to stop Avery in some way. And another to consider, if this is Covenant, what time frame is he from? This might be the least of the possibilities due to the other 6 books...where would Covenant be plucked from that we wouldn't have noticed his absence in the earlier books? Also, this Covenant might be a total outright trick of some kind since he reminded Avery that he was dead..but also that she should look for him. We might be facing 3-4 Covenants in the upcoming books before we get to the "real" Covenant. Jeez, who knows??
It is better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Creator wrote:I missed "Hellfire and Bloody Damnation!!!"

Yeah Linden's "Christ on a crutch!" didn't really have the same bite.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Aw, I liked that!
Idlewilder
Servant of the Land

Post by Idlewilder »

SRD says it is "unmistakably" TC. Of course, he is writing from Linden's POV, but she has regained her percipience, and she would know. Granted, we all know SRD is a past master at misdirection and at taking us in one direction, only to whip us completely around, but I believe that, in one shape or form, this revenant approaching Revelstone is indeed TC. Dead is not dead in the Land when the Laws of Death and Life are broken, and the ceasures are tearing chunks out of the AoT (and "Fatal" revenant fits in with the hub bub about TC destrying the Land--- of course, this destroying will be akin to his "surrender" to Foul in WGW).
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

It's fun to conjecture, but it's likely that none of us will get it right. He's just so darn clever.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Being 3/4 of the way through, I must say that I haven't missed Covenant, yet.

There are several reasons for this. Linden's search for Covenant, and his cryptic messages to her, have helped enhance the story. She needed to meet the Ramen and the Ranyhyn as Ringthane without him overshadowing her. And her reunion with the Haruchai was always going to be more interesting than his.

Because of these reasons, I think Linden has carried the story quite well on her own so far. However, I can see that she would wear herself out pretty soon. Part of what I loved about the second chronicles was the fact that it had both Covenant and Linden.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
hamako
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by hamako »

I've just got to the point in Runes where TC speaks to Linden thru Anele. FOr me the book gained a new depth when that happened so I MUST have missed him more than I thought!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Re: re..

Post by Revan »

TincupCPG wrote:Did I miss Covenant? Since I really don't like Avery, the answer would be YES!! However, just becuase the last line in the book is such a shocker we shouldn't forget that Covenant is dead. Now, we have almost dozens of possibilities to consider here: Has Covenant been resurrected from the Dead? If so, by Whom? For what purpose? It cannot be Foul as that would make Covenant his tool and therefore useless to him. However, since Avery has his White Gold ring maybe Foul resurrected him to stop Avery in some way. And another to consider, if this is Covenant, what time frame is he from? This might be the least of the possibilities due to the other 6 books...where would Covenant be plucked from that we wouldn't have noticed his absence in the earlier books? Also, this Covenant might be a total outright trick of some kind since he reminded Avery that he was dead..but also that she should look for him. We might be facing 3-4 Covenants in the upcoming books before we get to the "real" Covenant. Jeez, who knows??
Maybe he resurrected himself.
TincupCPG
Woodhelvennin

re..

Post by TincupCPG »

And yet another viable alternative. How would that be possible? Covenant IS the Wild Magic, which has no restraints. Possible, yes. Likely?? Only SRD knows. I just re-read WGW...and Covenant really goes out of his way both in front of Lord Foul AND later on in front of Linden Avery to absulutely insist that He and the Despiser are one and the same. He even commented to Foul that, "you are even starting to look like me".

Interesting? High Lord Kevin did not recognize Lord Foul for what he was until it was too late. And he had the health sense also. IF this could be Foul himself..might he be counting on the same thing?

And I also am of the opinion that this first book is almost just what it should have been. I did miss his poetry style of writing but I am sure we we will see more of that in the next three books. I have pointed out that LFB was a decidedly different book than the nect 5. He seemed to be "finding" his way as a writer in LFB...then exploded into TIW and the others. I rather think the same thing here. He has to get back into the "Land" again over a 20 year absence. And yet he is a different writer now...this is going to be interesting to see just where this all goes? I am starting tonite to re-read RUNES and see what my second go through reveals to me.
It is better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

SRD has said that yes, Covenant and Foul are "kinsmen", but not the way we would think. It's not going to be as simple as all that. Which we should know, given SRD.
TincupCPG
Woodhelvennin

re..

Post by TincupCPG »

Oh I know it won't be that simple!! SRD makes sure of that. It is just so much fun to imagine where the story will be going. I can think of lots and lots of complications, etc. This is the next best thing to having all 4 books already!
hamako
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by hamako »

you make such a good point here about Covenant and Foul being the same. Much debated point on the Watch, but one I've always agreed with. So much time shifiting available in the Last Chrons, could well be true. What a fantastic possibility though - Fould could be Covenant from another time frame and vice versa - after all Covenant beat Foul by turning white gold on himself. Maybe the true end of the whole story was at the end of WGW, and the last chronicles complete the time travelling circle?
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

burgs66 wrote:It's fun to conjecture, but it's likely that none of us will get it right. He's just so darn clever.
I hope so.
But I'm worried though.
The Watch wasn't here when the 2nd Chrons came out to dissect each book as they came out.
In addition we've had 20 years (Christ on a crutch! Has it really been that long?) to know both Chronicles *VERY* well.
Now we have how long to speculate on how the next book is going to play out?
2 years? 1 year?

Remember, if you give enough monkeys enough typewriters and enough time...

There's a good chance that, collectively, with all us us feeding off each other's ideas, we here at the Watch will come up with a better story than SRD himself!
;)
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Old Darth
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Old Darth »

I missed Convenant but not in the story that was laid out. He was missed like wanting to see an old friend would be. Linden's plight, and the new characters, is equally interesting. Now that Linden has the Staff and the White Magic it will be very interesting to see how she interacts with Convenant - if he is THE Thomas Convenant. Will he want the ring back? Will Linden give it up? I can not wait to find out.
Every man is my superior, in that, I may learn from him.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”