The Big Question

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

finn
The Gap Into Spam

The Big Question

Post by finn »

With time appearing to be negotiable, in the sense that it can be traversed, a question that keeps coming back to me is how was there knowledge of White Gold prior to Covenants first visit to the Land.

Add to this the (surely more than coincidental) fact that Berek had a halfhand and my speculations tell me that we must be heading for the past.

Is Berek, TC or Jeremiah?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I suppose Jeremiah could conceivably be Berek, but as I've said before, I don't see any way TC could be. 1) Berek lost his fingers in battle - TC lost his to leprosy and is no fighter anyway. 2) TC has seen Berek's ghost (PTP) and he would have noticed if they shared a face.

So not TC. I doubt Jeremiah too, since (as I said above) Berek lost his fingers in battle with the King's army, and Jeremiah has already lost his. We can overlook Jeremiah's lack of fighting skill since he's young enough to live in the past for a while and become a warrior, and TC had never seen Jeremiah (indeed, Jeremiah wasn't born) at the time he saw Berek's ghost, so that's not an issue.

To summarise: I don't buy TC as Berek, but I reluctantly concede that Jeremiah could be the man for the task.
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

.......and the knowledge of White Gold?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

As far as I recall, knowledge of white gold was revealed to Berek when the Earthpower spoke to him.
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

I don't actually recall that, however, the main point would still hold. The big question for me is how is there knowledge of White Gold prior to it coming to the land? It would seem that if Earthpower revealed knowledge to Berek (and I don't quarrel with your recollections CJ), how did IT know and is it then in a way sentient?

I don't think so, but as a store of power and accumulated Knowledge, where did 'Earthpower' get that knowledge? Prescience?

Again, I don't think so; despite evidence that Earthpower is in some way able to traverse time (Ranyhyn summonses, Bloodguard, laws of Life and Death and so on).

For knowledge to exist thousands of years before TC was summoned, surely White Gold had to have been in existence in the land at that, or an earlier stage.

So it seems likely to me, given such phenomenen as Caesures and their effects, that it was taken back to a time prior to the knowledge being revealed to Berek. The likely candidates are our main protagonists (and I'd include Foul), two of which have half hands like Berek.

Its circumstantial, but does seem to me at least, to stretch coincidence. Nonetheless, the half hand issue is potentially at least, an effect. The cause and the question in my mind is the White Gold existing in the past and how it got there.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

The question has been asked in the Gradual Interview, and SRD's answer was something like "myth, prophecy, lore?".
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Berek learned many things from Earthpower.
Consider the Elohim. The Elohim are pure Earthpower. They knew about White Gold, knew about the Sun-Sage, knew what caesures were and what they are caused by. The Earthpower, being the substance of the Earth itself, would know of "wild magic graven in every rock; contained for White Gold to unleash or control", so Berek could conceivably have found it out from the earth.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Do we really need a reason why White Gold is significant?

I don't think that the Final Chrons is going to be particularly about revealing logical explanations for everything in the first two. This is going to be a character journey. It's not a journey in historical accounting.

I'm not saying time travel won't be integral. I'm saying that time travel is not going to be used in order to create a neat and tidy, self-contained, internally consistent cosmos. Some authors set out to create that; many authors have done it; but I'd be disappointed if this is where SRD is going.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Unless, the "Earthpower" that spoke to Berek was in some way a ceasure manifestation of Linden. (whatever the hell that means!!!)

And Roger is still a candidate for Berek.
His physical similarity to his father was explained by Linden right in the beginning.
TC hadn't seen his Roger since he was a baby and all he saw during shade appearance at the end of TPTP might have been an adult Roger and then add a beard for some more confusion and ...... he's "Berek".

It's freaking wide open people!
Almost anything is possible.
:lol:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:It's freaking wide open people!
Except SRD has said that (minor Mod edit)
Spoiler
caesures have extremely limited effect prior to the breaking of the Law of Life, and even less effect before the Law of Death was broken. And, he's said that he doesn't really think that much on the history of the Land and it's past, unless it pertains directly to a character journey.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Murrin wrote:
High Lord Tolkien wrote:It's freaking wide open people!
Except SRD has said that (minor Mod edit)
Spoiler
caesures have extremely limited effect prior to the breaking of the Law of Life, and even less effect before the Law of Death was broken. And, he's said that he doesn't really think that much on the history of the Land and it's past, unless it pertains directly to a character journey.
Hey, this Donaldson guy is really starting piss me off!!
:P
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I have it on good authority that Berek's Queen turns out to be Susie Thurston.
Jerico
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Jerico »

Roger might be the 'mad king' but, Liand gets my vote for Berek :lol:
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Wayfriend wrote:I have it on good authority that Berek's Queen turns out to be Susie Thurston.
OK, I'll bite - who is that?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Wayfriend wrote:I have it on good authority that Berek's Queen turns out to be Susie Thurston.
OK, I'll bite - who is that?
Fame and Reknown, and 10 cents US*, to whoever gets this first.
----------
* less a shipping and handling fee of $0.10.
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

The singer that calls Covenant Berek in the Illearth War.

Now i want my 10 cents.
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Although technically she called him Berrett...he was just too drunk to know any better....plus she can't be Berek's queen, she was married to an alcoholic---now what was his name?!??!??!??!?!?
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

He was not named in the book IIRC.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

no, he wasn't I was just seeimg if anyone had any ideas!
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time

Post by Guest »

I think her husband reversed his first and last name after he won the lottery and became a millionaire. Luckily, he was lost at sea after a three hour tour with his mistress. His first name used to be Howell.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”