Most Annoying / Favorite TV Commercials

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

jelerak
Bloodguard

Most Annoying / Favorite TV Commercials

Post by jelerak »

Any of you who are subjected to the constant barrage of TV commercials know that there are a few that just are gut-wrenching to sit through. There are, however, a few that are worth watching.

Ones that currently has me grabbing for the remote EVERY time that they are on are the prescription drug advertisements.

Remember the good ole days when lawyers couldn't advertise on TV? Or prescription drug medicines, either?

What ever happened to the classic Miller Lite commercials? Spud McKenzie? Alex from Stroh's?
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

That Enzyte commercial, or Enzylyte, or whatever the hell it's called, that plays on the Sci-Fi all the time... you know, Bob and his "confidence" - I despise it. I want to slap whoever decided that those commercials were appropriate for the time-slots they play in (heh, and I don't even have kids).

I don't have a favorite current commercial, but I was partial to the one Budwiser did a few years back with the Clydesdales playing football. There was a really cute, sentimental one about a colt running alongside the hitch a little while ago, too.

There was one with a penguin, also... "doo bee, doo-bee, doo." Anyone remember what beer that was for?
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

Beware the pengiun...

Bud Light.
Gart
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Gart »

The current top of my hate parade has got to be the endless stream of adverts for mobile ringtones. Particularly the "Crazy Frog", which, if it were real, would by itself be the best argument I've ever seen for allowing vivesection. :evil:
...but in the morning, I will be sober
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

The various Hardee's commercials showing women cramming large amounts of whatever into their mouths. It's really in poor taste. My husband swears up and down there is one with a guy too. I haven't seen it! (To be fair, he watches alot more television than I do.)
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I saw a Japanese commerial on The CLIO (international advestising) Awards about, say, 18 years ago that went like this: It was a soap commericial and had a bunch of little schoolboys in their communal bath-zoom in on one kid's face looking terribly worried and then a big bubble pops in the water right in the middle of the group. All of a sudden all the boys are on the far end of the pool except for the quilty party who appears to be about to cry. I think the motto was "Don't stand out in the crowd use ---- soap", it had me literally rolling around on the ground laughing for 20 minutes.
Last edited by danlo on Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

I detest any and all commercials talking about "erectile disfunction" UGH!!!!

OH...and all those misleading, false advertising anti-depressant commercials where they claim to not be "habit forming". Blatant lie right there...
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

The current top of my hate parade has got to be the endless stream of adverts for mobile ringtones. Particularly the "Crazy Frog", which, if it were real, would by itself be the best argument I've ever seen for allowing vivesection.
HEAR HEAR! I hated it the first time I heard it, now I can't bear to. If I don't have the chance to change the channel or mute it I have to leave the room. Punching anyone doing an imitation is now a reflex.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

I hate all adverts!

1. I hate adverts who try to be funny but are not
2. I hate loan adverts because they are horrible the way they trap people
3. I hate adverts that guilt-trip
4. I hate adverts that start off serious then go stupid
5. I hate adverts that are a rip off from the start and they hide it down at the bottom
6. I hate adverts who play my fav songs and then make me hate them because I have heard the song too much because the damn advert is on too many times
7. I hate adverts that show washed up famous people who can't get jobs and they need to be in the public eye all the time
8. I hate adverts that are stupid

Other then that...
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

There was a commercial on Animal Planet where a dog was licking a giant bone, and it said something like "Celebrate you dog". The thing that made me angriest was the foley: it sounded like the dog was slurping water, instead of licking a bone. It was quite a nerve-wracking sound, and it went on and on and on--to the point that I said "stop" out loud. And then, to rub it in, the commercial ended with "bon appetit". It was so bad that I didn't want to "celebrate my dog"; I wanted to commit heinous acts of animal cruelty. I'm never watching Animal Planet again. Ever.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

Sonic has the funniest commercials. two idiot guys in a car at the take-out. hilarious.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

"Peaches, Bass and Jelly."..."Ahh mom!"
fall far and well Pilots!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I like the commercial where a referee is getting chewed out by a coach on the sideline, and the commentators are talking about what a beating he's getting, and how does one prepare to handle such verbal abuse - then it cuts to the same guy sitting on a couch while his wife screams in his ear:

"When are you going to paint the porch? And the cat litter - it's been 3 weeks! Three weeks! And would it hurt you to tell me you love me every once in a while?"

Really funny, but does hit a little close to home.....
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

"jobless pete, or cries-himself-to-sleep"
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

- The Carl's Jr. commercials. The announcer's voice really grates on me for some reason.

- Lawyer commercials. I swear they use the same set for every commercial. They always have some guy sitting at a desk with a bookshelf of law books behind him while he yaks about how you can sue the pants off somebody if you fall off a ladder or your lungs have rotted from exposure to asbestos.

- Trade school commercials (Microskills, ITT Tech, etc.) that make it sound like you're guaranteed to make megabucks if you graduate from them.

- Diet pill commercials. 'Nuff said.

- Cheap insurance commercials. I'm not expecting something big-budget here, but these commercials push the envelope on cheesiness. The worst used to be these commercials for some place called Eastwood Insurance (I dunno if they're local to me or if they're nationwide) that had this dorky guy dressed as Clint Eastwood from an old spaghetti western like Fistful of Dollars or something.

Thankfully, most of these commercials only seem to be on during the day and not at night, so unless I'm working at home that day or I happen to get home early from work, I usually don't see them.
The Pumpkin King
<i>Haruchai</i>
Location: If I knew that, I wouldn't be here, would I? ;) Or, really, would I? Gaaaahh...

Post by The Pumpkin King »

The best commercials that have EVER been done are the old DiscoveryChannel.com ones.

"Hello, Meteor."
"Hello there."
"Have you heard about the website Discovery.com?"

*etc etc*

"Ahhh. The atmosphere. Ahhhhhh."

The awful acting, terrible special effects, and shameless aspect of them...they were brilliant
Go Godzilla, go!
Jurassic Lizard Superstar Hero
Go Godzilla, go!
For the people, for the planet!
Gart
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Gart »

Number 2 on my list: Adverts for personal injury lawyers.

"Have you been hurt in a trip or fall?" No, but I'd quite like you to be, you ambulance chasing ghoul.
...but in the morning, I will be sober
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Fat Trapper...side effects may include:
Increased Flatulance with an oily disscharge
Increased bowel movements, and an inability to controll them.

-Oh sign me Up!!
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Avytaya
Stonedownor

Post by Avytaya »

There is this commercial about nail fungus and some little creature that lives in the nail. It lifts up a toenail and digs in and the toe nail starts flaking off. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
I have never been more freaked out by a commerical. Can't change the channel fast enough when that one is on.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

For Dickens Fruit Stands.

"Come on down to Dickens fruit stand, and try our famous cider....that's right, bring your wife, she'll just love a nice hot Dicken's cider"
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time

Return to “TV Shows”