Plains of Ra

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

balon!
Lord

Plains of Ra

Post by balon! »

Ok, so i've got a question. Why is there just this one reference to Egyptian culture? Or am i missing some other culture using the word Ra? Doesn't it just seem a bit out of place?
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

It struck me at first, but it soon wore off (like the name Kevin) and I haven't really given it any thought in years. So I have no idea.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

It's a little known fact, but The Plains of Ra is actually a reference to the character from the movie "Stargate".-jay

(The Ramen are also a reference to the noodle soup of the same name.)
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

*groans* Jay, you're awful! ;) ;) LOL, Stargate does tend to come to mind, though, indirectly. When I think of Ra, I think of the sun... the plains of the sun... horses galloping in the sun... etc. I think it's one of those "Kevin" things, like CJ said. SRD always says that when he gets a name in his head, he doesn't question it, even if it seems incongruous with the rest of the story.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Or maybe SRD is just a huge Kurt Russell fan. Possible GI question?

"Dear Mr. SRD Sir, How much were your books influenced by sci-fi movies made after you wrote the series? Follow up: Any opinions on Kurt Russell playing Covenant? Thx in advance."

Hehe, ok, I'll stop now.-jay
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Raiders of the Lost Ark - Ra Reference: :)

"Exactly what *is* a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"
Grimmand Honninscrave
Woodhelvennin

Post by Grimmand Honninscrave »

One problem. He wrote the books before Stargate. I think it was just that he got the name in his head or that Ra means sun. Plains of the Sun.
Capt'n, There be whales here.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Tanis development proceeding. Acquire Headpiece - Staff of Ra. Abner Ravenwood. U.S.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Plains of Ra
Land Mass

Post by Plains of Ra »

Whatever Egypt is, I have no connection with it.

The name of the noble horses does not come from my name; my name comes from them. In truth, I am the Plains of Ranyhyn. (Also - Ranyhynmen) When the One Forest was being destroyed, the area that became my body, because of its geological structure and the types of trees that grew there, became plains relatively early. And the amanibhavam, which had grown only sporadically among the Forest's trees, flourished. The Ranyhyn, who had previously lived outside of the One Forest (occasionally venturing in among the trees for a treat), soon found this paradise, made it their home, and became the very essence of me.
*neigh*
*winny*
*snort*
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Frankly we're somewhat suspicious of Dr. Ravenwood--an American being mentioned so prominently in a secret Nazi cable.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Post by kevinswatch »

Yeah, but the Ramen had to have gotten their name from the noodles. Maybe they're college students or something.-jay
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

So do they have different clans... like the Oriental Ramen, the Beef Ramen, the Creamy Chicken Ramen?
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Post by kevinswatch »

Now that sounds like a prime Gradual Interview question.

We also still need to ask what kind of donuts Mhoram likes. I'm betting some sort of cream filled.-jay

balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Gradual Interview? Im probobly missing something REALLY important, anyone care to explain?
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Plains of Ra wrote:Whatever Egypt is, I have no connection with it.

The name of the noble horses does not come from my name; my name comes from them. In truth, I am the Plains of Ranyhyn. (Also - Ranyhynmen) When the One Forest was being destroyed, the area that became my body, because of its geological structure and the types of trees that grew there, became plains relatively early. And the amanibhavam, which had grown only sporadically among the Forest's trees, flourished. The Ranyhyn, who had previously lived outside of the One Forest (occasionally venturing in among the trees for a treat), soon found this paradise, made it their home, and became the very essence of me.
Very nice!!!
:D
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Balon wrote:Gradual Interview? Im probobly missing something REALLY important, anyone care to explain?
Not me.
It will the ruin the sense of excitment (like I had) when you do find it.

Search for it.
And you will grow more frustrated....
And then........ Nirvana!

(Well maybe not Nirvana)

And then let us know how much more frustrating it is after you've read the GI and find some of your lovely theory's get tossed out the window!

Damn the GI, damn it all to hell!!!
:lol: :lol:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Thanks for that. Ive always favored self-taught knowledge. Sometiems though i cant help asking for a straight answer.
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Matrixman wrote:Frankly we're somewhat suspicious of Dr. Ravenwood--an American being mentioned so prominently in a secret Nazi cable.
It's a conspiracy! The Nazis were actually acting as Foul's agents in this world and trying to find the Staff of Ra (Law?) in our world after it disappeared into a caesure and got sent to our world instead.

Man....I'm never going to look at Raiders of the Lost Ward of Kevin's Lore the same way again.

:P
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Ask a question around here and the answer will be either a haruchai (short and unhelpful) or Kevin's Watch (ridiculously huge)
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

My teacher is giving me dirty looks due to my alughing. THANKS A LOT GUYS!!! *heh heh, Haruchai, kevinswatch heh heh*

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”