stains

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Warmark
Lord

stains

Post by Warmark »

sorry if this has been discussed before

but in the first chrons TC gets covered in tree stains and this seems to be significant but nothing ever comes of it

somewhere it says its like a map?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

in [u]Lord Foul's Bane[/u], Chapter 18: [i]The Plains of Ra[/i] was wrote:Sourly, he reached a hand up to get his staff from Dura's saddle, and noticed for the first time what Morinmoss had done to his white robe. It was spattered and latticed with dark green stains - the markings of the moss.

The stains offended him. With a scowl, he looked around the company. The other riders must have been more adept at dodging; they showed none of the green signature of the moss. Lord Mhoram was the only exception; each shoulder of his robe bore a dark stripe like an insignia.

Roughly, Covenant rubbed at the green. But it was dry and set. Darkness murmured in his ears like the distant rumor of an avalanche. His shoulders hunched like a strangler's. He turned away from the Questers, stamped back into the river. Knotting his fingers in his robe, he tried to scrub out the stains of the Forest.

But the marks had become part of the fabric, immitigable; they clung to his robe, signing it like a chart, a map to unknown regions. In a fit of frustration, he pounded the river with his fists. But its current erased his ripples as if they had never existed.
But it is significant.

The markings, along with the loss of his original clothes, represent the Land exerting it's unwanted influence upon him, changing him, perhaps permanently. Covenant is offended because, to him, this implies that his dream is becoming more influential; that, in fact, he is growing irreperably insane.
Spoiler
And then, at the end of the book, when all these things are gone, as if they have never been - this, too, is profound.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Excellent post wayfriend...
But I too was like Warmark, I always hoped that some more would come out of the stains.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Have you guys seen the discussions about this topic in Runes forum?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

drew wrote:But I too was like Warmark, I always hoped that some more would come out of the stains.
Ummm ... like what, for example?
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

like a real map to somewhere - that would have been cool if someone cool if somebody turned up that could read his robes
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Well....Morrinmoss is part of what was the One Forest. If someone were able to read some history in the markings (Runes Spoiler)
Spoiler
The Way Anele can read mountains
It might have helped out the cause.
Or the people might have learned how the trees perceive to current Land inhabitants....stuff like that!!
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

if he could have found the robe in the 2nd chrons it might have told him the way to the one tree. that would have been good the one forest (or part of it) helping to find the one tree
BraulioB
Stonedownor

Post by BraulioB »

In Lord Foul's Bane when they exit Morrinmoss Covenant is covered in the green spotches from the moss. Also, Mhoram has a bit on his shoulders. I always took this as marks of their power. Covenant, of course, has the white ring, but Mhoram, as we see, becomes a very potent person too.

It's sort of like when they make it to the bridge in Mount Doom. Covenant sees the Bloodguard as solid, Mhoram a bit less so, and Prothall flickering. It's their potential power.

B
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

It's sort of like when they make it to the bridge in Mount Doom.
Would this be a good examply of a "Tolkien slip"? ;)
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

I wanted to revive this first to make fun of the Mount Doom thing and second to add something to the stains thing.

From memory, Covenant had a mishmash of marks on his robe, while Mhoram had something on his shoulders, almost ordered, kind of like an insignia or signage. Correct my inaccuracies as my books are in storage.

Now, I could surmise until the cows come home, and I will.

I have two comments re Covenants seemingly random marks.
1) Could it be a comparison of authoritative power? 'You Are The White Gold'. Some where is he marked? All bloody over. Mhoram has marks on his shoulders, where the stripes and insignia of authorities often lay (coppers, military, regency). Seems Mhoram's signify his being 'in charge', the decision-maker for the people. Alternatively it may relate to the role of the shoulders, Mhoram's great strengths include bearing burdens of leadership, knowledge and doom.
2) This one is more simple. Covenants is all over, weird pattern. Mhorams' is more orderly. What's the story with Covenant's? Surely nowhere else in the entire story is any mention made of designs so elaborate and complex that they seem illegible, but hint at order?

All those who discuss can go to the mountains. All those who abstain can watch me read this little spell I copied out of the library.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Going by other encounters that happen in the Chronicles, you would expect one of the Land's races, maybe the Waynhim, to be able to read meaning into the stains, make alot of them, but of course not tell TC what they mean!

Or maybe because Morinmoss had 'gone to sleep' as it were, the designs were an attempt at communication that had no chance of succeeding because the forest was beyond communicating intelligently?
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

I definitely believe it IS the work of Morinmoss ... sheesh the name of the forest even has MOSS in it, so it obviously gets all excited about moss. :)

So the forest done gone and did it, I'm certain. Was it attempting to communicate with TC and Mhoram? Or was it purely marking them with its perception OF them? It is possible that it could be both, perhaps it was designating what import these two had. Its a forest, part of the One one from ages ago, its probably thinking fairly big-picture :)

So I reckon its attempting both, duplicitly judging and making the judgees aware of those judgements (though the judgees could not decipher), and their station in Morinmoss' eyes can't have been too slight, if Morinmoss went to the effort.

On the other hand, what if they were simply pass-outs? Or some form of two-for-one offer (thank you please call again).

By the way I worked out what the marks on TC's robe meant anyway, if not Mhoram's ... TC's meant "amanibhavam poisoning sufferer, if found, please administer the life of one unfettered but if pain persists, kill him and sell his ring on ebay".
Do you think I like being this dangerous?

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”