third chronicles, where it takes place

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

third chronicles, where it takes place

Post by Revan »

wouldn't it be the coolest for the thrid chronicles to take place in the real world.

now i know that would be impossible to do, because foul can't leave the lands, but lets face it, from the beginning covenant has screwed up every law, used it for toilet paper and flushed it down the u-bend. so i don't see why the law that binds foul in the land can't go down to the sewers to follow every other law that has covenants errr................, (hang on let me think of a word the is neither swearing nor lame.)

six minutes seventeen seconds and 34 microsecongs later.

now i have put forth all my intelligence, mind skill to this. i have spent (time is above) towards this ingenious, amazing gre--- alright i'm annoying all who read this now so i'll get on with it. get the drums rollin
(drums are rollin)

(contined on from all the way up there) other law that has covenants POOPOO on it.

anyway ignore all the crap i've written and read my actual point. infact ignore every think i've written, don't even enter this topic, and tell the other members to do the same.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

seconDs on secongs, man i feel more stupid than ever
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Try going to decaf, Tuvor. ;)

Personally, I'd be a little upset if the third chrons were in "our" world. Even at its worst I've loved the land. I highly doubt it could happen, though. The law that holds Foul in the Land is the Arch of Time, and if that's broken...

From some of the rumors I've heard, however, I wouldn't be too surprised if the AoT was broken at the end.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Hell, I'd like the third Chrons. to be reminiscent of TOT as in: main characters going to other lands, in the same 'world' as the Land exists in.
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

NO! old lords or brand new lords, there is no other purity :P
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

But the 3rd Chrons already is happening in the real world: Drool (daddy Bush) has been ressurected by the Cavewrights in the form of our current President and Foul (Dick Cheney) controls him! I just hope the 1st book isn't titled The Wounded Illearth Iraq!
fall far and well Pilots!

Post by Guest »

I know a lot of people want the next books to take place in the land, and i respect that. but, think. what could donaldson do to avoid repeating the same story.

maybe he can make the haruchai, not evil, but very strict, like if you smile after 5pm you get kicked in the face by an haruchai. but thats just having an all out war like in the first chronicles.

i have also heard some talk about thomas covenant being the next enemy, that might be original for some, but if you think outside the box, you'll find that its just the same enemy; but with a different face.

i don't think foul could come back again without the story appearing lame. because he can now never escape the earth. and the only power he could ever have used to do so was the wild magic, (because powers like the illearth stone cannot break the earth, because they are part of it; so only some thing from the outside could destroy the earth.) now that hope has gone because covenant will just become stronger. and the fact is linden would not give him the ring, she would use the power to make him diminished for another few thousand years. the only thing that would stop her from doing something like that is if you take away her health sense so she can't control it, that wouldn't be something new.
the only other original storyline i can think of is Roger coming to the land because, as someone has said, he is likely to be messed up. and i agree that you have to be screwed up in the head to go to the land.

man this topic has gone waaaaay off track to the idea i first but forward. sorry if i'm confusing
Hearthcoal
Lord

Post by Hearthcoal »

Well – The idea of the Third Chronicles continues to pique interest. So, I am going to do an encore of a stunt I pulled some time ago.

I am going to place this same post at all of the following topics.

This will accomplish two things:

1. It will annoy a lot of people (sorry folks) by moving all the Third Chronicles topics to the top of the list, temporarily. Not to worry though, they'll drift back down lower in the list soon.

2. Now each of these threads will be linked to each other, sort of a cross reference.

- Hearthcoal

1. Will SRD Ever Write The Last Chronicles??

2. Bad News About The 3rd Chronicles?

3. Possible News About The 3rd Chronicles

4. 3rd chronicles addendum

5. Book 7, contacting Donaldson, the lost Wards

6. Prequel

7. Poll! TC in 3rd chrons...yes, no maybe so?

8. third chronicles, where it takes place

9. Third Chronicles?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

There is one event I'm pretty sure of about the Last Chrons (packed with spoilers about events in WGW, so I'm hiding this one):
Spoiler
The Staff of Law will be destroyed in some way. Remember the Curse of Kastenessen - Findail, although only alive in essence within the staff, is going to die eventually, and the only way I see it happening is the destruction of the second Staff.
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Bloody hell! If that happens, I won't read the book.
:( :? 8O
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Yow! 8O very interesting point! :?
fall far and well Pilots!
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

I think that Kasstenessen's curse came to pass when Findail was transformed into the new staff. That's enough of a "death" from his point of view (despite the fact that Vain - in one of his eyepopping four sentences - said that it would not be a "death").

It would definately be a shame to destroy the staff that took the entire second chronicles to make. I personally don't think that will happen, unless it's absolutely necessary to redeem the earth in the end.
dukkha
Ramen

Post by dukkha »

There's another alternative to the destruction of the staff. The staff could be corrupted. The 2nd Chronicles shows that it's possible to corrupt Earthpower. Findail is (supposedly) Earthpower incarnate. That's my vote.

SRD is probably going to surprise us all, however. Blood? Sunbane? Who thought of those before the 2nd Chronicles?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Incidentally, things don't look good for Kevin's Watch itself. (grin)
We can only guess at what will happen in the Last Chronicles...
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

Right on 251!!!!

I guess we'll all have to wait & see won't we????

Takes all the fun out of the postulating doesn't it....or does it? Maybe someone will hit the nail on the head (as it were) and come up with the story line SRD has decided on.....but then again...

dukkh said
SRD is probably going to surprise us all, however. Blood? Sunbane? Who thought of those before the 2nd Chronicles?
"You're afraid of yourself."
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I have every faith that SRD WILL surprise us!
The King has one more move.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Another thought I've just had on the topic of post-sunbane Land - Not speculating on events, just want to bring up an interesting point.
In WGW we see the death of Caer Caveral (or however you spell it), and the destruction of most of Andelain - the only place in the Upper Land with trees. This means that in the new age after the Second Chrons, the last remnant of the great Forest is Giant Woods - pretty much dormant, as we are told in LFB. This means the end of the communal mind of the trees, the end of the Forestals, and as we know, the Collosus fell - all the work of the Elohim to pretect the trees is undone, and he new trees will be plain, ordinary trees, no different to the ones in our world, and unable to even partially defend themselves against Ravers and other creatures.

And another point about Lord Fouls strength - the ur-viles turned against him, many were destroyed. Samadhi Sheol is 'rent', leaving only two of the ravers. This leaves a large gap in Fouls forces - the ravers were the commanders of his armies, and the ur-viles played an important role in keeping the Cavewights under control - will he have to find new ways to oppose the Land? I think we can safely assume his assault on it won't come through military action, as it did in the times pre-sunbane.
dukkha
Ramen

Post by dukkha »

In thinking about this, I've decided that the Land will be just like our world. It will no access to the Earthpower. The destruction of the forests will eliminate the access to Earthpower through wood, and something else will happen to stop it through stone. No one will have health sense. And something will happen to the Haruchai and the Ranyhyn to make them more normal.

I'm probably full of it, however!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I wouldn't expect the Ranyhyn to become more normal - since the passage read by SRD was of Linden running and 'melding' with the Ranyhyn, this seems to suggest they're as potent as ever.

There is also a small dilemma - Is Linden the right person for the job? She has powerful health-sense, she interects well with the Ranyhyn (my guess is she'll choose not to ride them, though, just as the Ramen do not ride), and for some reason she just seems to me like she would be too good at it - she has full control over the Wild Magic and can use it to do anything she wishes, which just seems like too much freely available power for the ring-wielder to have. With Covenant, he was the right choice for his task in the First Chrons, and his lack of control over the magic only made it easier for him to realise the truth about defeating Foul in the end - that he can't defeat Foul with the Wild Magic.
GSG

Post by GSG »

Remember that almost the first half of The Wounded Land took place in our world and that Lord Foul was able to influence events in our world through Joan (who seems to have given herself over to despite over her guilt of divorcing Thomas).

Possible spoilers, because I'm pretty sure I'm right here, so select the white on white text:

We've got a new staff of law, but I believe that the law of death is still broken. Remember that Elena breaks that law at the end of The Illearth War, but the Staff of Law survives for a few years until it is destroyed by Covenant/The Colossus near the end of The Power That Preserves. There's plenty of evidence to suggest that the Law of Death is still broken. If that's the case, we'll probably see a lot of Thomas Covenant in the third series.

As to where it takes place, I'm sure it will be like the previous books: a setup that takes place in the real world, and then most of the action taking place in The Land. I just hope that they don't set out for the Worm At World's End again.

I suspect that in the intervening time between the Second Chronicles and the Third, Lord Foul has had a chance to master many ghosts and have them run amok in whatever is left of The Land. I think it would be interesting if, say, three thousand Land Years after the events of the Second Chronicles, we found The Land to be overrun with a population of people who know nothing about earthpower. Perhaps Kevin's Watch was cut down to make way for a new Starbucks?

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”