My Biology Teacher Has Read Thomas Covenant

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Lord Mhoram
Lord

My Biology Teacher Has Read Thomas Covenant

Post by Lord Mhoram »

We were discussing the nervous system and diseases that leave you unable to feel pain, and I enquired as to the nature of how leprosy affects this. Elaborating on my question I said "Because I read a book where a man had to constantly check himself for cuts etc because he couldn't feel the pain himself."

My teacher answered: "Thomas Covenant? I've read those books and liked them very much."

Sweet. :D I just thought it was interesting that somebody I know has read the books.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Other than at Elohimfest, I don't know that I've ever run into someone. :) Hopefully you can have some good talks. 8)
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

duchess,

He is aware of Runes but has not read it. I told him he should definitely get it.
fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

Post by fightingmyinstincts »

That's awesome. My high school Biology teacher was pretty damned cool, too. He played D&D, and called me a gnome...well, that wasn't so cool, but I"m not sensitive about my height too much. :lol:

I finally convinced a friend to read TCTC, but that's the only IRL Donaldson fan I know. You're lucky!
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

If it was my teacher, it would go something like this.

"miss, what about lepro-"

"SILENCE, CHILD!!! I AM SPEAKING NOT YOU!!!!!!!" :x :x :x
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I heard those Scotish schools can be pretty rough.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Rincewind
Giantfriend

Post by Rincewind »

i know a guy who went to teach in taiwan, he says beatings for the kids are allowed, etc.

one time he got so pissed at em, he popped a blood vessel in his eye, and the kids started freaking out

funny stuff
safetyjedi
The Gap Into Spam

The Beatings Will Now Commence

Post by safetyjedi »

There shall now be beatings for all.....
Join me and we can end this destructive conflict...
Rincewind
Giantfriend

Post by Rincewind »

sweet, i love beating people
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Weelllllll..... My school librarian - one of 'em - has read the Gap. (Worry not, I shall foist TC on her soon...) I often ahem... impersonate Angus, and she recognised him. That was a bit, er, embarassing, as I was using the full vocabulary of our dear criminal..... :twisted: Did I mention that this was at Wal-Mart? Haha, no violent reprecussions.... :roll:
safetyjedi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by safetyjedi »

TCTC was extremely popular with my microbiology professors in college, one of whom was working on finding a new medium to grow the leprosy bacteria in. I think it had something to do with the feet of armadillos but it has been a long time ago.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Lets see here..

Post by lurch »

..HHHmmm...petri dishes, wal-mart, armadillo feet, and beatings,,,must be something of commonality in there to have fun with......naaah..

...anyway...I am perplexed by this thread. Within my extended family there are many who have read Donaldson's work. His work is always subject of discussion at get togethers and what not. Knowing only one other person who has read his work seems so...i don't know...maybe its like fathoming the distance of a light year....MEL
safetyjedi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by safetyjedi »

hey, it's all fun!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

lurch,

Well outside of all you guys, only my dad and one of my aunts, plus my biology teacher, have read Covenant, to my knowledge.
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

I've recommended them to people in the past who have then read them but I have only encountered one other person who had already read them or who had even heard of SRD.
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

My 8th grade English teacher, Ms Sylvester, had read the books (remarked that Vain was one of her favorite characters, which confused me at the time because I was still on the First Chrons), and later the same year, my shop teacher, Mr Panel, loaned me The One Tree (library only had tWL and WGW).
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Syl,

Had some cool teachers there, huh?
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

I'm gradually coming across more people who are Donaldson fans. My choir director at church loves them, along with a bunch of people from his college that he invited into the choir, and one of his profs even quotes them during her lessons (I almost went to that Bible college just for that ;) ). Then there's a bunch of people at my own Bible college. Oh, and my boyfriend's family...my boyfriend introduced them to me, so obviously him.
I love coming across Donaldson fans...the books haven't gotten much advertising up here, so it's always a bit of a surprise to me when I find one.
"A choice made freely is stronger than one compelled"
- Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I have run into several people who have read the books but they were not as affected by them as I am. Only when I came to the Watch did I meet other TC fans.
The King has one more move.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”