Watching topics - email notification

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

Vain
Nom

Watching topics - email notification

Post by Vain »

I am currently receiving rejected mails for what appears to be all hotmail addresses.

If you have set certain topics to be watched, and have a hotmail account, would it be possible to change your email address. For some reason, it appears to be hotmail only.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Done, though I don't remember setting any topics for notice.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I haven't set any topics to be watched, but I sure get announcement messages from KW in my hotmail acct.

~MsMary~
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

MsMaryMalone wrote:I haven't set any topics to be watched, but I sure get announcement messages from KW in my hotmail acct.

~MsMary~
I think it might just be Hearthcoal and Seasuace's hotmail accounts becase I received errors from my little mail out.....
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Maybe their mailboxes are too full...I always read the little Daemon Mailer message to see if that is the problem, or if the address just isn't recognized.

~MsMary~
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Ever since work was done on KW yesterday, I haven't gotten a single "You are watching this thread" email.

Yes, a post has been made on at least one thread that I am watching.

No, it is not among emails filtered out by my server.

Yes, my profile is set to receive them.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Thank you for fixing this, Vain. It started working again yesterday.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

There is another oddity I would like to mention. Recently I received a couple of emails from what appeared to be Watch members. When I opened them they contained an attachment with a virus. I have deleted both messages, but not before looking and realizing that they were bulk sendings.

Just thought I would send out a general heads up for everyone to be on the lookout for such emails. :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Strange. Members that might have your address in their address book?
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

I've been getting about three of these a day in my Yahoo account, most are from people I don't recognize, but some have been KW addy's....Colin (who's a techie) says that someone who has me on their contact list has a virus and doesn't know it....and that the virus is "spoofing"* their email addy in the from field. (*Translate to: sending out emails to everybody on a contact list without the knowledge or consent of the account holder.) The virus then "spoofs" the addy's of everyone it just sent copies of itself to.....sending itself to everyone on their contact list, and so on....so there's no way to tell where it originated. :x hackers!

That's not necessarily to say that someone here has a virus......just that someone knows someone who does. As long as you don't open the attachments you'll be fine.

Here's what I've seen in my inbox....

Attachments (infected files) are usually 30k-35k, it varies. Most are around 33k. They commonly have subject lines like:

Stolen!
Warning!
Hi
Hey
You're a winner!
Just wanted to let you know...
Is this you?

Among others....and it's usually a .rar file I think....

Of course, never open an attachment from an address you don't recognize. But if you get something from someone you do recognize, and it fits the size description, or matches one of these subject lines, it's probably something they never had any knowledge of, and I would recommend checking with them before you open it. :)
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

Hmmm...I found out I have a virus today (thanks to McAfee's online virus scan), but I'm still waiting for my dad to get me my updated virus software (curse not having a credit card of my own!)....as far as I know, I don't have any of you on my contact list, but just in case, if you do get an e-mail from me ("Iryssa" will be on the name line...I use that name for everything online), don't open any attachments...I'm sorry if one of these has been from me...though like I said, I don't have anyone here on my e-mail contact list, so hopefully that's enough to keep it from spreading to you guys...lemme know if it does, though (best way would prolly be just using the PMs here or my ICQ)
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I just recieved two messages from Yahoo! informing me that someone tried to send an attachment containing the virus W32.Beagle@mm I couldn't tell where they came from, but I guessed it's related to what people have been saying here. For the first time I'm thankful for the bother I took to switch my email from BTOpenworld to BTYahoo....
Strangely enough, the original messages were '[^_^ mew-mew (-:]' and '[^_^ meay-meay!]'...

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”