Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Worm of Despite
Lord

Best. Site. Ever.

Post by Worm of Despite »

Other than KW. ;)

My vote goes to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

It constantly surprises me with its wealth of information; a true font of knowledge--and versatile, too! Anyone can edit it (I even wrote the article for "While My Guitar Gently Weeps").

But anyway; it's amazing; highly informative. It keeps me from asking a lot of "what is" questions. ;)
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Agreed
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

This is what I don't get:

"Welcome to Wikipedia, the free-content encyclopedia that anyone can edit."

Anyone can edit?
How does that ensure the validity of the info given?
I get that it's "self correcting" in a way.
But I wouldn't want to rely on it for a paper, imo.
Or am I just being an old fart?
:?
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
safetyjedi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by safetyjedi »

Don't worry, at least you won't be an old fart alone. I have the same concerns although it is a cool site, I just wouldn't rely on any of the info there.
Join me and we can end this destructive conflict...
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

I'm inclined to agree with HLT. It's useful, but only to a point. Anything edited by everybody must be taken with a grain of salt.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

It's a given that one wouldn't use it on a college paper, but I must say that, of the information I've caroused, Wiki seems to be just as comprehensive/accurate/enlightening as the credible/peer-reviewed/academic sources. I'm sure there are discrepancies, but none that I've encountered (which doesn't say much, heh). Of course, you people who are still skeptical can just break out your dusty 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica. ;)
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I love Wikipedia for casual questions. The sheer accessibility and cross-referencing is what I like.

If I need "official" info, I go to www.bartleby.com.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I've browsed the wikipedia a few times before, but I never realised quite how easy it is to edit it. You could easily abuse the system and enter lies or derogatory comments, but that same system ensures that any such action will likely be edited straight out by somebody else.

The real test is to try and add some information that actually stays there. I've added to the trivia section on Stockport County FC's entry, hope my stuff passes muster!
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”