1%
something else (please specify)
37%

Total votes: 84

Nerdanel
Bloodguard

The Mahdoubt Poll

Post by Nerdanel »

The Mahdoubt thread has been going for 22 pages now without a widely accepted resolution. I think it could be interesting to see what the board consensus is.

Please vote for what you think the Mahdoubt is. If you aren't sure, give your best guess.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I went with "Embodiment of an abstract principle" just because it sounds so good :)
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Where's the "No fscking clue" option?
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I'm still holding on to the feeling that she may be Kassy's Lover.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

If I had put an "I don't know" option too many (honest) people would have been forced to choose it. The point of this poll is to give one's best guess.

My best guess is that she is a Demondim. I think it fits well with the evidence and provides interesting material for the story later on.
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

so you think SRD is lying about her then? :roll:
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

I don't think SRD is lying, but he himself has said he likes to be misleading when he says something spoilerish.

My theory is that the term "the Mahdoubt" actually refers to the body, not the Demondim controlling it. It might be the Demondim term for the host body. This allows the Demondim answer direct questions truthfully without exposing itself and allow its charm spell take care of any passing curiosity about the consistent use of third person.

SRD has used something a little like this before. When Covenant met the possessed Triock in The Power that Preserves, SRD never once used Triock in an active sentence. It was always something like "the man" or "Triock's <insert bodypart here>". I found the effect actually a little too obvious and saw through it the first time, but the Mahdoubt is more subtle.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

I voted 'Ordinary' as i think this would be most surprising and unexpected.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

QWarmark wrote:I voted 'Ordinary' as i think this would be most surprising and unexpected.
It would be hilarious, I think. There would be howls of protest from people here. :lol:

And I noticed you're QWarmark now. As in Quaan, perhaps? :)
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

you know, now that I think of it, it did seem odd that that would come up in an interview, ending up talking about a character that seemed so "insignificant" to the story. hmmmmm........For now I stay w/ordinary, but I will be "curious", so to speak, keep my eye on that one. (I've never paid much attention to interviews, etc, and never looked into all the "symbolism" and such. Characters just seem to suffice in themselves for me, I guess. New territory for sure for me. 8) )
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Matrixman wrote:
QWarmark wrote:I voted 'Ordinary' as i think this would be most surprising and unexpected.
It would be hilarious, I think. There would be howls of protest from people here. :lol:

And I noticed you're QWarmark now. As in Quaan, perhaps? :)
:lol: I now win the Watchies nominated by Queeaqueq - Best user beggining with a Q. ;)
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

I've voted "other" as I think there's something else here. Perhaps this should be on the 22 page thread, but I think that there are a couple of clues that are more pertinent than the dress or eyes or other physical signs.

To me at least, the recognition of the Mahdoubt by Mahrtiir as a person who he is suprised "serves" is a key point. Clearly Mahrtiir believes she has the potential to do some harm as evidenced by the fact that at first, he was alarmed until someone re-assured him that she "...serves Revelstone": this in turn suggests someone who has some measure of power.

She has also passed the scrutiny of the Haruchai/Masters. Now there may be a case to answer that they've not always recognised Ravers and the like until too late and they may have been misled in their duties becoming Masters and possibly corrupted in their purpose (or not). But notwithstanding, they do not impede her in her duties.

So she has been judged as not being malevolent, albeit not necessarily benign. Now when I ask myself what manner of person would fit those criteria, I think of someone in hiding; a refugee from a power struggle elsewhere perhaps. I also think of someone or something being hidden, a personification of an artifact (as opposed to an abstract principle) perhaps, maybe one of Kevin's Wards of Lore or a guide to it.

I did also consider an Elohim, there is no reason to assume that all Elohim are arrogant, rude and apathetic, but I don't see any motive for one of them being there, in disguise, unless as a refugee, (what happenned to the Elohim sent to act as a ward against Kastennessen?).

She's cryptic and so is SRD about her; Shadout Mapes....hmmmmmmm, not convinced. Names are important in SRD's writing and the 'doubt' part of her name is not just the negative worry, or concern, or lack of confidence; it can also be a part of words like 'redoubt', a strong place, part of a keep or castle.

One way or another I think there's a lot more here than we've yet seen and I think this may well be a rabbit in SRDs hat.
Half Hand
Woodhelvennin

Post by Half Hand »

Abstract idea as in physical manifestation of The Haruchi's intense loyalty,stubborn,unyielding devotion to all things that they commit to?Could the collective thoughts and passions of The Haruchi have sqeezed the entity known as the Mahdoubt out of thin air and into being?
Spring
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Spring »

There is a possibility that she is just some random, who is mental. I highly doubt that though. Too un-SRD like.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

i have no idea.

:(
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

finn sez
Now when I ask myself what manner of person would fit those criteria, I think of someone in hiding; a refugee from a power struggle elsewhere perhaps. I also think of someone or something being hidden, a personification of an artifact (as opposed to an abstract principle) perhaps, maybe one of Kevin's Wards of Lore or a guide to it.

and i tend to agree. i didn't join in the 22 pg thread because i have no guesses as to the Mahdoubt. finn has nailed my thoughts on the subject. i voted "something else" because tho i get the feeling she's going to be back and it'll be some kind of "aha" moment, i got no guesses at what!
am enjoying everyone's speculation, tho. :)
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Lucimay wrote:finn sez
Now when I ask myself what manner of person would fit those criteria, I think of someone in hiding; a refugee from a power struggle elsewhere perhaps. I also think of someone or something being hidden, a personification of an artifact (as opposed to an abstract principle) perhaps, maybe one of Kevin's Wards of Lore or a guide to it.
and i tend to agree. [...] finn has nailed my thoughts on the subject.
finn has also very nicely stated exactly why I think it is TC. I need say nothing more. :) (Was there any doubt who voted that way?)
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

Her patchwork face and clothes are too in-your-face. I think she's embodying some sort of abstract concept having to do with, um... quilting.
Misanthropes of the world, unite!
sherifffruitfly2
Servant of the Land

I say she's a Kevin's Ward.

Post by sherifffruitfly2 »

No claims to originality - no idea how many others have suggested it...
Kenaustin Ardenol
Stonedownor

Post by Kenaustin Ardenol »

Something else, because we just don't have enough information yet, sure their are clues but not enough yet to do anything but blindly guess, I'll wait for more clues before I post anything more descriptive than something else, at this point in time only SRD knows and maybe even he doesn't know the whole truth of the mahdoubt yet.
To travel forward in time one merely has to stand still. To travel backward in time one just has to remember.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”