Donaldson's unique vocabulary

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

ur-vile loremaster
Servant of the Land

Donaldson's unique vocabulary

Post by ur-vile loremaster »

Got Runes, and have spent the last 4 months preparing to read it by reading the previous 6 books. It's the 5th time I've been through them all in my life and each time I get so much new stuff from the experience. One thing that strikes me though -- SRD uses a certain set of words that are so 'operatic' (his term) that anyone else using them would look pretentious. Here's the list!

gelid
telic
malefic
argent
"he rasped"
roborant
carious

Just had to get that off my chest.

Also, who would win in a fight between a Sandgorgon and Darth Vader? We know Nom can take down whole cities. But then we all saw DV deflect a direct shot from Han Solo's laser pistol off the palm of his hand in Empire, didn't we?
Eat my vitriol!
KAY1
Giantfriend

Post by KAY1 »

I was thinking along those lines myself! lol.
just finished LFB again and was thinking about the vocabulary SRD uses. When I first read TCTC when I was a teenager I had to look up half the words!

I am still not quite sure what 'roynish' means! :oops:
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

There is a longish thread here in the forum discussing SRD's vocabulary - search for it, you'll find answers there.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Donaldson's unique vocabulary

Post by matrixman »

ur-vile loremaster wrote: Also, who would win in a fight between a Sandgorgon and Darth Vader? We know Nom can take down whole cities. But then we all saw DV deflect a direct shot from Han Solo's laser pistol off the palm of his hand in Empire, didn't we?
Okay, I'll take the bait. I'm a fan of Nom, but I'd have to say Vader would have the upper hand. He could toss Nom around with the power of the Force, just as Gibbon-Raver was able to toss Nom around because he had the full power of the Banefire behind him. Of course, if Nom can surprise Vader with a maneuver the way he surprised Gibbon... :wink:
ur-vile loremaster
Servant of the Land

Post by ur-vile loremaster »

I'm a fan of Nom, but I'd have to say Vader would have the upper hand. He could toss Nom around with the power of the Force, just as Gibbon-Raver was able to toss Nom around because he had the full power of the Banefire behind him. Of course, if Nom can surprise Vader with a maneuver the way he surprised Gibbon... :wink:[/quote]

Good thinking. Now, a three-way deathmatch with the Lord of the Sith, dear old Nom and the Alien Queen (with Spider-Man and the Silver Surfer waiting outside the ring as a tag team) would be worth seeing.

Memo to self: must grow up...
Eat my vitriol!
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

only if Spiderman has the Captain Universe power.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Spring
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Spring »

ur-vile loremaster wrote: argent
"he rasped"
I hear those two words quite often.
Stave
Stonedownor

Post by Stave »

roynish

\Royn"ish\, a. [F. rogneux, from rogne scab, mange, itch.] Mangy; scabby; hence, mean; paltry; troublesome. [Written also roinish.] [Obs.] ``The roynish clown.'' --Shak.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."~Mel Brooks
KAY1
Giantfriend

Post by KAY1 »

Thanks Stave! lololololol so the Urviles are 'mangy' and 'scabby' then.
Stave
Stonedownor

Post by Stave »

I guess so lol
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."~Mel Brooks

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”