Brokeback Mountain

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Brokeback Mountain

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Brokeback Mountain. Who saw it? What did you think?

I still feel sad, a day after seeing the movie. Had to go to a bar and get a drink after we were done watching it. I've never been one for romance movies, but this was so good... So depressing, but so good. The audience clapped at the end, which nobody ever does at movies anymore.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

I can't believe none of you have gone to see this. 8O Come on, I don't care if it's only out in 69 theaters. Go see it! If it wins movie of the year, y'all are gona be real sad that you missed it. ;)
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:I can't believe none of you have gone to see this. 8O Come on, I don't care if it's only out in 69 theaters. Go see it! If it wins movie of the year, y'all are gona be real sad that you missed it. ;)
*snicker*

Intentional Freudian slip? :twisted:
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

I might see this movie if you or someone else dragged me to see it, but otherwise I don't think I'd have any desire to just go see it by myself.

Of course, it may be that I'm just dreading to walk back into a movie theater after suffering through Syriana. Heh.-jay
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Encryptic wrote:
Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:I can't believe none of you have gone to see this. 8O Come on, I don't care if it's only out in 69 theaters. Go see it! If it wins movie of the year, y'all are gona be real sad that you missed it. ;)
*snicker*

Not on my part... and I assure you, I did see it before I posted. I just figured nobody would care to comment. ;)

As for seeing it again: It took me a week to finally get over seeing it the first time. I am not watching this movie again until it comes out on DVD. It's just too emotionally draining for me.

But at least now I know there's no good reason to see Syriana. :D

Renegade of Funk
Servant of the Land

Post by Renegade of Funk »

I really, really wanna see it! But I don't think it's out here yet...
"Dream that what is dreamed will be..."
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

I really wanted to go but *surprise!* it's not showing anywhere near me. :cry:

Pie and Cake
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:
Encryptic wrote:
*snicker*

Not on my part... and I assure you, I did see it before I posted. I just figured nobody would care to comment. ;)

As for seeing it again: It took me a week to finally get over seeing it the first time. I am not watching this movie again until it comes out on DVD. It's just too emotionally draining for me.

But at least now I know there's no good reason to see Syriana. :D
Just messing wit' ya. ;)

Seriously, sounds like a good movie from what I've heard on other forums. I'll probably wait for the DVD as well, though.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

One of my best friends called me last night and said "Don, you're not emotionally stable enough to watch this movie." So I'll be giving it a miss.
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

have half seen it on LOGO, but I fell asleep.... :oops:
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

ahhh... the old boy meets cowboy hollywood stereotype.

it was pretty good but lacked a certain punch if you ask me.
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

uuuuhhh....ride 'em cowboy? :P
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Tazzman wrote:ahhh... the old boy meets cowboy hollywood stereotype.

it was pretty good but lacked a certain punch if you ask me.
What, Jack's last scene wasn't punch enough for ya?

taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Brokeback Mountain

Post by taraswizard »

Lacks punch? What movie did you see?

One point of analysis, and I have not read the Annie Proulx short story it is based on (BTW, my beginning fiction instructor thought Ms Proulx the worstwriter in the world), was she writing to the following cliche TANGBTAIL (They are not gay, but they are in love).
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I keep hearing this one sound bite; "...tell me how to quit you" , or something like that. One thing I despise is a period movie where the dialogue is rife with modern cliches.....not saying this movies is, just saying I hate that sort of thing.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I have not seen the movie, but have recently read the short story, which was lent to me by a friend.

I thought the story was heartbreaking.

The two main characters are very much in love- and the kind of deep and passionate and lifelong love most of us will never be able to experience in our lives - but deny that love because they do not want to see themselves as being "queer".

This not only hurts them deeply over the years, but also hurts their wives and families a great deal. They do marry - God knows, they do want anyone to think that they are gay, so they do what so many gays have done over the years and marry and have families. And trying to live a lie so huge cannot but have a very strong affect not only on them, but also their families.

I do not know how the movie compares to the short story in terms of content or plot...but the story was heart wrenching.
Love as thou wilt.

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Heh, if I want to watch ruined marriages and gay lovers, all I have to do is go to a family reunion.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I finally saw it this morning. Very well done movie, and Heath Ledger put in the performance of a lifetime. Very sad, though nowhere nearly as sad as the short story (thank God - the short story made me cry like a baby, and that's one of the main reasons I put off seeing the movie so long).
Love as thou wilt.

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

duchess of malfi wrote:I finally saw it this morning. Very well done movie, and Heath Ledger put in the performance of a lifetime. Very sad, though nowhere nearly as sad as the short story (thank God - the short story made me cry like a baby, and that's one of the main reasons I put off seeing the movie so long).
Gosh, the short story must be horrible. Because the movie is one of the saddest I've seen. Jake Gylenhall's character is actually willing to live a gay life in the movie, it's Heath Ledger's character that is so afraid of it. And the ending is heartwrenching. We had a friend who wanted to watch it the day after we got it, so I watched it two days in a row, and thought for sure I wouldn't come out of a depression for a week. It'll be quite some time before I have the strength to watch it again. It's definitely up there with tearjerker classics such as Love is a Many Splendred Thing.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Reading the short story just about put me in a depression. Seriously. :(

spoilers in differences between the short story and film:
Spoiler
the guys actually got along better with their wives (especially in a sexual sense) and children in the film - the daughter's engagement in the end, and her wanting her dad at her wedding never happens in the story - not does she ever ask her dad if she can come live with him - those were sort of upbeat acceptance things that never happened in the story, which was unrelentingly sad
Love as thou wilt.

Return to “Flicks”