Lord Foul.....as a goodie

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

arwenavery
Woodhelvennin

Lord Foul.....as a goodie

Post by arwenavery »

a lot of people have been speculating that if the 3rd chrons ever happen that covenant may be evil ...would it be interesting if lord foul ...despeatly wanting to destroy covenant decides to join forces with the land and shock horror becomes a goodie...i know its far fetched ....but i was actually thinking about this yesterday .....what can he put in the third chrons????Image
danlo
Lord

Yeah if he got electroshock therapy

Post by danlo »

But I think TC gave him enuf of that 2 cure a million loonies. I think ur screnario is a possibility, but it would take a hell of alot of work. The Ravers would somehow have 2 catch him @ his most weakest point and employ some1 like Kayserin 2 imprison him in a subArch of Time. "But, I have the crystal ball!!!" hahahahaha! and then he would have 2 find some way 2 escape that would involve a bargain w/earthpower 2 regain even 1/2 of his abilities, and I see that as involving hundereds of years. The reason I mention class baddies like the Ravers and Kayserin is that something needs 2 step in and fill the void--or what would there b 2 fight against? Or maybe a botched summoning could bring some1 like Hannibal Lechter 2 the land, thus possesed by a Raver? Foul's bargain 2 escape would have 2 b VERY complex 2 like an exorcism involving Linden, The Elohim, Forrestals, Lords and the specter of TC! Of couse IMHO only the jheherrin have the power absolution and can lead him back 2 any semblance of sanity!
Last edited by danlo on Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Vexis Larseker

Covenant evil?

Post by Vexis Larseker »

Hmmm...that would be interesting. One way I could see of Covenant being evil would be if Lord Foul had the capability to summon him from the Dead and command him, as he did with Elena in the 1st Chronicles. Of course, the 3rd Chronicles would be pretty short if that happened, since I'mmassuming he could command Covenant to break the Arch of Time. Also, we haven't seen Lord Foul controlling the Dead since the First Chronicles, and he may not have the ability to do it now that the Illearth Stone is lost. Also, the breaking of the Law of Life may prevent it as well.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

acceptance

Post by amanibhavam »

Hail,

SRD said in an interview that the 3rd Chronicled will be about acceptance... what that means nobody knows...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

I donno...

Post by kevinswatch »

I would have a hard time reading a story about an "evil" Thomas Covenant and a "good" Lord Foul. It would be just too much of a bazzaro world. Plus, Covenant is too cool to be evil. And Foul is too cool to be good. They play their parts well.-jay
Quaan

TC as a baddie.

Post by Quaan »

It has been awhile since i read the second chronicles. i am rereading the first now.
One thing about TC being evil....I was never convinced he was evil or was starting to lean that way. The ring itself was immaterial. I think he finally realized what Mhoram had been telling him all along. Covenant IS the whitegold. Seperating him from the ring didnt change that.
Maybe I am way off. Thats my 2 cents at least :D

The Chronicles of Lord Foul the Goodie???

Post by Guest »

When I first saw this thread, i thought "Can't see it myself, somehow. When you're that far gone, there's almost no coming back".

After some consideration, though, I thought "why not?" After all, I never thought on reading "The Real Story" that Angus Thermopyle would end up being my favourite character. If SRD can pull that off, maybe he can make Covenant and Foul switch places, so that Covenant is the threat to the Land and Foul is the only one who can stop him, and still have an enthralling book?
Michael Giantfriend
Ramen

Post by Michael Giantfriend »

Once again, don't know why that logged me in as Anonymous...

... You ain't seen me, right?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...
Lumikant
Stonedownor

3rd chronicles

Post by Lumikant »

Somehow I don't even see TC returning for a third chronicles, at least not in the way we'd expect. He died in the "real world" and the only one with power to bring him back would be the creator. He also died in the land, and as he said in TWGW it was only because the Law of Death was broken that he could come back for long enough to destroy foul. Mayhaps the third chronicles would be about Linden, or perhaps Joan? I'd imagine we would at least see a glimmer of TC in the third series, but i really dont expect it to revolve around him.

-Lumikant
danlo
Lord

Oh dear god! PLEASE not Joan!!!!!

Post by danlo »

unless in our time she came 2 the Land old, haggard and crazy! sorta mysterious, volitile, nutcase witch. Bet she'd have great rapport w/the Ranyhyn, tho...
Lumikant
Stonedownor

3rd chron.

Post by Lumikant »

If they Raynhin were still alive and kicking. in the third chronicles there were not hornses, nevermind the mighty steeds from Ra. Its always been my thought that the coursers were warped raynhin.
danlo
Lord

Did the Chorns really say all the Raynhin were lost?

Post by danlo »

Didn't some escape 2 the south? I've always hoped there was someway they could rebreed and come back in the 3rd Chrons...I 2 have sorta thought that way about the Coursers but wouldn't that be a little TOO perverted?
Lumikant
Stonedownor

raynhin/coursers

Post by Lumikant »

Well, if a raver could master a lord, and foul could currupt the sky, then raynhin becoming coursers wouldnt be that odd. All of the land was perverted to the point where those who lived there were killing each other.. I dont think there is anything to perverted.
Lauralin
Stonedownor

re: raynhin/coursers

Post by Lauralin »

Kinda like Elves becoming Orcs? I sorta thaught that the Coursers were creaters made with Lore, like the Ur-Viles; maybe from horses.
arwenavery
Woodhelvennin

just to agree with Danlo

Post by arwenavery »

id love for teh ranhyn to return to the land in the third chrons, i loved the second chrons lots but did miss the original magic of the beautiful Land , before teh sunbane ,

and just a thought , it wouldnt be the third chronicles if it wasnt about TC , if it was about joan it would , in the order of things have to be called

THE FIRST CHRONICALS OF JOAN THE.... :?:

I dunno ??

if the third chronicals was about acceptance is there a chance that we as readers are going to be asked to accept that the land is where we come from , a beautiful place perverted by evil . Also we could be asked to accept that Lord foul is just as much a part of us as The creator , TC , or a LOrd......

hold on am i thinkin too much again .....sorry about that.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

all I hope is it won't be The First Chronicles of Roger the Badger...

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Ditto

Post by Skyweir »

I am sooo with you on that point .. Roger Dodger .. the Bodger?? please .. if this be true .. I cant see how I could go on ..

On a more serious note .. maybe TC has to accept that Foul is his very alter-ego?? That would be difficult .. not just the part of him that despairs but a very real side of his self .. I dont know .. just thought I'd throw it into the debate .. :wink:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
arwenavery
Woodhelvennin

i always thought

Post by arwenavery »

i always thought that , ever sincei started reading the chronicals , i always thought that they werein some way more a part of TC than he was of them

Lord foul is a very obvious representation of our own human faults !!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Yes

Post by Skyweir »

Foul may be his repressed self .. that part that one is more comfortable denying or distancing ones self from ..

I mean I am not sure that I really accept that entirely .. but just for the sake of exploration .. supposing Foul is TC's repressed self embodying his bitterness and resentment at being inflicted with leperosy/ hansens desease .. I mean there is a lot to be bitter about and TC wasnt really hiding it that well .. his anger was evident .. how it cost him his former life .. his family .. the respect of his community .. his isolated existence .. in all ways becoming the 'town freak' .. It really must have been a hell/ a reprehensible experience for him those years after it was first discovered he had contracted the disease.

I am wary of pursuing this arguement futher for fear of suggesting the Land is a creation of his sub-consciousness and not a reality .. because I dont accept that myself .. so maybe if it is .. acceptance will be something that I will have to come to grips with in the 3rd chronicles too. But having said that .. that is where this kind of concept inevitably leads ..

my two cents
Last edited by Skyweir on Mon Mar 18, 2002 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

LF might be a very obvious representation of Covenant's dark half; but that's just it: very obvious; I think SRD is just too smart to choose either side: reality or imagination; until the very end of the 2nd Chrons he managed to keep up some ambiguity as to the reality of the Land or - from the other point of view - the "inside explanation"

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”