3D laser images in thin air

Technology, computers, sciences, mysteries and phenomena of all kinds, etc., etc. all here at The Loresraat!!

Moderator: Vraith

I'm Murrin
Are you?

3D laser images in thin air

Post by I'm Murrin »

Japanese scientists have devised a way of using focused, high power lasers produce a 3d image in thin air. Each laser produces a single spot of light where it is focused if the right intensity is used; the spots only last for a milisecond, but by refreshing the dot rapidly, much like in a television set, the image appears constant. They are currently working on increasing the refresh rate to give a clearer image, and plan to eventually produce moving pictures. The only limit to this method is that it cannot produce colour, only white light.
Link

--------------------

I'm actually quite excited by this idea. I'd love to see this in real life, and in bigger and better forms. I'd be confident in predicting good quality moving images (perhaps as good as black-and-white tv) being possible within ten years, and I can't see the ad companies not taking the opportunities this presents. Yes, very bright ads floating in the air might not seem an entirely good thing, but I'd find the whole thing impressive enough I don't think I'd care.
Prom_STar
Bloodguard

Post by Prom_STar »

*Images of Blade Runner flash through head*

A new life waits for you in the off-world colonies....
Was auch immer komm, dieses weiß ich für sicher:
Ich bin zurückgekauft.

Wenn Diamanten reichlich war, würden sie keinen Wert haben. Echter Wert kommt nich aus schönheit--er kommt aus seltenheit.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

And the inevitable cessation of science fiction becoming science fact continues.

:D
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

very impressive. I can't wait to see where this goes. The display applications will be endless when the technology is fully developed. How cool would it be to have high def image displayed before you no matter where you might go in your house. Never miss a moment of the game, get your snacks, go to the can as a semi transparent but fully rendered image floats in front of you.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

It is hardly strong though, it's 3D, yeah, but doesn't have vertical different images. It doesn't have two separate pitures on top of one another. It'll be a hard task to do that, and one projected image would get in the way of the other... So far, this technology is very limited; it'll be years before it's used often, decades before it is used in homes.

Still, impressive nonetheless.

Return to “The Loresraat”