MATT DAMON AS CAPTAIN KIRK?

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

aTOMiC
Lord

MATT DAMON AS CAPTAIN KIRK?

Post by aTOMiC »

www2.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_ ... j_id=51557

Matt Damon? Kirk? There was a time when I would have said the same thing I said about Ben Afleck but Damon? After the Bourne Identity my impression of him has sky rocketed. He does the man of action thing with an unassuming confidence that is appealing. Kirk? Hmmmm.... This might work.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

No, Please God - No.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

My initial reaction was, "Hell no!". Then I thought about it. He's got the look, the sense of humor, and he can do action. I think he'd do better than OK at it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Shoot me.

I want an unknown. I want all unknowns, because it'll be easier to believe that they are who they pretend to be.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:Shoot me.

I want an unknown. I want all unknowns, because it'll be easier to believe that they are who they pretend to be.
Well yeah, that would be the ideal.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Being a fan of J.J. Abrams LOST and recognizing his talent as a director I have a built in trust in his decisions and vision. An unknown actor probably would make the most sense initially since we will all have such a hard time thinking of Kirk being portrayed by anyone but Shatner. If a known actor has to be chosen I think you could do worse than Matt Damon.

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

I thought this was supposed to be (at least partly) a Starfleet Academy story... Matt Damon looks about as old as Shatner did when Star Trek first came out. I'm not seeing how that's supposed to work...

Actually, I'm getting confused by the whole thing. I thought the first time Kirk and Spock met was when Kirk took over the Enterprise?
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:I thought this was supposed to be (at least partly) a Starfleet Academy story... Matt Damon looks about as old as Shatner did when Star Trek first came out. I'm not seeing how that's supposed to work...

Actually, I'm getting confused by the whole thing. I thought the first time Kirk and Spock met was when Kirk took over the Enterprise?
There is probably some confusion about what exactly the new film is supposed to be about. I think pre production rumors probably help to blur what is really going on (which by the way I have no real idea) First of all I am very much against anything to do with Star Fleet Academy. Spending any time with Star Trek characters in a "before they were interesting" scenario is a snoozer to me and manages to take all of the Star and Trek out of the story. I suppose if we spend a few minutes at SFA in a quick scene where someone is mashed in a transporter accident that forms the basis of some long held psychosis of one of our characters then maybe I could be persuaded to allow it. :-) Though I am willing to accept being wrong about this, I believe there is some wiggle room in the Kirk – Spock meeting event. It was clearly stated that Kirk met Captain Pike when he took over command of the Enterprise from him but that does not preclude Kirk and Spock having met at some point prior. In the few years before Kirk became captain of the Enterprise he managed to romance or meet just about every man and woman in the galaxy so running into Spock at some point really doesn’t seem all that strange to me.
As to real hard facts about the storyline of the new film I have to assume Abrams is making choices based on his knowledge of the full story and that Damon makes some kind of sense there.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

But you know what fans are like these days - they treat inconsistencies in the timeline as though 'who cares, it's reinvention'. It's happening with Doctor Who, and it annoys me greatly.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

but... can, Damon... talk like... this?!?!
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

*reads topic, jumps headfirst into a woodchipper*
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Lord Foul wrote:*reads topic, jumps headfirst into a woodchipper*
:haha:
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Move over Lord Foul, I'm coming in right after you. I saw a tidbit on one of the entertainment shows about this a few weeks ago. I researched online until my surfing fingers bled. Last word is the movie is a no-go. But Damon? Uh uh. I'd NOT go see that. Unknowns. Yes. Like TNG. I didn't expect anything because I knew none of them. It was an entirely different Star Trek, and I loved it for that. Newbies will make everyone wonder enough to go see it. Rumor was Affleck for Spock. That was MY wood chipper moment...........
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Rocksister wrote:Move over Lord Foul, I'm coming in right after you. I saw a tidbit on one of the entertainment shows about this a few weeks ago. I researched online until my surfing fingers bled. Last word is the movie is a no-go. But Damon? Uh uh. I'd NOT go see that. Unknowns. Yes. Like TNG. I didn't expect anything because I knew none of them. It was an entirely different Star Trek, and I loved it for that. Newbies will make everyone wonder enough to go see it. Rumor was Affleck for Spock. That was MY wood chipper moment...........
The last news I read on the subject (which was only a couple of weeks ago) was that J.J. Abrams had met with William Shatner to get his thoughts and input. At that time it didn't seem much like the film was a no go but I could be wrong. Anything can happen overnight when it comes to Hollywood. I'll keep my eyes open for any breaking news.

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Only if we can get Al Gore as Mr. Spock.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Gore couldn't handle Spock's emotional range.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:haha: I say Mark Harmond for Spock! (but he'd probably go around whacking everybody in the head with his tricorder when they didn't get the point... :P )
fall far and well Pilots!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cail wrote:Gore couldn't handle Spock's emotional range.

:goodpost:
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Cail wrote:Gore couldn't handle Spock's emotional range.

:goodpost:
:haha: :haha: :haha:

I do think Matt would do very well - Bourne experience has made me think better of him as well. What about Ben Affleck as Spock!!!!!!!??
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

ben afflack as yeoman rand then.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”