Uss and lorin's most excellent adventure - Part 2

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Uss and lorin's most excellent adventure - Part 2

Post by lorin »

So the trip continues.

I think this is Rome. An interesting city. Really spread out. The drivers are rougher than New York and I got a little overwhelmed. The ruins were really interesting. We did not go to the Vatican because the tourist swarm was huge. There was plenty to see without the Vatican.

A news team stopped "the man on the street" to interview him about if he felt safe in Rome. I slipped away and took these pictures for posterity.

I think these are out of order. This is Mykonos. It was really lovely. It gave me a real desire to visit the Greek Isles again. And since it was an island there were no huge swarms on tour buses filled with aggressive people with umbrellas and white gloves. So it was much more relaxing.

Onward to Turkey. But I will need help here. A fascinating city but I'm not sure which of the two in Turkey this is. :oops: Maybe Istanbul??? There was a Mosque there that really grabbed me. it had been taken over / conquered a few times so there were parts that were Christian and parts that were Muslim and also the Vikings had their hands in it.

There was a Mosque (Blue Mosque?) we couldn't go into because I was not dressed properly. But here are some more kinda cool pics of Turkey.

This is a BOAT

Here's the thing. I just could not haggle. I found the Grand Bazaar overwhelming. I had pictures in my head of leaving with tons of cool stuff but I just could not bargain. Uss can, I sucked at it. And the men are so aggressive.I left empty handed. But enjoyed the experience.

Good bye to Istanbul (lousy pic)

End of part 2
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Yep, Rome first: the Forum, the Colloseum (no pics for some reason) and a place called Terme de Caracalla
(which I'd never heard of, old baths seemingly).

Mykonos came after we visited Naples (pics later maybe), and was lovely with all the white buildings
and windmills.

Then Istanbul, where we visited Hagia Sofia and saw the runes left by those very respectful people,
the Vikings (ha! Softy!). The Blue Mosque was closed for prayer, so we didn't get in (next time!).

Haggling is fun, and if you don't do it the locals have no respect for you while they rip you off.
If you do haggle, they'll at least respect you while they rip you off for that little bit less :lol: (By the time
we got to Kusadasi, lorin had her haggling shoes on, and got some really good deals from the jeweller
that she dealt with. She took the clothes off his back and left him with seven starving children! :lol: )

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Yep, Rome first: the Forum, the Colloseum (no pics for some reason) and a place called Terme de Caracalla
(which I'd never heard of, old baths seemingly).
too busy dodging cars. And maybe if you helped taking some of the pics............ :P

You have pics of Naples. I stayed close to the boat. I had the beginning of toe nail problems. Yep........lost my toe nails. You went to Pompey by yourself.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Think my wanderlust just double-flipped and 'gasmed. Some parts of Italy (Pompeii, Herculaneum...) are on my list for next winter-ish anyhow, so must add that forum to my itinerary. Did you visit Croatia at all though?
ussusimiel wrote: Then Istanbul, where we visited Hagia Sofia and saw the runes left by those very respectful people, the Vikings (ha! Softy!).
Well, upon the utterance of that forbidden name, I vow and solemnly swear by my sword that I shall hunt down some Irish gourds come next Kekri/Samhain, and carve runes upon them to glorify Óðinn.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Looks like quite an adventure. I like all the ruins and history and such.
lorin wrote:This is a BOAT
That is quite fabulous. And if it had a longer name, they might need a bigger boat.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Sorus wrote:Looks like quite an adventure. I like all the ruins and history and such.
lorin wrote:This is a BOAT
That is quite fabulous. And if it had a longer name, they might need a bigger boat.
We are just starting........it was quite an adventure. And that we got along for almost 5 weeks speaks loads for Irish Mike's ability to tolerate a Lawn Guyland Princess.

I just noticed the netting between the two spheres. Wonder what that is?
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I look forward to seeing more.
lorin wrote:
I just noticed the netting between the two spheres. Wonder what that is?
Arachnids of unusual size? 8O

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

lorin wrote:...too busy dodging cars.
Traffic in Rome is infamous. :lol:

--A
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Very cool! Thanks for these!!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

love the marine blue of the trim of the buildings in (I think) Greece.

And... Turkey?!? Of course, part of that counts as Europe, but... Turkey is fascinating. I found myself getting more excited when you were talking about it.
The one that had been taken over / conquered multiple times... and how that showed up in the art.. so wild.
Frostheart wrote:Well, upon the utterance of that forbidden name...
Haha...
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Wonderful trip and pics. I'm jealous!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”