The Augur's Gambit / The King's Justice

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Better late than never, I always say:

Here's the video of SRD reading from "The Augur's Gambit" at lthe World Fantasy Convention last November. Batty recorded it with her phone so the audio probably sucks. Good luck....

https://youtu.be/SUomZGK5Tek

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Thanks ali! ;)

-jay
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

You're welcome, Jay. (Yes, you finally nagged me enough. :lol: )

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

This was posted today. UK readers should take note.
StephenRDonaldson.com News wrote:I've just learned that while my back was turned (and my agent's as well), Gollancz significantly changed their plans to publish these two novellas. They *now* say that they intend to produce an E-BOOK ONLY omnibus later this year (November?), and then release the two stories separately in "low-cost" hardcovers perhaps six months afterward. This is NOT what I thought I was agreeing to when I signed the contract--which vexes me, of course. But what *really* vexes me is that I've been put in the position of supplying misinformation to interested UK readers. After all, Gollancz may have good reasons for changing strategies. But there is no excuse for not keeping me--and us--informed of the changes.

Please accept my regret--for whatever it's worth.

10/7/15
(Man cannot catch a break.)
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Just got notice that my copy of The King's Justice has been shipped. I should have it by Friday which will be great! If it was going to take longer I was considering buying the Kindle version (which was only going to cost me $1.11, probably because I have already purchased a hard copy).

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Tomorrow!
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Albeit unearthing an affordable webshop to satisfy my SRD cravings, have to wait till next month thanks to a tight budget. :/ Journeying to Middle-Earth on the back of a colossal eagle proved not free; the bloody fowl devoured an entire cow for breakfast, not to mention elevensies, lunch, and other hours of hunger! :P Pay heed to the tiny print on the contract if you rent one of these; sustenance costs not covered.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Got it on my Nook! Will start reading tonight.

-jay
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

kevinswatch wrote:Got it on my Nook! Will start reading tonight.
Pitching meatballs here, jay.

- - - - - - - - - -

No one has posted a review on Amazon yet?!?!?!

Yeesh.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

My local bookstore hadn't received their shipment yet when I stopped in after work, so it'll have to wait 'til tomorrow. They'll be holding a copy for me, at least.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Hello peoples. :) I've set up two discussion threads for both short stories (they're stickied) so discuss away there. :)
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Heya Seareach! :wave:

Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Hey Sorus! :wave: Happy launch day! :)

:bwave: :beer: :letsparty:

I haven't got a copy yet either. Ended up it was cheaper for me to buy it from the US than Oz (even though the exchange rate is crap). With postage I could get it from the US for $35 AUD. Buying it here was going to cost me $49 AUD!
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I could get it on my Kindle and have it NOW and it'd be about half the cost of the physical book, but stuff like that is part of why my local bookstore almost had to close earlier this year, so I'm trying to support them when I can. I will even forgive them for not having it on time since I wouldn't have had much time to read it tonight anyway.

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Tell us if they're good. :D I'll get mine at some point...not sure when it'll be released here. We're usually some weeks behind the UK release schedule, but not always.

--A
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I enjoyed them. I posted my review on the Kindle version at Amazon...only problems I had, and they are entirely me, are:

The King's Justice is in present tense, and I found it noticeable...distracted me from my usual reading mechanics. All on me though, I think the story demanded this.

I would have liked to have seen more of each world, but that's always the case with SRD.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Post by kevinswatch »

Seareach wrote:Hello peoples. :) I've set up two discussion threads for both short stories (they're stickied) so discuss away there. :)
I was just going to request that. Thanks Sea!

-jay
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

More UK/Gollancz news. More on the wonderfulness of publishers.
StephenRDonaldson.com News wrote:THE KING'S JUSTICE and THE AUGUR'S GAMBIT (UK): oops!--follow-up

Since my previous post on the same subject, the situation has changed yet again. We now know that the Orion/Gollancz plan to release TKJ and TAG in an e-book only omnibus this year, with physical books to follow next year, IS a violation of my contract. So Orion/Gollancz now plans to published those two novellas in both e-book and physical formats sometime in the first half of 2016. This is unfortunate, of course, but it beats the alternative. When a big publisher launches a book as an e-book only, that usually indicates a serious lack of confidence in the book--and sometimes a hope that the cost of physical publication can be avoided entirely. Under the circumstances, the fact that Orion/Gollancz has decided to abide by the terms of the contract is good news.

Incidentally, some readers have seen announcements on the Orion/Gollancz web site and elsewhere that TKJ and TAG have been rescheduled for December 2020! This is bogus. Charitably considered, this announcement is a "placeholder": it indicates that the intention to publish is still active, but that a real schedule has not yet been determined.

10/13/15
(Man possibly caught a break.)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Reviewed on Geeks of Doom:
Geeks of Doom wrote:Both of these novellas are spectacular examples of Stephen R. Donaldson’s work. He captures his reader within the first few pages, creating a bond that continues on…even after the story ends. [...] In the end, you’ll put this book down with hesitation, feeling like there is much left unsaid, undone even. But you’ll see the passion, you’ll feel the love, that Donaldson shows us through his writing. Descriptive, but not obsessively so, the reader bears witness to finely crafted plots and beautifully developed worlds. You’ll receive no finer recommendation from me this year than this: Donaldson’s stories are must-reads. If you have yet to read anything from him, I think you’ll find no finer starting point than this book, The King’s Justice.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

new novellas

Post by Usivius »

Firstly, hello again.
Next, the cover. I wasn't a fan of his work on the recent SRD series, but, must say that this cover work captures the first story well.
I enjoyed both stories very much, but found as I was reading both that I had read them before. KINGS JUSTICE is similar to UNWORTHY OF AN ANGEL and I felt AUGERS GAMBIT reminiscent of (dang, title escaping me... the one about the young prince who dreamed and was not understood and became a horrible tyrant).
Having said that, I found both stories compelling and SRD's writing is top notch. I read it in two days.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”