Star Wars Ring Theory

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Star Wars Ring Theory

Post by Wosbald »

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Nope, they're shite.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

That is an impressive thesis, fairly well exposited. While I don't reject it outright as a semi-scholarly analysis, I do not buy that Lucas really thought this out; this is meaning and pattern superimposed after the fact.

Thanks for the interesting read.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I don't hate the prequels (most parts of them) as much as many people seem to. Sure, there are parts that are awful, but it's still Star Wars. Agree that I don't see Lucas having planned all that beforehand though. :D

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Episodes 1 - 3 failed--perhaps "fail" is too strong a word since I thought 2 and 3 weren't that bad, maybe the phrase should be "didn't fulfill their potential"--because Lucas was trying to make them too kid-friendly and/or watered down. Consider The Emperor--in Return of the Jedi here is a character whose physical presence itself drips evil off the screen even without him having to say anything; when he walks into the room you instinctively bow your head out of fear because you just know that he'll kill you for breathing too loudly. In Revenge of the Sith he's a loud four-color Golden Age supervillain--"muahahahahahahah now you will suffer before the power of my evil death-ray-inator!". Even the low-class dive in Attack of the Clones is "clean" despite the fact that you can buy death sticks there. Of course, that may be because on Coruscant everything is kept clean--there is no trash on the streets in the city that spans the entire surface of the planet? Really? Wow. Well, except for the industrial belches going on in whatever section of the city Sidious' home way from home was.

No, I don't think Lucas planned all that beforehand. He really was just trying to recycle ideas in an attempt to recapture his success in earlier decades. In the final analysis, Lucas selling the franchise to Disney was probably the best thing that could have happened to Star Wars.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Rabs
Servant of the Land

Post by Rabs »

Don't know and don't care. I'm a Saga fan through and through. It is a perfect blending of my two favorite genres and I never tire of it. Glad more are being made and I can't wait for the 21st which is when I'm going to see it. GL, JJ, ring theory, Disney - none of it matters. Star Wars is bigger than any one person or theory. Even the few things I don't care for can't bring me down. :luke:
“Do not hurt where holding is enough;
Do not wound where hurting is enough;
Do not maim where wounding is enough;
and kill not where maiming is enough;
The greatest warrior is he who does not need to kill”
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Even the low-class dive in Attack of the Clones is "clean" despite the fact that you can buy death sticks there. Of course, that may be because on Coruscant everything is kept clean--there is no trash on the streets in the city that spans the entire surface of the planet? Really? Wow.
Did you know there are (Bladerunner) Spinners flying around on Coruscant ? They're difficult to spot in so much traffic, but George Lucas says they are there.
The Senate and the Jedi Temple etc, would be in a more affluent part of the planet. With super high-tech street cleaning systems, I guess. (Remember the glazier drones repairing Padmés window - superautomatix).
It stands to reason that somewhere deep in the suburbs would be the run-down neighborhoods needing Nexus policemen and Spinners.
Rabs
Servant of the Land

Post by Rabs »

You don't get to the grungy parts of Coruscant until you've gone hundreds of stories down, though I don't remember exactly how many, and then beyond that you get to the undercity where the criminals rule. And then below that are places that are forgotten where nightmarish creatures dwell. In AotC they never go down that far. The club they go into isn't really all that seedy. It's a typical club where people use drugs for recreation. No different than snorting a line of coke in a disco bathroom.
“Do not hurt where holding is enough;
Do not wound where hurting is enough;
Do not maim where wounding is enough;
and kill not where maiming is enough;
The greatest warrior is he who does not need to kill”
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Episodes 1 - 3 failed--perhaps "fail" is too strong a word since I thought 2 and 3 weren't that bad, maybe the phrase should be "didn't fulfill their potential"--because Lucas was trying to make them too kid-friendly and/or watered down. ... the final analysis, Lucas selling the franchise to Disney was probably the best thing that could have happened to Star Wars.
We might find that the Prequel Trilogy ends up feeling more "Disney" than anything that comes after that sale. All the people who got a bad feeling about this (heh) Disney deal initially have already had those specific fears fulfilled in the sanitized, kid-friendly crap Lucas gave us.

With that said, I don't think an advanced society would be dirty, especially its wealthy galactic capital planet. We already have robots ourselves that can vacuum our floors. Street sweepers constantly patrolling would be no big deal. The places in the original trilogy that looked dirty were farms, desert cities, and the ships of a struggling Alliance.

Richer is cleaner; we see that in our own countries.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Rabs wrote:You don't get to the grungy parts of Coruscant until you've gone hundreds of stories down, though I don't remember exactly how many, and then beyond that you get to the undercity where the criminals rule. And then below that are places that are forgotten where nightmarish creatures dwell. In AotC they never go down that far. The club they go into isn't really all that seedy. It's a typical club where people use drugs for recreation. No different than snorting a line of coke in a disco bathroom.
Babylon 5 did this, as well. Up top you had the bridge and Open Air (the restaurant), then the diplomatic level, then officers, then general quarters and routine traffic (Zocolo, merchants, travelers, etc), then Down Below (where you don't want to go unless you have no choice). The upper levels were clean and well lit; Down Below was dark, dirty, and cramped.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

The prequel novelizations are excellent. RotS in particular. (As opposed to the movie, which, having read the book, is unwatchable.) They are more than worthy of being a part of the mythos. Yeah, I know, Star Wars is a movie thing. True enough. But, since the movies are not adequate (I was with Av for the first two, but I hate the third passionately), it's great to have the books to carry on the legacy.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
SantaKlavis
Stonedownor

Post by SantaKlavis »

I like this style of things as George Lucas made the prequels in that ways when they looks at the end like puzzles that can be put together in the general picture and it contributes additional meaning to all parts.
Did you know that the plot unfolds in such a way that Clone Attack starts just in the place where The Empire Strikes Back ends and at the same time at the place where Empire begins it ends?))

It`s an interesting fact) I like it so much..Also, I like the Star Trek and I must admit that I`m a great fan of Star Wars and Star Trek. Once, one of my friend even developed a game special for me. I can not find the original link as deleted my account from Facebook, but here is the description of the story about Star Trek game:
www.slotozilla.com/free-slots/star-trek

Generally, I`ll never forget this film.. and the surprise from my friend))

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”