Tom Bombadil?

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Isn't there a book about Tom?
Has anybody read it?
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

Isn't there a book about Tom?
Has anybody read it?
Tom is featured in 2 of 16 poems written by Tolkien in a novel entitled The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.

An excerpt here explains more, of the origins of Tom:

"Tom Bombadil was a well-known figure in the Tolkien family, for the character was based on a Dutch doll that belonged to Michael. The doll looked very splendid with the feather in its hat, but John did not like it and one day stuffed it down the lavatory. Tom was rescued, and survived to become the hero of a poem by the children's father, 'The Adventures of Tom Bombadil', which was published in the Oxford Magazine in 1934." - The Storyteller: JRR Tolkien a biography
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

Ainulindale wrote:It never ceases to amaze the popularity of trying to determine who or what Tom is:) Although Tolkien never outrightly said he is not a Maia, their is evidence to suggest he is not, however, instead of going into that evidence, it is better just to note this:

" "Many readers have , for instance, rather stuck at The Council of Elrond. And even in a mythical Age there must be some enigmas, as there always are. Tom Bombadil is one (intentionally)." The Letters of JRR Tolkien #144 - JRR Tolkien

He is simply an intentional enigma.
Of all the characters in LOTR, I'd rank Tom Bombadil as one of my favorite simply because he is enigmatic. I enjoy a good diversion in a book and TB is certainly that. He is not essential to the story. He answers to no one. He is a mystery. When I first read the series, I was wondering when his character would reappear. I wasn't dissapointed, but I was puzzled. I wondered why he was introduced in the first place and after reading the series again many years ago, came to the conclusion that he was nothing more than a fancy of Tolkien's.
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Well, I've certainly never put any of the thought into it that you guys have. :)

As I've said elsewhere, I don't tend to read fiction so critically. I'd always been pretty much of the opinion of Tulizar there, and if I thought of it at all, I usually just considered him some "comic relief" if you now what I mean. Tolkeins version of C3-PO if you will, especially in light of his very brief appearance.

Having read the thread though, I'm willing to change my mind. :)

(Damn, wish I'd never lost my Unfinished Tales.)

Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

(Damn, wish I'd never lost my Unfinished Tales.)

I haven't thought about Tom Bombadil in while, but after reading this thread I decided to tear apart my house in search of my Unfinished Tales. I haven't found it yet, but I'm sure it'll show up sooner or later. Can't wait to find it!!

Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Unfortunately, mine is gone forever. Another episode in the "Lent and Lost" saga. ;) *sigh*

--A
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Tom Bombadil

Post by SkurjMaster »

I always considered Bombadil a favorite character about whom I would have like to have known more. From his own description of himself, I took him to be a creature who arose like the 'Shepherds of the Trees' from the Silmarillion; an ancient creature who kept apart by choice and was therefore unaffected by the Ring. I think 'Elemental' is likely the most apt description of him.

Another question would be "Was he the only such Elemental?"
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

I like Bombadil's cousin from another book.. "Bored of the Ring"
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Tom Bombadil is a Maia. He probably used to work for the Vala Yavanna. I believe, but just can't prove it.

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien Forum”