Bakker's The Prince of Nothing series

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Welcome to the forum "Madness". Always nice to have new blood.

Regards,

Brinn aka Nil Sertrax
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome to the Watch Madness. :D Join in wherever you like, plenty to discuss here. (There might even be a couple of other Bakker threads floating about.)
Madness wrote:In different ways, it strikes me that those that read along have to deal with some discomfort in that we are almost only reading sections of a larger book at a time.
Yes, this is something we've talked about before in relation to other books too. The difference in experience between reading each book of a series as it comes out (and probably rereading the previous books multiple times), and waiting for the entire series.

I think those who read along have a better experience myself. Or at least, a deeper one. :D

--A
Madness
Woodhelvennin

Post by Madness »

Brinn wrote:Welcome to the forum "Madness". Always nice to have new blood.

Regards,

Brinn aka Nil Sertrax
Lol. Thank you :).
Avatar wrote:Welcome to the Watch Madness. :D Join in wherever you like, plenty to discuss here. (There might even be a couple of other Bakker threads floating about.)
Thanks, Avatar :).
Madness wrote:In different ways, it strikes me that those that read along have to deal with some discomfort in that we are almost only reading sections of a larger book at a time.
Yes, this is something we've talked about before in relation to other books too. The difference in experience between reading each book of a series as it comes out (and probably rereading the previous books multiple times), and waiting for the entire series.

I think those who read along have a better experience myself. Or at least, a deeper one. :D

--A
Certainly, the rereading makes an interesting difference :).

I can't imagine what it will be like for future fans who come to the completed series entire :o?!
Strength on the Journey - Journey Well

Post by Avatar »

Well, we've seen it with King's Dark Tower series. I read it over the many years it took him to get it done, whereas my GF only read it once they were all out, and she could do it in one sitting, as it were.

I loved the series a lot more than she did, because I'd formed an attachment to it and the characters (like I've done with Bakkers) (well, TDTCB mostly) that she didn't have.

One the one hand, I sympathise with her preference for waiting for it all to be finished (damn GRRM :lol: ) but on the other...there is something to be said for reading along, waiting for each new book, re-reading them all as each one approaches...

Ah, books. :D

--A
Madness
Woodhelvennin

Post by Madness »

Avatar wrote:Well, we've seen it with King's Dark Tower series. I read it over the many years it took him to get it done, whereas my GF only read it once they were all out, and she could do it in one sitting, as it were.

I loved the series a lot more than she did, because I'd formed an attachment to it and the characters (like I've done with Bakkers) (well, TDTCB mostly) that she didn't have.

One the one hand, I sympathise with her preference for waiting for it all to be finished (damn GRRM :lol: ) but on the other...there is something to be said for reading along, waiting for each new book, re-reading them all as each one approaches...

Ah, books. :D

--A
Indeed, Avatar :). Books.

And hey, release was yesterday!
Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

Madness wrote:

Indeed, Avatar :). Books.

Speaking of which, I had preordered several weeks ago at Amazon.de. Yesterday the dispatch information changed from its release date to, ships between 2 and 4 weeks. What?!

I cancelled my order and placed an order at Bookdepository instead. Still waiting for the shipping confirmation, though.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

it's worth the wait. Hope you enjoy it!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill

Post by Avatar »

I'm still gonna have to wait a while longer...only available in hardcover here (7-11 days to ship) but all my others are paperbacks, and I hate having 1 different one. I can wait. I think. :D

--A
Madness
Woodhelvennin

Post by Madness »

Hiro wrote:
Madness wrote: Indeed, Avatar :). Books.

Speaking of which, I had preordered several weeks ago at Amazon.de. Yesterday the dispatch information changed from its release date to, ships between 2 and 4 weeks. What?!

I cancelled my order and placed an order at Bookdepository instead. Still waiting for the shipping confirmation, though.
Did you receive the Unholy Artifact, Hiro?
Brinn wrote:it's worth the wait. Hope you enjoy it!
:)
Avatar wrote:I'm still gonna have to wait a while longer...only available in hardcover here (7-11 days to ship) but all my others are paperbacks, and I hate having 1 different one. I can wait. I think. :D

--A
Orbit UK has a paperback coming out Sep 29 and one redditor at r/bakker suggested that Overlook will also put out a paperback around the time - possibly - that The Unholy Consult is rumoured to come out next year.

I wish you a matching cover, Avatar. As a Canadian, we've had to give up entirely on a complete set for TAE until such mythical time as there is a rerelease of the series entire...
Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

Madness wrote:
Hiro wrote:
Madness wrote: Indeed, Avatar :). Books.

Did you receive the Unholy Artifact, Hiro?
Not yet. I guesstimate that it will arrive Tuesday at the earliest or, of course, afterwards. A bit anxious, seeing all the Great Ordeal spoiler topics at Second Apocalypse. A training in self-restraint, I do not wish to spoil the upcoming experience, eh slog.

Post by Avatar »

Madness wrote:I wish you a matching cover, Avatar. As a Canadian, we've had to give up entirely on a complete set for TAE until such mythical time as there is a rerelease of the series entire...
Haha, thanks. :D Hate it when that happens. And I do have some series like that...the Last Chrons is an example...Fatal Revenant in hardback, (thanks Luci :) ) and all the others are trade paperbacks. It's not the end of the world...but it niggles. :D

--A
Madness
Woodhelvennin

Post by Madness »

Hiro wrote:
Madness wrote:
Hiro wrote: Lol - indeed. Well, I hope you join us in discussion when you're finished :).
It niggles for real :P.

Penguin Canada's trade paperbacks of TJE and WLW had the two sides of the Tusk and the Circumfix respectively. I was really looking forward to what other religious iconography TGO/TUC was going to have - suppose we'll never find out now :(.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

I've started it and it is way darker than I care to read at this point. I've put it down and I'm reading The Brother's Karamazov again.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant

Post by Avatar »

Well, that certainly bodes...hell, I thought the other 2 were dark, especially TJE. I shall gird myself in anticipation.

(And I'm reading Erikson's Forge of Darkness now, whichis pretty dark itself. :lol: )

--A
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

How far did you get SerScot?
Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

Brinn wrote:How far did you get SerScot?
...no spoilers please... :)
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

I'm up to the third Moemen chapter. I'd just finished the first Achemeian Chapter. I'll finish it eventually.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Madness
Woodhelvennin

Post by Madness »

SerScot wrote:I've started it and it is way darker than I care to read at this point. I've put it down and I'm reading The Brother's Karamazov again.
Lol. I hope you find a more palatable head-space, SerScot.
Avatar wrote:Well, that certainly bodes...hell, I thought the other 2 were dark, especially TJE. I shall gird myself in anticipation.

(And I'm reading Erikson's Forge of Darkness now, whichis pretty dark itself. :lol: )

--A
I happen to think TGO is the darkest book he's written aside from Neuropath ;).
SerScot wrote:
I'm up to the third Moemen chapter. I'd just finished the first Achemeian Chapter. I'll finish it eventually.
While dark, you really owe it to yourself to make it through. There are quite a few pay-offs in terms of awe moments that Bakker seems to have a special knack for writing.

Post by Avatar »

Madness wrote: I happen to think TGO is the darkest book he's written aside from Neuropath ;).
I shall look forward to it...with perhaps a little trepidation. :lol:

--A
Madness
Woodhelvennin

Post by Madness »

SerScot, Hiro, Avatar, are any of you any closer to completing this leg of the slog?

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”