Applying for a new job.

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Applying for a new job.

Post by peter »

I hate changing jobs - haven't done it for ten years - but the time has come to move on from my current position and try to improve my lot somewhere else. In pursuit of this I've applied for a post as a sales assistant in a local furniture retailers, and am awaiting a response to my submitted application form.

I won't pretend I'm not nervous as a kitten about it and suffering continual bouts of self-doubt about my ability to a) learn a new job, b) fit in with a new group of people and c) cope physically with the demands of humping furniture about. Will I even attend the interview if I'm given one? I'm quite good as a rule at projecting self-confidence, but of course it's all a sham, the reality being that for the most part I'm in a state of blue-funk in these types of situation. Any advice or words of encouragement at this point from you guys would be a shot in the arm that would be greatly appreciated! :)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

You've changed jobs more recently than I have, peter, so all I can say to you is good luck! :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
aliantha wrote:... all I can say to you is good luck! :)
+1

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Urg, I hate it too. Try and avoid it wherever possible.

Good luck. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Thanks Ali, Av. Feeling a bit more positive today after a grueling night shift in which it was driven home how much I need to change.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I've changed jobs every 3 years on average. Sometime by choice sometimes not (economy).

Each time is a pain in the ass.
I've been a hiring manage too.
That is also a pain in the ass.

The thing is, if you want a change or to make a large jump in money you need to change jobs several times, imo.

Have someone else take a look at your resume for typos and if it makes sense. It might read right to you but sound odd to someone else.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

These guys are really old school. I had to collect the application form in person from the store and fill it in by hand before sending it back. In fairness I think I should have had someone look it over for spelling mistakes etc, but I wanted to get it in fast. We'll see.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Definitely take the interview if they give you one. At worst, it'll be good practice.

I hate job hunting. I stick with bad jobs because I'm terrified of being unemployed, and I worry that I'll end up with something worse. But there comes a time when you know you have to get out - for money or sanity or whatever reason.

Good luck.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Post by Avatar »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:I've changed jobs every 3 years on average. Sometime by choice sometimes not (economy).

Each time is a pain in the ass.
I've been a hiring manager too.
That is also a pain in the ass.
Haha, I've had 3 jobs in the last 15 years. :D

And none of the changes were by my choice...got retrenched from 1, company closed down at the 2nd, and I'm still at the third.

I also hate hiring people...it really sucks. Luckily at my current job I've moved (mostly) above the level where I had to do so. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I used to hire for the vets and it was always a lottery as to the success or otherwise of the result. When it worked you got no credit and when the new employee turned out to be a duff one it was your fault! :lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I began my 10th year teaching, and that's the longest I've done anything. Second was wallpapering/painting, but that was never full time for more than a few weeks at a time. I liked it and was very good at it, but life changed and I wasn't doing that anymore. I love teaching, but do think about changing the venue. Opportunities are limited in Jos, to say the least.

But sometimes it's just time.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

It's the most important job in the world Deer, is teaching - everything else stems from it.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, pity governments don't seem to be all that good at realising it...

--A
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

peter wrote:It's the most important job in the world Deer, is teaching - everything else stems from it.
Indeed. And what Av said, too.

When I was in broadcasting, the longest I stayed anywhere was seven years. More often, I was changing jobs every two or three years, and the last several of those were due to layoffs. But changing jobs every two years is pretty much the standard in broadcasting. To move up, you move to a bigger city.

Since my career shift in '99, I've had just two jobs. I lasted eight months at the first place, working for a solo practitioner who was well-known for bullying her staff. Previous employees gave me props for sticking it out that long. :lol: I actually quit that job without having anything else lined up -- the first time I've ever done that. The next job was the current one. That was almost 17 years ago. 8O I expect I'll retire from this place, for various reasons, none of them related to satisfaction with my current job.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Good luck, Peter.
I have to look for new work, too. Got laid off last week. Its not pretty in my area. All im seeing is sales jobs and I don't want to do ssles.
The King has one more move.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Good luck also, to you caamora. Agree about being wary of getting into sales - I got in 11 years ago and inertia did the rest ...........

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Sorry to hear that, Caamora. Good luck.

And inertia is a good word for it. Describes half my 'career'.

Post by Avatar »

Caam, good to see you around. Sorry about the circumstances though. Good luck with the job hunt.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Ah well - back to the drawing board; my refusal letter came today (not even an interview :roll: ). They will never know what an erudite and industrious employee they missed (yeah right!). Still on the positive side I'm a great believer in fate going where it will; if it doesn't happen it isn't meant to in my book and the sun will still rise tomorrow :lol: .

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Sorry. Though these days you're lucky to get any kind of response - especially if you're applying online and whatnot. I think most of those applications get eaten by robots. Better to apply in person when it's an option (which I know you did there). And it's always been true to some degree, but these days it's definitely who you know over what you know. Which is why I work with a clique of spoiled adult children. One of these days I will have a job where my work is valued. Something something, flying pigs.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”