My Bucket List

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Linna, as someone who is working on knocking stuff off her bucket list, I am here to say that you won't be getting any criticism about taking this too seriously from me. 8)
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
aliantha wrote:
In 2010, aliantha, for her bucket list, wrote: * Visit the Czech Republic. I've got my eye on a walking tour of the hiking trail that runs from Vienna to Prague. No, I wouldn't have to walk the whole way! :P
I've knocked off two of the three; the only thing left is Ireland. 8O
Really? Where did you go? My time there was spent centered in Brno but we took lots of train rides to other cities like Telc, Jihlava, and Olomouc, but only one weekend trip to Prague. I was originally surprised by the countryside--it looks a lot like the Hill Country in Texas--but then it made perfect sense when I realized that the Czechs who settled here moved to a place which reminded them of home. I can still read some Czech but my verbal fluency was never that good--I didn't get enough practice at it.

That was towards the end of my relationship with the mezzo soprano so the trip was great but the company could have been better. *shrug*
We were on a tour, so we just spent a couple of days in Prague. Then we got on a big bus and drove through that Hill Country you're talking about to the Danube, where got on the river cruise. I was able to make out signage in Prague (and also in Slovakia and some of the other countries we went to -- interesting how "large" is some variation of velky in just about every Slavic language :lol: ) but I've definitely got an Americanized accent. :( I suspect if I lived there for a while, I'd get better at the language. And although it's not officially on my bucket list, I wouldn't mind going back to see more of the Czech Republic. Also wouldn't mind going back to Bratislava, which I thought was charming.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

aliantha wrote:Linna, as someone who is working on knocking stuff off her bucket list, I am here to say that you won't be getting any criticism about taking this too seriously from me. 8)
Okay, good! :)

Those places sound beautiful / that trip sounds fun!
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Funny enough I dont really have a "bucket list" per se. There are some things I would like to do while still young enough to enjoy them.

Cross the pond - I would love to go to Ireland, Italy, France, New Zealand.

Drive across the US while making sure to go through every state. But I need time to do that cause I wouldnt want to ride through them all quickly. Perhaps when I retire I can work that in.

Learn a couple of languages - Spanish is one I think would be beneficial here. But not sure about another language... still it would be nice.

Go on a 'trail drive'. I have ridden horses for years but always thought that would be cool.

Catch a big Marlin. Yep that would be awesome.

See my daughter graduate college.

Walk my daughter down the aisle.

Oh yeah and pay off the house in the next 4 years! I make double payments each month so its going down fast....

As far as when to retire or to do things. As you can is the best. Most people do these things after their kids have left the nest. I fall into that bracket and my wife and I try to find a balance between savings and having fun. So we travel to Ski, go the beach, go the mountains, etc etc....But it is a balance. I would like to have a comfortable retirement so I balance my 'wants' with making sure Im also saving. I figure I have another 5 to 10 years in the workforce and I would like to have squirrel away 1.2 million (includes pensions, 401K and savings) before I'm 60. Sounds like alot but health insurance alone over a 30 year period will eat up about 25% to 35% of that. The other side of that is, when you have money saved like that, the govt feels like you should pay more for everything. So Medicaid will cost me and the wife more, and no telling what will happen if the Govt starts eyeballing retirement accounts. And of course the worst.... you are always one critical illness from bankruptsy no matter how much you save.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Dammit! I haven't done anything on my bucket-list yet!!!
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

At one point my bucket list consisted solely in paradox: "Before I die, I want to commit suicide" :P

Then I went totally insane and decided to believe that I'm immortal, so my list ended up endless.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Every now and again, I check off those things from my bucket list.
The two that are still possible:

Go outside of the US to a place better than friggin' Mexico was. Ireland is at the top of that list. I have no direct plans, but I did just order a passport.

See the Residents in concert. Every now and again I hear of them playing somewhere, and it is never Denver. Bastards. I think the Blue Man Group might just be the closest I ever get.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I have no ambitions. :D

--A
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I have some things I'd like to do. But I don't think I've ever made an actual bucket list.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor

Return to “General Discussion Forum”