What Do You Think Today?

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Off to Iceland today. Just a short trip away to the North of the island - supposedly pretty rugged and very beautiful. This is my first trip overseas since my operation last year and I'm feeling a bit apprehensive to be honest. Wish me luck guys - see you in a few days.

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Safe travels. :D

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

That sounds incredible Pete. Enjoy 😊

You will be sorely missed .. and good luck. Take pics and share them with us.

Imgbb.com highly recommend it and you can convert your pics to jpegs img etc.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Have an awesome time, peter! Iceland is on my Bucket List v.2, but I'd likely wimp out and stick around Reykavik. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol:

Thanks guys - it was awesome! Minus 15 at times and cold enough to be seriously painful on any exposed skin - but staggeringly beautiful! At one point, the air itself was so still and so cold that in the sunlight the very water itself was freezing out (not rain or snow mark you - the actual water vapour in the air itself) into myriads of little diamond glints before your eyes. We saw mountains and glaciers, boiling mud pools and giant waterfalls, lava fields and tundra, all under a white blanket of snow stretching for ever in every direction. We trecked a couple of hours into the off-road wilderness which was hard (like walking in deep sand) and exhilarating - but in the main our guides and the 4X4's could deal with most of the terrain better than we could manage on foot so were a safer bet. It would be great trecking country in the summer months but in the winter you simply have to give the place the respect it deserves. We were so fortunate with the weather; beautiful clear views under bright sun and with little wind. But on the few occasions it changed - and it does, with frightening rapidity as well - we realized that it would be entirely possible to visit the place and seriously never be able to go outside. We are simply not 'made up' to deal with cold at this level (unless you are a professional or a native). But the very air itself is clean - you feel it as you breathe - the cars and people outside the town's and villages few and far between and a feeling of freedom purveys all. I love it.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

I'm not going anywhere that it's -15. :lol:

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: I get that Av! Oddly, it's taken a bit to readjust to the temperature at home. They are big on being warm inside (understandably) and our home has felt cold in comparison. :roll:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

:lol: Lucky you.

My last trip away from home was to Dundee in Scotland. What a shithole.
The Caird Hall in the towncentre was caked in a green lichenous algae, from the slate roofs to the grand ol pillars and steps.
To think Sinatra, Bowie, Queen, and many others, have played that once proud venue.
Non-member of the happy clappy club
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

On the theme of which, terribly sad to read of the passing of Keith Flint, front man of the legendary dance band The Prodigy at only 49 ears of age.

I saw the band twice, once at a large festival, but second at one of the smaller venues at which they were at their best. Flint led the show through a series of numbers, each better than the last to a culmination of what was quite possibly one of the best nights experience I have ever had - band, film or whatever. Off screen he pursued his passion for motorcycle racing, achieving a high standard on professional circuits and for all his wild stage antics was universally recognised as a gentle man of great humility and kindness, attributes that shone out from him on the occasions I saw him interviewed.

The entertainment world has lost a great performer in Flint and the world is a poorer place for loosing him. His legacy as one of the greats is assured and the music he helped make happen will live on for as long as there is people who feel the need to dance. Rock on Keith - Godspeed and gratitude to you!

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

I saw them once in concert too actually. (To be fair, the GF wanted to see them and dragged me along.) A 150kg drunken reveller fell on her, which is what she basically remembers every time she hears them now. :D

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

That sounds traumatic and likely painful .. but definitely a story for future lols

Like me being hit by a Steggles frozen turkey truck ... on a clear day riding my motorbike on a three lane freeway with no other traffic on the road. He just moved across into my land, clipped me and thats all it took and I was down, sliding across the bitumen. Luckily I had a full face helmet or I would have lost my face on the asphalt.

Couldnt walk for sometime, removed several layers of skin.

Yet being hit by the turkey truck always gets LOLS 😞

:LOLS:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Just passed 6000 posts!! HAHAHA

That only took...well...a loooong time.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Wooo hooo :nanaparty:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Post by Avatar »

Congrats Balon. :D

--A
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Thanks guys!! I was really surprised, haha. Happy to make a comback and set a personal record. :biggrin:
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Nice job, Balon!

I might actually hit 18K here sometime in the near-ish future...

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I think Im a little irritated today. Im on a property stay atm, cattle, dogs sheep and a couple of kitties.

Two cows are located directly behind the house. One calfed on Saturday and one yet to calf. So when I arrived this morning they told me they havent seen the calf feeding from mum. And said theres milk in the shed. Advised me that hubby would put out large round nails of hay for the cattle ... to graze on ... which I said I was happy about not having to tote bails. Then took off. They left me a lovely plastic covered document with notes.

Turns out hubby did not put giant round nails out .. I have to tote bails. Not thrilled but ok .. then I check on the calf whos not in a good way at all. Ragged breathing, laying prone on the ground, head back, tongue hanging out. Looking bad.

Lying down isnt so much of a problem .. but not feeding, ragged breathing sets off alarm bells .. well lets say alert bells 😉

So immediately made up some milk replacer and tried him with it .. in about an hour and a half he drank about 700mls. First drink was about half an hour and he only got 200mls down. Sucking was odd and one hoof is curled over .. and hes knuckling. Im hoping as he gets stronger it will self correct.

So tried to milk mum who is huge with horns .. I managed to get about 50mls during which time she kicked me twice. After the second kick I decided to count myself lucky with my 50mls of colostrum, though to be honest, not a lot of colostrum as it was mostly thin and watery. But hey. And mum is rock hard ... its a real pity she wouldnt let me milk her more.

So spent this afternoon working on the calfs sucking. I finally got the pup on the teet. So fingers crossed that sticks.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I've seen the pics on FB, Sky. You've been a miracle worker with that calf. Good job!

Gotta love it when the pet parents don't tell you exactly what you're getting into. "Should be fine. See ya in a week!: :evil:

EZ Board Survivor

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Yes I am however restricted what I can say about a client on Facebook 🤷‍♀️ lol 😂 yes the calf is very slowly making gains. Hes pretty good on feeding .. happily watched him feed today. He doesnt stay on long .. that tendon problem between fetlock and pastern is still affecting his stability.

But I am stretching that tendon throughout the day. I have to pick my times when mum and her bestie are down the opposite end of the paddock.

Had a few scuffles this afternoon and got butted in the face with a horn. Hurt like the bejeebus .. but they can be erratic. So you move on. The nose is still sore lol 😂

I had two break into the girls paddock today and one somehow got out. All where they need to be now.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

This post makes me sick with fear for you Sky. A horn in the face once is a warning - next time it could be oh so much more. Stop with these 'farm' visits; if it is a smallholding (and I assume it is - proper farms have staff to stay in situ while they are away) then they are the menace to the agricultural profession as amateur dabblers are in any. Handling of cattle requires people with understanding and proper equipment/facilities to do it properly. That these cattle are horned tells me reams about this set up just in itself. Stop this Sky or you're going to get seriously hurt or worse. I'm so angry that these bastards could place you in such a dangerous situation I could spit! Enough!

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “General Discussion Forum”