APBio

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

lurch
The Gap Into Spam

APBio

Post by lurch »

Its a comedy..a dark comedy at times.
The 2nd season starts early March 2019.
You can stream the 1 st season on NBC.com or what ever.
The premise is..a College Professor has issues , gets fired, and ends up as a high school teacher of Advanced Placement Biology class..hence APBio..
Its inside out and upside down from there on..Teacher doesn't want to teach and nerdy students want to learn is the broad conflict but it goes way far from that origin...more of a.. life lessons are taught..darkly.
I was taken aback by the comedy..I could not believe some of the lines and "jokes" were allowed on commercial TV...but competition from cable Shows seems to be the new leverage..Some adult humor thru out but nuthin to shield the kiddie's eyes from...well in most cases.
Glenn whats his name from Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, starrs as the failed teacher.
Patton Oswalt is the nebish Principle
The students , over the 1st season, show their chops and one or two actually steal the show.
The 3 female teachers are great back up and supporting staff usually working the "B" plot along as it eventually intertwines into the "A " Plot.
But the Writing is the main Starr in My Mind..Ya never quite kno where this show is going..and sometimes when you see it going to where its going,,yea it can make you cringe..ina good way..Some very good " Humor Noir" involved in this show along with little tributes here and there to great Comedy over the years; from Keaton to Lucille Ball to even R Wiliams..

Its only a half hour but a very intense half hour. More than once I felt the editing required to make it into a 21 to 22 minute paradigm. Yea sometimes it goes by too fast and ya have to watch it a 2nd time to catch all the stuff you missed..
Its shot thru filters so all the indoor scenes have the same Teal and Orange color schematic including wardrobes, school rooms etc.
Teachers who take themselves and their jobs too seriously complain on the Internutz about this show. But Teachers of a more balanced perspective think the show hits the bullseye as well.
..Again, I like the writing. The comedy can be nonstop and that makes a half hour go by fast. The directing is handed off to a new person almost weekly so every episode is different as to how its directed. This adds to the not knowing appeal and to every episode being fresh and new.
Give it a try and by the 3rd or 4th episode you will kno if its for you or not.

If ya already are into it,,lets talk!
MEL
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Holy crap! A Lurch sighting! Hope you are well, sir. I'll have to check this one out. I loves me some Patton Oswalt.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Haa!

Post by lurch »

Hey Cag!,,Yea I can't believe it either but every morning I wake up still breathing...so I found my way back to here. Howdy!I hope you and yours are doing well!

Folks are saying the best way to watch season 1 of APBio is a one session binge watch..Thats not a bad idea cuz there is a arc of sorts from episode 1 to episode last. And watch out for Patty Perell, she plays the principle's aid/secretary..She wrote for SNL for years and now stepped into acting. She slays. I don't know how people playing opposite of her keep a straight face.
Have fun!
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Loves me some Glenn Howerton. I'll have to check it out.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

..Well NBC played the fans of APBio out pretty darn well...First NBC announced that APBio was not renewed for a season 3 on network...Apparently nobody at NBC wanted to mention APBio's HULU's numbers. So..a fan based, originated by Patton Oswalt, internet based attempt at getting APBio renewed was launched..with a call to stream APBio on Hulu to demonstrate the fans strength...Well..come to find out, the HULU numbers on APBio were always strong...and NBC just happened to be launching their Own Streaming Platform in 2020....So guess what show got a 3rd season via NBC's new streaming platform..

It could mean a more liberal risque humor. It could mean the show gets a little more time so it doesn't have the hurried feel..but all the actors and actresses contracts expired in June so new contracts for all..That could have consequences or not....We'll see!
pg4 TLD
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Everybody else notice Lurch just sneaking back in all quiet-like? :D

--A

Return to “TV Shows”