The Mordant's Need Trivia Game (Spoilers!!!)

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

IrrationalSanity wrote:
Hunchback Jack wrote:Well done, Skyweir!

(By the way, was the detail that I got wrong the mention of using two curved glasses? On reflection (pun intended) I think you would have to translate a flat glass through a curved glass in order to travel within the same world without going mad. A curved glass made in Mordant will never show an image of Mordant).

HBJ
Correct. Of course, the answer I would have been looking for was simply that Barsonage said the congery had dedicated themselves to discovering how Gart (and friends) were able to translate themselves in and out of Orison without going mad. You became "wrong" by adding the bit about the mirrors. (It wasn't how they "used flat mirrors" without going mad, or anything about dual translation. Just how they managed to translate in and out without going mad.)

Only then did Eremis put forth the mirror within a mirror suggestion, but leaving out the little detail of the special oxidate treatment.
Quite right, Sanity, and I thank you for helping me answer Jack's question while I've been busy!

Hunchback Jack, you are correct that it takes two mirrors, a flat glass translated into a curved glass (made with a special oxidate, as IrrationalSanity states), to allow people in the world of Mordant to be translated elsewhere in that world without going mad. But, that is Master Ermeis' offered solution to the problem Master Barsonage is having the Congery research, not the challenge itself. The challenge is how people can be translated in and out of Orison without going mad, and that was basically what I was looking for.

Basically, HJ, I was asking what does Master Barsonage tell Master Eremis, and you responded with what Master Eremis tells Master Barsonage.

[quote="In the thirty-seventh chapter of A Man Rides Through, entitled "Poised For Victory", was"] remis grinned around the rim of his goblet. This was better than he had anticipated, more fun. He liked opponents who were capable of surprises. He had grown almost fond of King Joyse. Even Lebbick had his good side. Geraden was virtually likeable. And as for Terisa--

That made their destruction especially exciting.

Unite the Masters, was that it? Then they would have to be un-united.

He twirled his goblet in his long fingers. "Thank you, Master Barsonage," he said happily. "I understand you now.

"What work is the Congery doing with its rediscovered purpose?"

Again the mediator shrugged. A trickle of water ran out of his chest hair across his belly. It will not surprise you. We labor to learn how it is that men such as the High King's Monomach, who is no Imager, and Master Gilbur, whose talents are known to us, can be translated in and out of Orison at no cost to their sanity. Translation through flat glass drives men mad. That has been true since the dawn of Imagery. Why, then, are our enemies not destroyed by the very weapons they use against us?"[/quote]

We labor to learn how it is that men such as the High King's Monomach, who is no Imager, and Master Gilbur, whose talents are known to us, can be translated in and out of Orison at no cost to their sanity. I would have accepted "how the enemies of Mordant can translate themselves in and out of Orison without going mad", as that's the gist of what Master Barsonage tells Master Eremis that the Congery is working on.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Cord Hurn wrote:
Skyweir wrote:How to translate through flat glass without losing ones sanity?

Specifically in and out of Orison 🤔

But we already posited this answer. 🤔
YOU HAVE IT, SKYWEIR! Hunchback Jack's answer only lacked Master Barsonage's concern about these appearances out of thin air occuring "in and out of Orison", which is how he framed it as a matter of defense to Eremis.

:nanaparty: :letsparty: :nanaparty:

It's your trivia question, Skyweir! :biggrin:

:poke:
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I have sent Skyweir a Private Message, letting her know that she still has control of the MN Trivia question, having answered the last question correctly.
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Look forward to question Skyweir! :)
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Sky has asked me if I will ask the next Mordant's Need Trivia question, so here it is:

What did Terisa say to Myste upon their first meeting, that made Myste want to meet with her again, and become her friend?
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Wasn't it something about the work she did with the Reverend and that Terisa felt it was ordinary? Then Myste said something about that was incredible and couldn't imagine living a life where she could make a difference?

Or I could be remembering a whole other line of conversation :)
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

samrw3 wrote:Wasn't it something about the work she did with the Reverend and that Terisa felt it was ordinary? Then Myste said something about that was incredible and couldn't imagine living a life where she could make a difference?

Or I could be remembering a whole other line of conversation :)

You're on the right track, Sam! The word, "ordinary", has something to do with Myste's motivation for friendship with Terisa.
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Aughh!! I remember the fringes of the discussion but the specifics are avoiding me!

Hmmm, maybe it was something about how Terisa saw herself in the mirror every day and it was just ordinary routine. Of course Myste found that fascinating because in Mordant mirrors had significant value and impact.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

samrw3 wrote:Aughh!! I remember the fringes of the discussion but the specifics are avoiding me!

Hmmm, maybe it was something about how Terisa saw herself in the mirror every day and it was just ordinary routine. Of course Myste found that fascinating because in Mordant mirrors had significant value and impact.

It has to do with something Terisa said about herself to Myste and Elega.
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Cord Hurn wrote:
samrw3 wrote:Aughh!! I remember the fringes of the discussion but the specifics are avoiding me!

It has to do with something Terisa said about herself to Myste and Elega.
Humph I am stumped. - Avatar, IrrationalSanity, Skyweir, HunchbackJack or any other lurkers out there got some guesses?
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

As Cord Hurn says, you were very close in your answer. Cuato might have given you a hint, too (if he weren't dead on Mars...).

And in case that is a little bit too indirect, I'll point out that "you are what you do."
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Hmm the only other specifics coming to my mind are that Terisa told them she worked as ordinary assistant for a place that provided assistance to the poor and needy. Then Myste and Elega found that interesting because they come from privileged life and felt what she was doing as special and worthy.

Lol driving me crazy because I do remember some vague thoughts in my brain about something Myste found interesting about Terisa and I just can't seem to connect those thoughts :?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

That's about what I remember too, so no help from me I'm afraid. :D

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

samrw3 wrote:Hmm the only other specifics coming to my mind are that Terisa told them she worked as ordinary assistant for a place that provided assistance to the poor and needy.
You're getting much warmer, now! Hint: It's something Terisa insisted about herself, to Elega's strong disbelief.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

{Why do I hear strains of Helen Reddy channeling Henry Higgins in the background...}
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Hunchback Jack
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

That's a truly excellent hint, IS.

HBJ
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

I think I finally got it. Terisa told them she felt she was ordinary, plain woman and that men did not desire her or seek after her. Both Elega and Myste could not believe it because they thought of Terisa s being quite stunning looking and having some womanly ummm "assets" that men would desire.

PS HBJ there is nothing in the rules that say you cannot steal the answer even if someone else is currently in the hunt to figure out answer :D
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah but then he has to think of a question... ;)

(Also, now I have "Just you wait, 'Enry 'Iggens, just you wait..." in my head, thanks. :D )

--A
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

samrw3 wrote:I think I finally got it. Terisa told them she felt she was ordinary, plain woman and that men did not desire her or seek after her. Both Elega and Myste could not believe it because they thought of Terisa s being quite stunning looking and having some womanly ummm "assets" that men would desire.

PS HBJ there is nothing in the rules that say you cannot steal the answer even if someone else is currently in the hunt to figure out answer :D
I'll let Cord pass judgement on the answer. A little TMI (conflating who the extra info was given to), but I don't think it will impact the correct part in this case.
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

samrw3 wrote:I think I finally got it. Terisa told them she felt she was ordinary, plain woman and that men did not desire her or seek after her. Both Elega and Myste could not believe it because they thought of Terisa s being quite stunning looking and having some womanly ummm "assets" that men would desire.

You're on the brink of the answer, Sam! SO close...!!! Terisa did indeed tell Myste and Elega that she considered herself to be an ordinary woman, but not ordinary in the sense of being desirable. Terisa meant she was ordinary in another way. If you or any other person guessing can name the way that Terisa considered herself ordinary, then Ill have to designate that MN Trivia Game participant the winner!

Return to “Mordant's Need”