How Do You Feel Today? v4

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Been off work for a couple of weeks. During this period the new rules about workplace masks have been introduced so when I go back I'm likely to have to wear one throughout the working period. Don't know how my [poor] temperature regulation will deal with the high temps if I can't loose heat through my mouth. Will be hours of sustained hell that's for sure!

Oh well - into every life.......

:)
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I see the doctor today for an xray. If he's happy with the progress, I get a walking boot. Then around a month in that.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'm Murrin wrote:WoW's very processor based and doesn't take all that much graphical power, tbh. An SSD makes a big difference on load times though.
Yeah, there's a video going around where someone recorded the load time of Legion Dalaran on an SSD vs. HDD. Makes me wish I'd done it two years ago. Or four years, as long as I'm fantasizing. They've only really been affordable for the last 2 or so. And I can afford one, I'm just reluctant to spend money on non-essentials right now. I know I'm probably going to break down before the expac drops (especially since it's been delayed).
peter wrote:Been off work for a couple of weeks. During this period the new rules about workplace masks have been introduced so when I go back I'm likely to have to wear one throughout the working period. Don't know how my [poor] temperature regulation will deal with the high temps if I can't loose heat through my mouth. Will be hours of sustained hell that's for sure!

Oh well - into every life.......

:)
I've been wearing a mask an average of 10 hours a day, 5 days a week for the last 5 months. I don't even notice it anymore. Avoid anything in a spandex/T-shirt type material. If you sweat, the material will cling to your mouth and nose, and that's not fun. My current favorite is a heavy brocade with a good nose wire. It keeps its shape and doesn't get wet even when I'm working in a warehouse with no AC.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Damn, it just never ends...my lack of motivation etc. is showing no signs of dissipating I fear.

SSD: I got the 512GB version of this: https://www.amazon.com/HP-EX920-Interna ... B0795Z97K7

Looks like I will have to go with a sub-optimal orientation for my liquid cooling, if it's really bad I will consider a new case I guess, but not sure how much it'll help if it's the CPU position on the mb that is the problem...

--A
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Same boot 👢. But permission to walk 🚶‍♂️ some.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Post by Avatar »

Just don't overdo it sarge.

--A
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

My doctor already warned me. Said he knew I would try.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Sorus wrote:
I'm Murrin wrote:WoW's very processor based and doesn't take all that much graphical power, tbh. An SSD makes a big difference on load times though.
Yeah, there's a video going around where someone recorded the load time of Legion Dalaran on an SSD vs. HDD. Makes me wish I'd done it two years ago. Or four years, as long as I'm fantasizing. They've only really been affordable for the last 2 or so. And I can afford one, I'm just reluctant to spend money on non-essentials right now. I know I'm probably going to break down before the expac drops (especially since it's been delayed).
I got one recently, didn't notice a huge difference at first but I've been gradually appreciating it more and more. And now after playing the beta I think it's going to be a big deal for Shadowlands - the travel from Oribos to the zones uses hidden load screens where you're on a flightpath and seamlessly transition from zone->portal->zone, and I can imagine them being reallllll slow on an HDD.

Post by Avatar »

HDD is especially bad when you have your OS on the same drive, since your OS is always doing stuff in the background.

Even just putting your OS on an SSD and your games on an HDD (assuming you have a 7200 RPM HDD) will make a game faster. But if you can, SSD is the way to go.

(I have to buy a new case now. (I mean, I have bought one, just waiting for it to arrive.) Because with my AIO cooler in, my HDD's don't fit. :D

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Avatar wrote: (I have to buy a new case now. (I mean, I have bought one, just waiting for it to arrive.) Because with my AIO cooler in, my HDD's don't fit. :D

--A
Yeah, that's the sort of thing that keeps me from attempting that kind of DIY. My frustration threshold is pretty low right now.

Sounds like it'll be pretty awesome when it's done.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Post by Avatar »

I have to say, I think it will. :D My only bottleneck is gonna be my GPU, since that was a previous upgrade, so it's a few gens behind the rest of my gear, but still perfectly adequate.

Despite having done quite a lot of them over the years, this kinda build is still nerve-wracking to me. Always terrified I'm going to fry shit and waste all that money. :D

Hasn't happened yet, but that doesn't stop me worrying about it. :D

--A
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

get out of the house today! Doctor appointment. Book store and lunch in the truck somewhere.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Avatar wrote:Despite having done quite a lot of them over the years, this kinda build is still nerve-wracking to me. Always terrified I'm going to fry shit and waste all that money. :D
Modern equipment is surprisingly resilient.

Don't connect all the power cords.
Don't put a fan on the CPU.
Don't plug the RAM in all the way.

It can actually survive all of these. Kind of like how a lot of the development of Windows over the last two decades has been in making it more resilient; after all, I can't remember the last time I had a BSOD.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information

Post by Avatar »

I did fry a stick of RAM once. :D

Anyway, my case arrived on Monday, so far too much time spent disassembling and re-assembling. But all done now (I put a pic on the Discord) and it's rock solid, CPU idling at about 26C and GPU idling at about 28C.

If I run Cinebench 20, after an initial burst of heat while the pump ramps up, it stabilises at 50C, and not going much over 60C on the GPU for a Heaven benchmark.

Overall, pretty happy. Now...what shall I play... :D

--A
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

out again today! Julie has a doctor appointment in Houston.

I think this is Wednesday? If so comic book auction tonight.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

yeah I saw that 😉

Hope all is well

Been a beautiful day today 24C and just perfect for working outside in
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

She had a routine physical. I have mine next week. Update our shots.

We voted, so that's out of the way.

Had seafood for dinner.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Sorry to read about some of your struggles and heartened by some of the good things.

I am doing ok. Still worried about dAN. Not sure if he will ever be able to return to the Watch. Been performing caregiving for my wife who is battling constant pain from a possible herniated disc that is pressing on her sciatic nerve. She goes for a steroid shot on Tuesday. Possible surgery after that. So heartbreaking to watch her suffer and be powerless to help besides comforting her.
If you hate politics as much as I do this is the absolute worst time of the year.
There's more but I am trying to stay positive.

Everyone hang in there. It's going to get better.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Tom - I suffer from two back discs. So I can empathize.

Sorry that Dan may not return. He is in our prayers as is your wife.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Post by Avatar »

You're in our thoughts TOM, dAN and Sarge & Mrs.Null too.

Finally starting to catch a break with work, things slowing down to a mild panic instead of the recent full blown catastrophes...hopefully we can maintain it at this for a while.

(The problem with catastrophes of course is that one never knows when one will appear out of nowhere.)

Summer is definitely here...amazing the difference a week makes. Looking up at that last post, since then my ambient temp has gone up so much that my CPU is idling at 31-32 now, and my GPU at 35. :D

In other news, there is no other news. Except for that which will go in a different thread. :D

--A

Return to “General Discussion Forum”