The Mordant's Need Trivia Game (Spoilers!!!)

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

samrw3 wrote:i have no idea how it was decorated. But I will make a wild guess just for the fun of it.

Was it decorated with war/fighting type objects? Such things as swords/spears/long knives/etc?

I will tell you how it should have been decorated - as a hospital room full of patient monitoring systems/IVs/gauze/sterile equipment. That man was bleeding or recovering from bleeding most of the first book. 8) :lol:
LOL! It is for Avatar to judge, as it is his question, and I would just be on the fence, and might even be breaking the rules if I were to do more than post a few cloaked clues.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

samrw3 wrote: Was it decorated with war/fighting type objects? Such things as swords/spears/long knives/etc?
It was decorated with one type of such objects. :D However, there is something about the objects of that type that makes them notable...

--A
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

samrw3 wrote: Was it decorated with war/fighting type objects? Such things as swords/spears/long knives/etc?
It was decorated with one type of such objects. :D However, there is something about the objects of that type that makes them notable...

--A
And if he gets the point of my clues, he'll easily crack the code...
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Hmm I guess I am not very good at clues.

But here goes nothing. Is it more along the lines of knives - possible sheathed knives? The notable part is more used for hunting than fighting per se?
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Is it too late to change my answer? I just realized I am pretty sure of the answer now.

Was it decorated by fencing type swords and equipment - fencing outfits and such? My guess is he used a foil.
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
starkllr
Ramen

Post by starkllr »

I f I remember right, it's not merely swords, but specifically broken swords - swords that had "failed him" I think was how it was phrased.

f I'm right, I will cede my right to choose the next question because I can't think of a good one offhand...

Post by Avatar »

starkllr is right. :D No ceding, take your time, post a stumper. ;)

"Swords that had failed him" is exactly right.

--A
starkllr
Ramen

Post by starkllr »

Well, if I can't shirk the responsibility, I'll come up with something, hopefully over the weekend...

Post by Avatar »

:D Good man. :D

--A
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Good job starkllr! Nice to have another guesser and clue giver in crowd!

Please join us any other lurkers out there!
starkllr
Ramen

Post by starkllr »

OK, here goes...I hope this hasn't been asked before, and I hope it's not too easy (or too obscure):

Who would the Tor have wanted to marry his daughter off to (if he had one), and why that person?

Post by Avatar »

Ooh...uh...Ribult? :D (I can't remember why...or was it the other one...) :D

--A
starkllr
Ramen

Post by starkllr »

Yes on the name, but we still need the Tor's reason why he would pick Ribuld...

Post by Avatar »

Hmmm, was it during the final battle scene?

Anybody got the reason? They can have the question... :P

--A
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

I actually like this question, and had to think on it a while, replaying the scene in my head, to get the reason.

I think you are not going for just why he was in such gratitude (but I'll include it just in case: Ribuld was honoring his dignity by helping him prepare for his final battle), but rather why this particular expression of his gratitude - which was (in so many words) to enable him to squander her inheritance. :)
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

starkllr
Ramen

Post by starkllr »

IrrationalSanity got it - that's exactly the phrase the Tor used.

So the next question is yours!
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Once he discovered the truth of his talent, Gereden had one final "unexpected" translation result. What was it, and how did he correct it?
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Every so often I like to throw wild guesses out there and hope for slim chance I may be close. This is one of those times....

Was it the time he translated himself and Terisa to Terisa's old apartment? Then if I remember it correctly he resolved it by finding a curved mirror after he realized/remembered his mastery was not with flat mirrors.

I am pretty sure I am off on both counts but hey what the heck :roll:
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

samrw3 wrote:Every so often I like to throw wild guesses out there and hope for slim chance I may be close. This is one of those times....

Was it the time he translated himself and Terisa to Terisa's old apartment? Then if I remember it correctly he resolved it by finding a curved mirror after he realized/remembered his mastery was not with flat mirrors.

You aren't totally off. In fact you're half right. Almost 3/4, actually.

With a clue, you might have a remote chance of calling forth the right response.
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

IrrationalSanity wrote:
samrw3 wrote:Every so often I like to throw wild guesses out there and hope for slim chance I may be close. This is one of those times....

You aren't totally off. In fact you're half right. Almost 3/4, actually.

With a clue, you might have a remote chance of calling forth the right response.
Based on your clues I am going to guess he used a television screen to translate them back to Mordant?

Return to “Mordant's Need”