ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

Believer wrote:I think it's time someone posited that the Despiser and Kenaustin Ardenol are the same being. As both were attacked they became more and more substantial. QED.

:)
Although the substantiation during battle is the same, I hardly think that the Despiser and the Guardian are the same. There is just too much evidence against such a claim. Although you have brought up an interesting point, it raised more questions than supplies answers.

How is it possible that the Guardian(s) were also the Despiser? Do not both the Giants and Haruchai bleed when wounded?
Had Lord Foul had a hand in the placing of, or renewing of, the Guardian, surely the Elohim would have known of this, and possibly, had they deemed the threat great enough, Appointed one to oppose such a placement. Yet Findail, nor Chant, nor Daphin or even Infelice, for that matter, make any mention of such a stain on the Guardian. Yes, Findail himself is the only Elohim to even speak of the Guardian, and that is only to announce his presence on the Isle. But surely had the Despiser placed the Guardian, we would have been informed, or at least have been given hints in the text that this could be the case. Yet nowhere is that true.

Yes, we know the Despiser and his servants had previously tricked the Old Lords into taking them in as friends and Allies, but do you think that it was the Despiser's hand that caused the Earthpower to first make itself known to Berek? I think not. Surely the Despiser found ways to burden the hearts of the Friends of the Land, but at that time, the Earthpower was pure.
We know Earthpower is not the answer to Despite, but it did offer the Lords hope. It gave them the opportunity to find their own answers, to find strength within themselves to resist Despite. Kevin succumbed to Despair, and wrought destruction to the Land. That was the Despiser's work. But the Earthpower itself was as it was meant to be.
And although the new Lords were not nearly as strong in the ways of Earthpower, their Earthfriendship was stronger. The Oath of Peace bound them to the Land in ways the Old Lords could not match.
Kevin's lore was flawed in that it was poerful, but not proof against Despite.
But let us not forget that this Lore was a compilation of thousands of years of works of the Old Lords. Berek himself, the Lord-Fatherer, although an infant in it's ways, laid the foundation for the future. He was guided by the Earthpower itself to find the One Tree and create the first Staff of Law.
Granted, the Despiser was surely aware that this was not the answer, but he also must have known that it did offer resistance against him.
But it did offer Berek hope, a hope that he sorely needed. Surely it was the Earthpower that Guided him to place the Guardian, knowing that it was necessary to prevent further intrusion upon the One Tree. In this, the Despiser was absent.
He did, however, know the outcome of Covenant's attempt. And although the Guardian was not the Despiser or one of the Ravers, Lord Foul knew the consequence of Covenant's touch on the One Tree, and also knew that the Worm of the World's End would be made restive by the winning of passage through combat, and therefore wanted that attempt made.

The Guardian and Lord Foul the same being? No. Not while one Servant of the Land remains to resist Despite.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Good stuff, ur-bane! From what I've seen of Believer's other posts, he seems to be a bit of a jokester. Right, Believer? :) So I didn't take the Guardian/Despiser thing seriously. Oh, well, no harm done.

By the way, folks, this is a great thread! I'm floored by all the ideas here. Er, if I have anything coherent to add, I'll post.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

ur-bane,

How do you explain that both "Lord Foul" and "Ardenol" both contain the letters L, O, R, and D?

Your theories just don't hold water.
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

Wayfriend, although I give great credence to the import of a name, (much like the Giants,) the sharing of some letters does not make the being the same. SRD is the only person who can truly say if the sharing of those letters is intentional.

Those 2 names also share O L D.
Let us not forget that Lord Foul was also called by several other names, including Fangthane the Render (No "LORD" in that), The Despiser, again, no "LORD", Corruption, the Gray Slayer. Hmmmm........

Also, Berek, Loric, Damelon, Kevin, Osondrea, Prothall, Mhoram, Variol, Tamarantha, etc....etc...etc... all have "LORD" in their names....so why not associate the Guardian as being one of them rather than Foul?

It would seem that it is you who holds the cracked glass.
Believer
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Believer »

Hahaha... Yeah, MM is right. But Fist, thanks for that reaction :)
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

;)
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

That makes enough sense for me. Bu Ak-Haru, i thought it meant "honorary" or something, if thats true then are there other Ak-Haru back in haru-Land?
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Believer
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Believer »

I like the idea that Ardenol was another haruchai, largely for what F&F said... It just seems like the most elegant solution to me.

Though I also like the idea that he was simply a created magical being. Or perhaps not necessarily created, but imbued with (earth)power. Perhaps in any company that encountered the One Tree, there would be someone who knew a legend that would be fulfilled by AHKA... That would be why Brinn 'conceives' him to be AHKA; such a conception is required by the magic. In another group, some other fighter or Lord or mage would have recognized him to be some great test of skill, wisdom, life, whatever.

I like some variation of that second idea, I just don't have the details as to how exactly it would work.
pietten
Servant of the Land

Post by pietten »

IMO one doesn't measure their worth accurately against a peer; one does so against those with more or less mastery - more specifically with greater mastery (knowing one's limitations, as opposed to knowing the things one can do). ak-Haru just seems a bit like Amok to me, a "ward," a manifestation of earthpower, rather than a Harukai. The easiest grasping-ledge for the Haruchai are their overweening passion; they have a hard time letting go; it's a part of their racial identity. It gets them into all sorts of trouble, causing them to utter extravagant Vows, for instance. The characteristically flat mien is a reaction against this racial flaw; being extravagantly passionate people, they have cultivated the technique of extravagant restraint. Brinn has to very literally be flung off a cliff (those dang Haruchai just can't simply let go) before he learns the measure of his worth. Neither ak-Haru nor Brinn cease to exist; the one tree is not destroyed - it still needs a guardian. I like the idea that Berek never intended for the Guardian to be "overcome." Just because something is "renewed," does not necessarily mean it was tired or worn out or no longer fully functional. Brinn may have gained some knowledge (how much of it is racial - Cail seems buoyed by Brinn's "acievement" - and how much of it is personal?), but I tend to think ak-Haru experienced some growth, as well. "If you think this Haruchai blood looks FABulous splashed across your Banefire, just imagine what it can do for your Guardian of the One Tree!" Yes, I think Brinn achieved a sort of Zen enlightenment (is he now a bodhisattva?) but I don't think of the Haruchai as being, generally, all that zen-like. They are far too attached, to their egos, and to their ideals.

Great thread.
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

Nice post pietten. Glad you're jumping in head first, and you're not afraid to get a little wet!!! ;)

-B
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
pietten
Servant of the Land

Post by pietten »

thanks, baradakas. this is only the second forum i've participated in, really, but it all seems fairly simple enough. I should probably say that as yet I get most of my internet social niceties from the other (queer) forum, and come here for hard core lit discussions. I'm wild about SRD's work, and don't have anyone in my non-electronic or other-forum life that is also familiar with his work. I tried to turn my older sister on to some of them, but she found them too "hard." *sigh*

eh, I'm going to go rant in the introduction thread now - it's more appropriate
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

From the Gradual Interview:
Fist: We've been debating ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol's origin. Any chance you're willing to help us out? I don't know if it would be a spoiler to do so. Some think the Guardian was not aHKA until Brinn "conceived" of him that way. Some think aHKA was not originally a Haruchai. Some (me :) think aHKA was always Haruchai, and took on the job as the Guardian after Berek met him somewhere or other, and explained how important the job was.

And, again, THANK YOU for meeting with us at our Elohimfest!!!

More interesting, I think, is the question of how the Haruchai even know of Kenaustin Ardenol's existence. Nothing in the record (i.e. the first six "Covenant" books) suggests that the Haruchai were aware of the Lords in the Land prior to Kevin's time--and if they had ever had any dealings with, say, Berek, they certainly *would* have been aware of the Lords. So we can probably assume: a) Kenaustin Ardenol him/her/itself was not Haruchai; b) the Haruchai know of the existence of this being (which, by the way, is not the same as knowing of the existence of the Guardian of the One Tree) through some interaction outside the known history of the Land; and c) this interaction gave rise to the supreme Haruchai honorific "ak-Haru". More than that I can't say at the moment. The Earth is a whole lot bigger than the Land, and (like the Land) it's full of stories. I can't possibly tell them all.

(08/23/2004)
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

That was a great post. I really like the sub questions, which made my mind start rolling in another direction. About the land being just a part of the world. Do you suppose that earth power, possible in an example of lords fire, is used in other places on the Lands earth? Other "Lords" using the power?
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Well, another of my theories shot down! :LOLS:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

you're always wrong Fist. ;) :lol:
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Believer
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Believer »

Aww... Now my naive image of Furls as a paragon of niceness and virtue is all torn to shreds. :-P
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

No, no. She's right. I'm always wrong. That's what's so right about me.

(Anybody know where that's from?:))
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

:haha:

gotta love his theories tho :)
Believer wrote:Aww... Now my naive image of Furls as a paragon of niceness and virtue is all torn to shreds.
Wow! A paragon??? *adjusts her position on her pedestal* ;)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Well, even if Fist is "wrong" with his theory, look at the amount of deep discussion this thread has inspired!

SRD said in the Gradual Interview (May): "I don't like to tell other people how to interpret my books. You read them: you have the right to think about them any way that suits you."

So I don't think SRD's reply about ak-Haru necessarily invalidates Fist's ideas. SRD is simply encouraging his readers to think clearly and logically about what they are asking him. As such, I think he would be delighted by the level of discriminating thought put forward by Fist and the rest of the gang in this thread. :)
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Didnt mean to shoot you down, just got rollin a new direction. About that though, whats everyone think?

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”