Predictions?

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

Bullfrog wrote:I predict that Jeremiah will have some sort of gift/power/capability that gives him some importance......
IMO, the importance that Jeremiah is going to have is this:
He is going to goad Linden into using the wild magic in such a way as to threaten the Arch.
I think Jeremiah is Foul's tool, a tool forged by Foul to shape Linden once again into the kind of person that will give Foul the ring, or use the ring to achieve Foul's desires.. The only problem is, Foul once again will underestimate Linden. And I also do not think the destruction of the Arch would bring Foul his wanted outcome, to be free of his "prison." (I also do not believe the Arch will fall, but rather only the Earth)

I think Anele's struggles will foreshadow the Land's struggles. Anele, IMO is the Land. I stated that in another post, but thought it was relevant here as well.

I think Kastenessen, NOT Covenant, is our Fatal Revenant.

I think that all the Land's afflictions are going to come to a head together, making it impossible to combat all at once, resulting in Linden's ultimate act: Sacrificing the Earth on which the Land rests because she will eventually come to the revelation that Foul will not be able to escape the Arch of Time, but rather will be destroyed with it.

I think we have not seen our good friend the beggar because this time, he knows his world cannot survive.

I think at the last, the Haruchai will realize the error of their ways, but it will be too late to do anything about it. They will in the end stand aside and allow Linden to make her final choice, thus reenacting their decision to step aside while Kevin met Foul to perform the Ritual of Desecration. (Stave's strange deference to the Raman Hami has given me that idea.)

I believe Esmer was able to command Anele because Esmer has been to MelenkurionSkyweir, and has found the Earthblood among Elena's ruin.

In short, I believe we are heading toward apocalypse. Because perhaps in the Creator's world Death is the only answer to Despite.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want
to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln

Excerpt from Animal Songs Never Written
"Hey, dad," croaked the vulture, "what are you eating?"
"Carrion, my wayward son."
"Will there be pieces when you are done?"
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I like most of your predictions Ur-bane...but I think the Creater will have an apperance, or already has to someone (Jeramiah?).
I doubt though, that Esmer had anything to do with the Earthblood-his grandmother and father were mortal (or at least mortalish); I beleive it's something you can only handle in one small dose.
I very much agree that there is going to be tons of evil going on in many fronts; and that Linden will be very close to the desparation Kevin felt, or she may even transend it. But I also beleive that alot of it will get headed off. Otherwise it wouldn't be four books long.

It does seem though, that the World ending is the main theme.
What about this---one last ceasere is traveled at the end...it goes
to the end---the Worms awakening, and makes sure when that happens
Foul stays trapped!!

Although the main complaint is that a whole lot of nothing went on in the first book-it has seemed to spark a whole lot of debates as to what will happen. I don't remember racking may brains as much after Lord Foul's Bane or the Wounded Land.[i
Old Darth
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Old Darth »

With Linden being reunited with Jeremiah her motivation for confronting Foul is muted. What will drive her to confront Foul? Will it be Convenant?

I think the joy of their reunion will be shortlived. Linden will be reluctant to hand over the ring to Covenant. How can she know for sure he posseses
the same character traits that enabled him to persevere the last two times? Death will have changed him for sure.
Every man is my superior, in that, I may learn from him.
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

Old Darth wrote:With Linden being reunited with Jeremiah her motivation for confronting Foul is muted. What will drive her to confront Foul? Will it be Convenant?
I think her motivation will still be Jeremiah. The Jeremiah that Linden sees riding is not the same Jeremiah that was taken from her (in the fact that Jeremiah is suddenly interacting with the world.) I think Linden will want to confront Foul because of what Foul has done to Jeremiah.
Old Darth wrote: I think the joy of their reunion will be shortlived. Linden will be reluctant to hand over the ring to Covenant. How can she know for sure he posseses
the same character traits that enabled him to persevere the last two times? Death will have changed him for sure.
I completely agree with this. I think Linden will keep the ring, and will assist Covenant in stopping Joan and Roger (among other things.)
But in the end, we really know nothing about this Covenant.

--Abraham Lincoln

burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Xar, True unless....... Berek is Covenant who died already. "Berek" would be the "future" Covenant in Runes.
I can't see this happening. That seems to cheap for SRD (no offense to your conjecture.)
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

Although the main complaint is that a whole lot of nothing went on in the first book-it has seemed to spark a whole lot of debates as to what will happen. I don't remember racking may brains as much after Lord Foul's Bane or the Wounded Land.[
True, because both books established what the danger was (Foul with the Ill-Earth Stone; Foul’s Sunbane under the Clave) and also gave us a good idea what had to be done about it ultimately (Covenant using the Ring; a new Staff of Law).
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Which, IMHO, makes Runes a better book.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

My point exactly. If kevin's watch had been p and running cirrca 1977, would we be having all these debates (those of us who were alive)?
I'm pretty sure the general assumtion would have been, TC goes back and uses the ring to beat Foul. But right now, no one really has a clue...!
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

I don't know if this qualkifies as an actual prediction, but here goes:

In the First Chronicles, one of the big themes - and Foul's motivation/strategy - involved the question: "What happens when you take everything away from a man?"

In the Second, this theme -and Foul's strategy- was expanded with: "...you give him back something broken."

In the Third, I "predict" that all of this will play out to: "...and then you give him/her something perfect, and force him/her to break it."

(And then, of course, Covenant will give Linden a "Better Answer".)
Jerico
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Jerico »

I think that is is TC at the end of the book. I think the next book will be about how he and Jerimiah came to be at Revelstone at the end of Runes.
I also think that Jerimiah's spirit has been in the Land the whole time, maybe even with TC. This is why he has been an empty shell for ten years since the bonfire. Like Amok he has traveled the world and has gained knowledge from it.
Foul said that he cannot be killed by any mortal hand. Well Esmer isn't mortal, so I think in the end He may actually kill foul, but because of his nature have to wake the worm also.
TC and Linden will save everyone who's with them at the time with the wild magic and the Crator will crate another world for them all to live happily ever after.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

The Elohim have said that Earthpower, of which they are incarnate, is not the answer to Despite. Which implies significantly that they can't kill Foul.

And I doubt they would kill their "parent" just to destroy Foul.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

But Esmer's merewives side, although both serving Kastenessen and keeping much of the Elohim nature, demands not just that he betray, but it demands the destruction of everything. The Elohim may not be capable of destroying the world in order to stop Foul, but Esmer could be. I'm sure he could find a way to do it, too, if there was just some small piece of honour to come from the act to satisfy his Haruchai side.

Plissken - an interesting thought, about the breaking things...

Jerico - I kind of like the idea of seeing how Covenant got to Revelstone in Fatal Revenant, but I'm not sure if Donaldson would do something like that.
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

Murrin wrote:But Esmer's merewives side, although both serving Kastenessen and keeping much of the Elohim nature, demands not just that he betray, but it demands the destruction of everything. The Elohim may not be capable of destroying the world in order to stop Foul, but Esmer could be. I'm sure he could find a way to do it, too, if there was just some small piece of honour to come from the act to satisfy his Haruchai side.
Well said. Esmer gives new meaning to "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." Esmer's nature dictates that he must destroy in order to help. Hence the Fall at the Verge of Wandering. He was using it to help Linden regain the staff, but at the same time, his nature insisted that he do harm as well. Knowing the destruction that would befall the Verge, Esmer acted as he did. Thus satisfying both sides of his nature.

So is it possible that Esmer's help will be enabling the Arch to be saved, while at the same time his hurt will be the destruction of the earth?

This also follows along with Kevin's Dirt......it is helping the Haruchai in their cause of eradicating the Land's past and hindering the use of Earthpower, and yet dooming the Land because its history, and therefore resistance to fight Foul, has been suppressed. All ability to use Earthpower to see is erased. It's got Esmer written all over it.

--Abraham Lincoln

Gart
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Gart »

There is a small indication that it's the Skurj who are behind Kevin's Dirt. When Anele gets sane (briefly), he says:
"Skurj and Elohim. He has broken the Durance. Skurj mar the very air. Oh, the Earth!"
Not definitive but indicative I think.
...but in the morning, I will be sober
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I've done some thinking as of late, and I have come up with this prediction from the next book/books.

Since there are three books left, I can't see them going after Foul right away. Since TC may be somewhat connected with Foul, he'll know when/where/if they can beat him at all.
It's possible that the Elohim may be the real evil anyway, but they probebly don't know how to even attempt to stop anything that those bunch do.
So what can they do?
Well, there are two main disturbances..Kevins Dirt, and the Falls. Linden knows what is causing the Falls: Joan.
I think that there will be a quest to find Joan, who is probebly around the Sarangrave (what with the Skest and all), and stop her, or save her from her tormentor (the Raver).
It's possible that Joan will then join the team (Of Linden/TC/Jeramiah/Anele/Liand/Stave/and possibly the Ramen), and from there, they go hunting Roger, to try to sway him (Or slay him if nessecarry).
BUT, I think the whole time, Linden will not know wether she can trust TC or Jeramiah, and Anele's possessors will cause much havouc, as well and those damn Elohim trying to stop everything too. (Whew)
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

drew wrote:I've done some thinking as of late, and I have come up with this prediction from the next book/books.

I think that there will be a quest to find Joan, who is probebly around the Sarangrave (what with the Skest and all), and stop her, or save her from her tormentor (the Raver).
It's possible that Joan will then join the team (Of Linden/TC/Jeramiah/Anele/Liand/Stave/and possibly the Ramen), and from there, they go hunting Roger, to try to sway him (Or slay him if nessecarry).
Wow... lots of enemies this time.... It was simpler when it was just the Despiser! :D

Drew, I like the observation of the skest, hadn't thought about Joan being in the Sarangrave.

I don't think that Joan will join the team - my prediction is that she will die. The Despiser needs the ring she has, and needs her to give it to him of her own free will. That's probably why she is under control of the Raver, to keep her under wraps until she can be convinced to give up the ring, probably by Roger.

I'm seeing a kind of Mordred/King Arthur type of contest brewing here betweeen Roger and TC - a duel of white gold rings with the Despiser ready to step in and take over after the battle.
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

MrKABC wrote:

I don't think that Joan will join the team - my prediction is that she will die.
Joan was the first translated to the Land by Foul's lightning! I think Runes suggests that Joan, with the white gold, was responsbile for summoning all the others. That would mean Joan dying = everyone else back home!

I think Joan will last to the end of book four!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I predict the Ur-Viles and the Waynhim will team up.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

Creator wrote:
MrKABC wrote:

I don't think that Joan will join the team - my prediction is that she will die.
Joan was the first translated to the Land by Foul's lightning! I think Runes suggests that Joan, with the white gold, was responsbile for summoning all the others. That would mean Joan dying = everyone else back home!

I think Joan will last to the end of book four!
Not necessarily.. Lord Foul was the summoner through Joan, that means Lord Foul has to be defeated in order to reverse the summons.

I think SRD will have a more dramatic finish this time though - nothing as mundane as simply saving the Land and then fading outl...
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Lord Foul breaks free from the Arch of Time, comes to Earth and gets arrested by Sheriff Lytton.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”