Favourite Short Story in Daughter of Regals

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

What is your favourite short story from Daughter of Regals?

Daughter of Regals
27%
Gilden-Fire
12%
Mythological Beast
15%
The Lady in White
6%
Animal Lover
9%
Unworthy of the Angel
15%
The Conquerer Worm
3%
Ser Visal's Tale
12%

Total votes: 33

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Favourite Short Story in Daughter of Regals

Post by variol son »

I would have to say Daughter of Regals itself, but I still have Animal Lover and Unworthy of the Angel to go.

I loved Chrysalis. I loved her story, her struggle. And I loved the world that SRD created for her.

Sum sui generis
Vs
Last edited by variol son on Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I also love Daughter of Regals. In addition to what you said, I love the way Donaldson plays with the power of wood, stone, and blood -- the same things that can have great power in the Land. :)
Love as thou wilt.

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I know, it's great! :D

I actually think that Daughter of Regals would make a great film. It is true Donaldson, but also enough of it is external so that it would come across as a film.

Sum sui generis
Vs

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I've got to go with "Daughter of Regals" too. I think it's the perfect distillation of what at the time SRD meant by What It Means To Be Human. Being Real (i.e. Human) means having Courage, Faith, Love, Fear, Doubt, and Hatred all at the same time. It's that contradiction--the ability to be simultaneously courageous and fearful, the ability to love and hate the same person at the same time--that makes us human. It's the ability to stand in the center of paradox and choose, as Chrysalis did. (And as TC did. And Terisa. And Morn and even Angus.)
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I read the book three times before I read SVT, but when I finally decided to read it, I was amazed.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I finished Animal Lover and Unworthy of the Angel yesterday at work, and while I liked Animal Lover, I thought that Unworthy of the Angel was just amazing.

Like Chrysalis', our protagonist has to choose. However, his choice is much more like Lord Mhoram's, and Bannor's and Foamfollower's.

He chooses to give aid to one who does not deserve it, because in doing so he will save someone who does, in the same way Atiaran helped Covenant so that he could save the Land.

And he doesn't give up on Reese because he has no choice. Not really. Giving up would go against who he is, even though he doesn't know who he is.

Wow is all I can say.

Sum sui generis
Vs

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I'd have to agree with you there. Unworthy of the Angel is my second favorite story in the book. I think it's more atmospheric than a lot of SRD's stuff--as though it were more of an exercise in creating a sense-picture than a word picture. You can almost feel the mugginess of the streets, smell the garbage & sweat, feel the evil...Dam' good stuff.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Ilove many of them from this collection (as with the second), but I think my two fav are "Animal Lover" and "Unworthy of an Angel".
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

"Unworthy of the Angel", "Mythological Beast", and "Gilden-Fire", in that order. :)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Just picked up a copy of Daughter of Regals yesterday, so I won't vote until I've read it again. (It's been a long time) ;)

--A
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I just reread The Conquerer Worm. I'm not saying it's my fav, but EEEOUCH! What a nasty ending! 8O
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Daughter of Regals was an incredible story. I've read it at least a dozen times, and have longed for a full-length novel, if not a series set in that world.

However, I voted for Unworthy of the Angel. I remember reading it for the first time; not so much just reading it, but experiencing it, feeling it. When I finally set the book down, there was a rather disconcerting moment while the real world reasserted itself back around me. 8O

Very, very few other stories have had that effect on me.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Ellester
Stonedownor

Post by Ellester »

I voted Animal Lover; I just thought it was a great idea and a lot of fun. It was really a horror story where you were scared, which I liked. And heck who doesn’t like animals with guns? lol

But I will say I thought Daughters was the best written, but were choosing for our favorites here.
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

While Daughter of Regals was very good I'm going to have to go with Mythological Beast. This story for some reason just grabbed me right away & kept me interested all the way to the end. Gilden Fire I will exclude as this is in my mind apart of the Chrons.

So -

1. Mythological Beast - gripping, fast paced & off the wall sci-fi
2. Animal Lover - action sci-fi with some decent creepy bad guys
3. Daughter of Regals - epic story with excellent writing
4. Unworthy of the Angel - original take on angels & demons
5. The Lady in White - a little too ho-hum with fairy-talishness
6. The Conquerer Worm - loved the couples problems

7. Ser Visal's Tale (haven't finished yet) -
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

I voted for Daughter of Regals, although I rate it equal to Gilden-Fire. But I don't consider Gilden-Fire a true short story, but rather a chapter in a novel.
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

I'm currently rereading DoR and am currently on Unworthy of the Angel.

Really enjoyed Animal Lover. Is this the type of writing you see in the Reed Stevens novels? I have one on my shelf but have not gotten around to reading any. Loved his hard boiled detective/secret agent character. I find I remembered nothing from DoR but the title story and Gilden Fire. It's like finding new Donaldson thanks to my 25 year old memory!
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

You know, it's been years since I read it and can't remember! I'll be having an instore credit with B&N, may be time to remedy that!
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

Finished my reread. Great collection!

I rate them as follows:

5 stars
Daughter of Regals
Gilden-Fire
Animal Lover
Ser Visal's Tale

4 stars
Mythological Beast
Unworthy of the Angel

3 stars
The Lady in White

1 star
The Conqueror Worm
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I really enjoyed Unworthy of the Angel. :D

Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

I agree, Wyldewode. That's my favortie of the Regals collection. (Hence my screen name :) ). Though Ser Visal's Tale was fantastic as well. :D
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”