The Big Question

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Kevin son of Ireland
Woodhelvennin

Post by Kevin son of Ireland »

Personally i think it would be too easy (and maybe a little too cheap) for SRD to present one of the current characters as being the original Berek. I mean it would certainly make a mockery of the grand tale we heard in LFB, of the Queens champion giving his all to serve her and defeat the power crazy King.

I would like that part of the story to remain essentially true and free from corruption so to speak. Although the only character whom SRD could have play this role, i feel would have to be Liand. He's the only one i can picture calling out to the Earth to save itself. Also this would mean that he was Lindens champion and Covenant was the KIng gone mad - you see, it really is a little too cheap, no?
"For one more moment, he stood still, staring at the pattern woven into the shoulders of her shift. Then a flood of revelations crashed through him, and he understood. He stumbled ....His stomach churned, and he gagged, trying to heave up his emptiness"
King Elessar 8
Woodhelvennin

Post by King Elessar 8 »

amanibhavam wrote:The question has been asked in the Gradual Interview, and SRD's answer was something like "myth, prophecy, lore?".
Lore has to have a source, so that explanation doesnt work. A myth makes no sense - a myth about a substance that doesnt exist anywhere in the Earth, but yet still exists elsewhere? That would appear to be a stunning coincidence. Plus, the Lords dont act in LFB as if they think White Gold was/is mythical. When Covenant arrives, all of the Lords instantly know what the Ring he carries is made out of, suggesting that have rather certain knowledge of the substance and subject. A prophecy is the most likely of the three, although again prophecies arent usually specific enough to provide much in the way of detail - Im assuming that the prophecy was probably the basis for the song about white gold. This still leaves the question open - how did the Lords instantly know the ring Covenant bore was White Gold when they had never seen it, nor had anyone else in their world? Based on what is said in the text, they had never even encountered actual gold.
Jerico
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Jerico »

White gold graven in every rock. If the earthpower spoke to Berek how could it not tell him of it? It is the crux of the earth. The Lords knew of it before TC ever came.
If the time travel twist puts someone from the future being Berek then it would be part of their myth and lore. 8O
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

The Land's Earth is a created world - its Creator could have put this unconcious subliminal collective knowledge into its inhabitants during their creation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

That point also proves that TC won't be Berek. The world was created, why would the creator offer TC a chance to live a normal at the end of 1st chrons. if he was to become Berek 7000 years later.
The only cirle I can see, is TC becoming the creator...and of course the despiser too. As far as someone else (jeramia/liand) becoming Berek...well Berek wasn't Adam...he wasn't the first man...the world was around for quite a while I imagine before him.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
King Elessar 8
Woodhelvennin

Post by King Elessar 8 »

Im going to guess that Berek turns out to be nobody but Berek.

However, there is some story behind why he set the Guardian at the Isle of the One Tree, when looking into the future he should have forseen that there would be need someday for a Second Staff of Law. Whatever it was that was behind his intention in this action I do believe will eventually be revealed.
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

Who is Susie Thurston?

Post by Khat »

OK the only Susie Thurston I found was on the www.idahopeaceofficersmemorial.com/Bric ... -X-Y-Z.htm Idaho Peace Officers Memorial listed under "Wesley & Susie Thurston"

I don't think she was ever in a TC book unless she was the little girl who got bitten by the snake?
[spoiler]"...the loveliness of the Land has only grown more precious to me as my senses have been
opened...To turn homeward now would be to pass from treasure-berries to dust."
-- Liand to Linden [P324 Runes][/spoiler]
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Who is Susie Thurston?

Post by Creator »

khatalenabwraith wrote:OK the only Susie Thurston I found was on the www.idahopeaceofficersmemorial.com/Bric ... -X-Y-Z.htm Idaho Peace Officers Memorial listed under "Wesley & Susie Thurston"

I don't think she was ever in a TC book unless she was the little girl who got bitten by the snake?
Look in "The Illearth War" - chapter two - Halfhand. She's the singer at the bar.
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

Susie Thurston --

Post by Khat »

Thank you for opening my eyes Creator...
I need to go on a quest to get my own copies of the 1st and 2nd Chronicles. I have forgotten more than I remember.

I hold white gold in reverent honor of past lives but am not a true half hand I weild only when I must.
[spoiler]"...the loveliness of the Land has only grown more precious to me as my senses have been
opened...To turn homeward now would be to pass from treasure-berries to dust."
-- Liand to Linden [P324 Runes][/spoiler]
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I have forgotten more than I remember.
Don't feel bad, I'd forgotten who she was also.
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

I think that the "time travel" plot will have run its course except for small instances like conjuring up the essence of the Illearth Stone.

I don't believe that we will get much more information about Berek or the Old Lords other than what has already been told - to start making current characters replace "prequel" characters would wreck the story, IMHO. Of course, if you open "Fatal Revenant" and see a map of Doriendor Corishev in the front of the book - you will rest assured that my prediction was wrong!

LFB said that Berek knew about white gold, and High Lord Kevin had wanted it very badly before committing the Ritual of Desecration out of despair. Therefore, the new Lords would have known about white gold since the knowledge (presumably) contained in the Wards.
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”