Moderator: dlbpharmd

ceallaighq
Servant of the Land

Post by ceallaighq »

And where are the coursers?
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

ceallaighq wrote:And where are the coursers?
Coursers were creatures of the Sunbane. No Sunbane, no Coursers... :lol:

I don't think the Sandgorgons will factor in this time... If I were SRD I would focus on NEW things, like the Demondim. He's already dredged up enough stuff from the past (Anele, son of Sunder and Hollian, and Esmer, son of Cail) and IMHO needs to forge in different directions from the other Chronicles. If not, the book is a retread and will get tired quickly.
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I think he HAS to bring back the Sandgorgons - Nom's rending of samadhi Sheol was an obvious loose end, and both Anele and the harbinger elohim referred to Sandgorgons.
ceallaighq
Servant of the Land

Post by ceallaighq »

The Coursers were breed to withstand and be controlled by the Sunbane, but they didn't just disappear once the Sunbane was gone. Did they?

I want the Sandgorgons back too. They were kick ass. I remember gasping when TC said Nom's name. You don't get that often in a book. :)
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

The Coursers were breed to withstand and be controlled by the Sunbane, but they didn't just disappear once the Sunbane was gone. Did they?
I certainly don't think so - surely the course of their lives continued. But since they were bred from the Sunbane, when the Coursers that were alive at the end of WGW died, then there would be no more. I don't expect any sort of sur-jherrin (sp?) miracle here.
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

My guess is that they would have become wild and uncontrollable, as those in TWL did when Memla was killed and her power over them ceased. (In fact this pretty may have happened when the Banefire was quenched.) Quite possibly they were unable to breed naturally, and even if long-lived they are probably all gone by the time of Runes.
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

Do any of ya'll think that it is possible that the Sandgorgons have some of the same capabilities to 'ride' time as the Ranhyn? When TC summoned Nom, he had a hell of a far way to go to get to him at Revelstone, yet he made all the way from Brathairealm (spelling?) to Revelstone rather quickly, don't you think?

Maybe at some point that will be addressed in the upcoming books...
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

jelerak,
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I never thought about that!
Nice.
It does seem like a similar ability.
Though I seem to remember that there was some time delay with Nom getting to Revelstone and not instant like the Ranyhyn.
Possibly enough time for an immensely powerful being like a Sandgorgon to make it.
I mean if Oceans aren't stopping it, it must be moving pretty fast!
But that delay seems to say it's different than the Ranyhyn.
IMHO.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

jelerak wrote:Do any of ya'll think that it is possible that the Sandgorgons have some of the same capabilities to 'ride' time as the Ranhyn? When TC summoned Nom, he had a hell of a far way to go to get to him at Revelstone, yet he made all the way from Brathairealm (spelling?) to Revelstone rather quickly, don't you think?

It was already addressed in TOT... Kasreyn of the Gyre said "Distance has no meaning to such power" and "The Sandgorgons answer their release swiftly" when asked about the ability of Sandgorgons.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Ranyhyn do not appear instantaneously either. They were always summoned by 3 whistles, after the third there was a slight delay before they appeared.
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

The Ranyhyn remind me of the "Fire Mares" from the wonderful movie Krull. :P
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

This question has bothered me...

Post by lurch »

...the situation would have to be quite dire to summon a sandgorgon. Maybe the question is illstated..how long before...perhaps, " Nom" stated whilst in a caesure,,the time element becomes moot,,but from our perspective,things remain somewhat linear...hhmm..a sandgorgon dealing with Joans insanity,,hey, she did get hit with a bolt of lightning...MEL
timbley
Servant of the Land

Post by timbley »

The Dreaming wrote:Well, we are dealing with a time travel story, anything is possible. I am pretty sure Donaldson has been hinting that we get to visit the land in the time of the Old Lords.
OMG, I never thought of that! That would totally rock. Imagine reading about a council with Loric, Damaleon (sp?), or even Berek. Crazy crazy crazy!
Free.Your.Mind.
timbley
Servant of the Land

Post by timbley »

dlbpharmd wrote:I think he HAS to bring back the Sandgorgons - Nom's rending of samadhi Sheol was an obvious loose end, and both Anele and the harbinger elohim referred to Sandgorgons.
Bringing back the Giants and the Sandgorgons would be a great way to destroy the other 2 ravers for good.

This would be a cool storyline... Because the Haruchai have spurned visits from the Giants (maybe violently?) the Giants assume that the Haruchai have been mastered by Lord Foul. So the Giants team up with the now-intelligent Sandgorgons and form a combined Giant/Sandgorgon army to overcome the Haruchai and reclaim the Land in the name of the Ur-Lord. Along the way, they destroy the other 2 ravers.

Heh.
Free.Your.Mind.
timbley
Servant of the Land

Post by timbley »

jelerak wrote:Do any of ya'll think that it is possible that the Sandgorgons have some of the same capabilities to 'ride' time as the Ranhyn? When TC summoned Nom, he had a hell of a far way to go to get to him at Revelstone, yet he made all the way from Brathairealm (spelling?) to Revelstone rather quickly, don't you think?

I've always wondered just how BIG their world is. The Land itself seems pretty small. Maybe 1000 miles by 1000 miles (Mithil Stonedown is about 300 leagues from Revelstone, right? 1 league is approx. 3 miles). So, about 1/4 the size of the US or so? How fast would something have to be travelling to cover THAT distance in the time it took Nom (nevermind the ocean he would have had to swim). I suspect Nom would have had to travel faster than the speed of sound and was kind of disappointed that SRD didn't describe a sonic boom when Nom arrived. :-) It definitely wasn't instantaneous, though... unlike the Ranyhyn.
Free.Your.Mind.
timbley
Servant of the Land

Post by timbley »

dlbpharmd wrote:Ranyhyn do not appear instantaneously either. They were always summoned by 3 whistles, after the third there was a slight delay before they appeared.
Yes, but the Ranyhyn *purposefully* don't arrive right on the third whistle... They are just creating some dramatic tension for the whistler. :-)
Free.Your.Mind.
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

I agree that it wasn't as instantaneous as the Ranhym but it does seem to be a lot faster than possible just by running. IIRC it was almost straight away.

I'm still betting that Sandgorgon's Doom is a Caesure and that's how they do the time thing.
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

native wrote:

I'm still betting that Sandgorgon's Doom is a Caesure and that's how they do the time thing.
If it is, NOM can unmake it!! Call him (it?) quickly Linden!!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

Nom.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

native wrote: I'm still betting that Sandgorgon's Doom is a Caesure and that's how they do the time thing.
No way.
Unless everything is going to be rewritten, we know who made the Doom, and how and everything else about it worth mentioning.
IMHO.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”