Who will get the Staff of Law [Edit - SPOILER]?

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

safetyjedi
The Gap Into Spam

Who will get the Staff of Law [Edit - SPOILER]?

Post by safetyjedi »

I was just wondering, any speculation? I first thought that Linden would automatically give it to him but I'm not so sure now that I have reread parts of Runes.[/b]
Join me and we can end this destructive conflict...
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

The Staff will most likely stay with Linden(seeing as she is very adept at Staff of Law weilding,and somewhere is it not said that it was made for her hands?)Now the ring?HMMMMMM?I have a feeling that if it is truely TC and Jeremiah riding into the story at the end of Runes (there being there made possible by the breaking of certain laws)that Lindens use of the staff will be either greatly hindered or cut off completely(if she wants them to hang around).
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

If its not him i doubt she would would give him the ring, yet i for one would love to see TC playing with the Wiold Magic once more.
I would think that she would have the Staff and he the ring, if it is the real him.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

The Staff of Law is as much Linden's primary tool of experession as the Ring is Covenant's. I don't see her giving it up willingly, unti/unless Anele is ready to reveal and accept his own role.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

There'd be no point giving the Staff to Covenant - he wouldn't know what to do with it. Besides, it was made by Linden, it's an articulation of her in many ways; it makes sense that she keeps it.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I imagine, Linden will keep it, until Anele is ready for it.
Although, she twice gave in to Liand for safe keeping.

The ring is a tough one, one would think she'd give it to Covenant but when Covenant shows up...[Warning MAJOR SPOILER taken from a reading from the 1st chapter of FR]

Spoiler
I don't think she could give him the ring, according to....kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6308&highlight=
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

NO! I'm not reading it ! YOU CANT MAKE ME!!!!! :x
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

Drew that is an evil, mean, cruel thing that you do! But hey, I am stronger than that little black bar and I can resist. You evil tempter you!
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
JD
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by JD »

I think Linden will hold on to the staff until Anele is ready and able to accept it. At the moment Anele's sanity is not too stable and the fact the Foul can possess Anele at will, would make Linden a little nervous about handing over the Staff of Law.

As far as the White Gold Ring, Mhoram told Covenant that he is the White Gold. I think Covenant doesn't need the ring to wield the Wild Magic.
safetyjedi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by safetyjedi »

My thoughts exactly, unless either that is not TC or if somehow TC is no longer the white gold after his fall from the arch.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

onewyteduck wrote:Drew that is an evil, mean, cruel thing that you do! But hey, I am stronger than that little black bar and I can resist. You evil tempter you!
In case you didn't look, the spoiler is just a link to a Kevinswatch Thread were someone who attended a convention heard Donaldsons reading ...it's not like I hacked somewhere and stole it or anything....anyone who's read the General SRD disscosions about 6weeks ago, probebly already read it.
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I think I'll be a bit disappointed if TC turns out to be real and "in the flesh". His death at the end of the 2nd Chrons had a great impact, and some sort of magical resurrection would, I think, cheapen it in some respects.

--A
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

I think in order to speculate properly on the Staff's potential owner, we need to ask ourselves this:

Will Linden remain in the Land after Foul is once again defeated? (This is the only scenario in which that choice would remain, and the destruction of the Earth, should that be the outcome, makes the question of the Staff moot.)

At the end of TPTP, Covenant, by the gratitude of the Creator, is offered the opportunity to live out the rest of his days in the Land in health as befits a hero. Covenant refuses.

Should Linden accept such an offer, would she then hold the Staff and create her own new Council of Lords? In her never-ending quest to heal and be needed, I think that this decision would suit her character. She would want to stay somewhere where she could make a difference. Somewhere where her holding the Staff gives her the healing power she so deperately needs. It would also make her needed by those who remain in the Land.

Also, what is left for her in her real world? Only death.
Should she be offered the same choice as Covenant, I think it a logical conclusion that she would take it, and would truly be the owner of the Staff for quite some time.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want
to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln

Excerpt from Animal Songs Never Written
"Hey, dad," croaked the vulture, "what are you eating?"
"Carrion, my wayward son."
"Will there be pieces when you are done?"
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I don't think the staff belongs to her though.
She made it, Yes.
But she made it for the Land, d the People of the Land.
She' not the same as Berek, becasue Berek was of the Land. It was Anele's staff last; though he doesn't want it right now, I think a time will come when he does want it back, and when that happens, he should be able to wield it no problem.

If not Anele, then Liand-we've already seen hints of his capibilities.
When he was running along by the Mithl Plunge, Linden remarked to herself how after all this time, the Stowndowners still have their native stone-lore.
She askes the Voice why it would be so bad if he were a Graveler..and as I mentioned earlier, he has held the SOL twice.

I, personally, think it would be pretty jerky if Linden decided to be the high and mighty weilder of all things powerfull for the rest of the Lands time.
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

drew wrote:...
I, personally, think it would be pretty jerky if Linden decided to be the high and mighty weilder of all things powerfull for the rest of the Lands time.
I am in complete agreement with you, drew. It would indeed be jerky of her to claim the Staff and wield it in a position of power.
However, my statement was based on her character, and her longing for power. Unlike Covenant, she wants power. She needs power. She is unable to let things happen around her without her taking part in them, controlling them.

She has this unquenchable thirst to be needed.
Based solely on what I know of her, I would not put it past her to accept a gift that Covenant refused. Whether or not that decision is right, I cannot say.

On the other hand, Linden is continually developing. She is as fluid a character as I have met in SRD's works. Perhaps she will surprise me with her decisions. There is strength in power, but surely power is not the only strength. Linden has the advantage of dealing with her situations in the past without true "power." Because of that, she has earned what power she does now possess.

Another question tht begs asking is: where will we be left at the conclusion? Will SRD leave us in the present, or will he leave us in the past?
If all is well, and Time is repaired, then Anele should naturally be brought back to his own time, and he should take the Staff with him. [IMHO]
But if it is not, and we are left with the idea that time will continue to move forward regardless of the past 3,000 years, who better than Linden [at his moment] to wield the Staff?

She may not have been born of the Land, but certainly it is very much a part of her, just as she is a part of it.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want
to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln

Excerpt from Animal Songs Never Written
"Hey, dad," croaked the vulture, "what are you eating?"
"Carrion, my wayward son."
"Will there be pieces when you are done?"
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I can't see Anele going back in time, to claim his rightfull place...since the past already happened, and he would fundimentally change it, damaging the AOT too much. The same way that Linden was warned by Stave not to Alter Anything -which forced her to bring the Demondim to the present.

I just can't see Linden keeping the staff though.
I think she'll keep it for a while, maybe even the next book or two, but in the End (if the Land survives) she will probebly give it up. It is for a Lander's use.

My money is on Liand, I think Anele will die sometime before the end.
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I don't see Anele getting the Staff.
He's an Unfettered One.
The "call" of the Unfettered is what led him to leave the Staff (before the Staff "left" him).
A restored/healed Anele will want to follow his calling not become a Lord or a champion of Earthpower.

Just knowing that the Staff has been found might be enough to end Anele's need for the Staff.
Now he can go back to being a quirky Unfettered, who occasionally gets possessed by demonic beings 8O
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
safetyjedi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by safetyjedi »

She has no where else to go either.. I suppose another question would be is that really her son with TC at the end? It would not surprise me if it isn't or if he or TC is a raver in disguise. I guess we'll find out next year.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”