What's Happening?

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Immanentizing The Eschaton

What's Happening?

Post by Avatar »

Wow. It's been a long time since the Close has been this quiet. What's happening? Where are the debates, the rapier wit, the cut and thrust of theological discussion? Everybody tired? Lazy? Too busy with other things?

The world hasn't stopped you know. Information flows, perceptions are experienced, created, influenced, everything is happening all around us, all of the time. We're supposed to be commenting on it, making observations, disagreeing on the nature of it. Not drifting idly through a wasteland.

;)

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I am meditating.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!

Post by Avatar »

Hmm. While I don't deny that it's good for you, I do think that people sometimes lose sight of the fact that it is a means to an end, not an end in itself. And at that, an end that can only really be achieved if you're going to dedicate yourself to doing it for the next 20 years or so. Personally, I gave it up years ago.

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I think we're observing a week of mourning for losing Dennis. ;)
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner

Post by Avatar »

:) In that case, I'll bow my head and remain silent for as long as I can manage.

--A
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

*grin* I'm watching Oprah.

Other than that, I just haven't been feeling all that argumentative...and I'm only online a few times a week now because my dial-up modem is fried...I have to wait for access to high-speed to get online...I have high-speed at my city place, but I've been staying with my parents in the country more often because the city's had water problems (due to flooding)...
Anyway...that's my excuse :D
"A choice made freely is stronger than one compelled"
- Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

I dedicate this post to the fine looking babe above me...

Post by lurch »

…Well, the Big Slime is upon us here in the desert. The Big Slime is as if upon every venture to the outdoors is an actual wander into a open mouth of a fetid breath , rotted teeth, just after licking himself or herself, and digesting yesterdays road kill,,dog….a really big dog. 100, 101, 102, 103,105 degree day is compounded in torture by the 75 80 85 90 percent humidity level.

Oppressive is not quite the rite word in description because, the discomfort is all over not just from above, and there is no real quantitative value set . I mean,,there is a quanity value applicable ,,as in,,Its so hot ,,that DeNiro, Hoffman, Jollie, Pitt, Kidman, Cain and Hackman are all trying to get a staring role in it . Its so hot, that Emerl Legousse doesn’t even want to take it up a notch..,Bam!…Its so hot..Dice Clay asked for it stick around for awhile longer after making love to it..Its so hot,,, why just this morning I saw a Saguaro Cactus driving a Winnibago up I-17 heading for Flagstaff…and speakin of obtuse, its so hot,,apon introduction, I knew its name ( 10 degree cold points for whoever gets that one)..its so hot,,McIllhieny(spl) and Sons have put it in a bottle and named the new sauce ,”You gotta be freekin crazy to even try to put up with this ..”..Its so hot,,the pawn shop down the street won’t even take it…Its soooo hot..Puff Daddy already has a line of clothing all about it and is making Millions,,millions I tell ya…Its soo hot,,how hot is it Johnny?..its so hot…its already made reservations to be on Larry King Live,,interviewed by Barbra Walters on 20/20,,guest on Leno and Letterman,,joke with Stewart, Conan and visit the Betty Ford Clinic!.

…Well, yes, if ya couldn’t tell,,the monsoon season is upon us here in the desert. Its our winter, inthat we stay indoors ( thank goodness we don’t have to shovel it) and generally don’t come outside until after sundown…That’s what happening. It doesn’t matter if you are ina hurry, or not,,you are still going to sweat your arse off……MEL

Post by Avatar »

Man, 40°C and 90% humidity? Thats rough. It's the middle of winter here. In fact, yesterday was the Winter Solstice. Hasn't been that cold though, where I stay, we haven't dropped below zero (C) yet. Can you say Global Climate Change? Recent studies reckon that it's gonna nail us in the next 10-15 years. They're already working out which crops will have to be planted etc. because of moving rainfall areas etc.

--A
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Welcome to Winnipeg's weather forecast: today is going to be partly cloudy and hot (high of 31 C) with 30% chance of showers and a risk of thunderstorms. Winds will be from the south at 30 km/h. The UV Index will be 8 or very high--so lather on that sunblock! Fortunately, I intend to stay in air-conditioned places for most of the day, like movie houses.
Avatar wrote:Everybody tired? Lazy? Too busy with other things?
Yes. The few, the proud, the lazy. (Sitting in my comfy theatre chair enjoying Episode III for an unidentifed number of times.)

Post by Avatar »

:lol: Unidentified? Or undisclosed? ;)

Sounds pretty good. Can't wait for bloody Winter to be over. Still, past the longest night now, so we're getting closer to summer while you get further away.

Have a good one. I'm shivering at work, trying to motivate myself to get started on the next project, or at least get up to go and have a cigarette. Ce la vie. *shrugs*

--A
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

It's awful here, we're suffering temperatures of almost 30°C and I can hardly sleep at night because of the high temperature! I'm sweating all day and the first bit of cold water out of the tap comes out warm. It's all a nightmare!
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]

Post by Avatar »

:D Sorry dude, when you talk about feeling like that when temps are almost 30°, I feel the same way you do when I moan about maximum temps of 16°. Like laughing. ;) Wish it was warm here. :lol:

--A
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Nathan wrote:It's awful here, we're suffering temperatures of almost 30°C and I can hardly sleep at night because of the high temperature! I'm sweating all day and the first bit of cold water out of the tap comes out warm. It's all a nightmare!
It hits at least 40 here in Queensland during the summer!
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Drifting idly through wastelands is my new hobby. So is making mango-strawberry smoothies. And finding new walks to take. I found one a couple of days ago, along the marshy banks of the Mystic River. Cormorants perch on decaying docks and cedar waxwings play in the thick midsummer foliage. Butterflies flitter through the rushes. Dogs loll their tongues as they jog with their humans. Middle-aged guys on workman's comp drink lite beer out of plastic cups, hoping no one notices. And all the time the sluggish water creeps by, studded with seagulls and lilypads. Wanna fight about it? ;)
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Question...

Post by lurch »

..I have a question...has anybody ever written the Hamlet story, from the perspective of Ophelia? Myste, your above post suggests that. It just struck me as Ophelian. ,,Something to do?.............MEL
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Sitting in my comfy theatre chair enjoying Episode III for an unidentifed number of times.)
So how many times is it? I stopped at 3.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Question...

Post by Myste »

lurch wrote:..I have a question...has anybody ever written the Hamlet story, from the perspective of Ophelia? Myste, your above post suggests that. It just struck me as Ophelian. ,,Something to do?.............MEL
There's a young reader's novel called "Dating Hamlet" which I have a copy of, but haven't read yet. It's not a bad idea, though. Maybe I'll try it sometime, instead of drifting idly through wastelands. ;)
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Kymbierlee
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kymbierlee »

It's going to be 98F here Tuesday (my BD, BTW- Oh goody). Average of 93 over the weekend. Too hot to think, or debate, or whatever, but I am stuck in the middle of midterms. Just finished a 19 page paper, so I am too hot and tired to even type in complete sentences. Still, I noticed it has been quiet around the Watch too. I am sure it will liven back up when winter returns to those of us in the Northern Hemisphere.

Av- try to stay warm, I'd love to bottle up some of the air around here and send it to you.

I'll post more after midterms, I hope.......

BB all.

Kym
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire.

Post by Avatar »

We hope so too Kym. ;)

--A

Return to “The Close”